Page 1 of 2 1 2
#496844 10/20/18 05:46 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Soundcloud-Goodbyes to last sunset

Hi folks.
Here is a tune I made recently using BIAB/Cakewalk.
I would appreciate constructive critique on mixing. Especially how the voice "sits" in the mix. What can be done to improve overall sound..? Perhaps something obvious please like: more/less EQ, more/less compression, effects.. Time does not permit to sit and mix for long time, so looking for ways to get mix under control using some fast techniques. I am not touchy, and will not cry if you say that whole thing is crap, just explain why and what can be done to improve please. Thank you!

BIAB, Cakewalk, Izotope Nectar, myself.

BIAB:

1293: Bass Electric, TexMexCountry
580:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Blues Roadhouse
RealDrums=TexMexCountryEV8
~522:Guitar,Acoustic, Fingerpicking
~543:Guitar,Electric, Rhytm Dreamy
2035: Mandolin, Soloist CountryAndy
438:Sax,Alto, Older Sw

Empty streets, nobody around
Nobody to blame, nobody to follow
Nobody to hate and nobody to love

I am standing at the corner,
smoking cigarette
Saying my goodbyes to last sunset

As degrading locomotion,
as a doctors precautions
as spontaneous combustion
like photography emulsion
fading over time.

I am standing at the corner,
smoking cigarette
Saying my goodbyes to last sunset

Velvet sky, stars like sugar sprinkles
Breeze is tickling cobalt periwinkles
Night is mute,
Just trees are chatting among themselves.

I am standing at the corner
out of cigarettes.
Lazy moon is gently peeking
from the clouds-duvets.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I like the song. Vocal's not intelligible, it's getting drowned out by the instruments. Bring that sucka UP!

Extra points for using "spontaneous combustion" in the lyric. grin

Regards,

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Online Happy
Veteran
Greetings!

I've read several of your posts. You are passionate about your hobby. It is great to have someone with your energy and excitement become a member of the forum so welcome!

So you will know what I'm basing my comments on, I'm using an inexpensive Logitech combination open back headphones/microphone headset connected to a V2.0 USB port of an older Windows 7 laptop.

I listened to "Goodbyes To Last Sunset" but did not get very excited about the song. Some of that is because most Latin based material doesn't thrill me.

In this song I don't think the RealTracks instrument selections matches the song very well. They really don't add much feeling to the song. While sampling a selection of other songs you've posted I found many of the instrument arrangements contributed to the feel of the song better than this time. A really good example is "Blazhenniy /Holly Fool". That is a song I enjoyed listening to. I instrument selection was interesting, unexpected and added to the emotion of the song.

Your mix is okay but feels overly compressed with much of the energy squeezed out. You need to add more high frequency content to all you songs but "Goodbyes To Last Sunset" really needs it.

The vocalist (is that you, you have a nice sounding voice) does not sing with energy in this song. In places the words are muddled, not clear. It sounds like the vocalist is not that interested in the song.

Before you discovered Band-in-a-Box, what did you use for backing tracks? I ask because the backing track arrangements are very interesting. The songs labeled simply "1", "2" & "3" are good examples of some interesting song arrangements.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
There is a lot to like about this. It is an interesting write - a bit "too poetic" for my taste, but I think it works.

Jim gave a thorough critique, I think, but I would disagree on a few of his points. (I do enjoy listening to an occasional Latin song - and I think this one works as one). I thought the vocal had the "energy" it needed (I liked it). And I did not have a problem with the selection of instruments.

There is a bit of difficulty hearing some of the vocal (not much, I don't think). I like the "warmth" of the vocal. The "problem" (if you want to call it that) is that the instruments are all vying for the same frequency range (the middle to low- middle) - including the vocal. The guitars in particular are a big part of that problem. Many of the RealTrack acoustic guitars sound GREAT by themselves, by in a full mix are far too "bass-y", "thick" in the low mid range. That is really the case with the two guitars you have (I think - it would help if you listed the RealTracks you are using - particularly if you want people to talk about the mix.

I believe your acoustic guitars need to have the low end roll off (a bunch) and the high end (EQ) raised to make them "sparkle" and not compete with the rest of the track - and especially the vocal. AND they could be panned a little farther out - they sound like they are fairly close to the center?

These are all simply opinions (as you know). Again, I would suggest that you list the RTs so we can speak to them more specifically...

Welcome to the Showcase! A good first post...

fj

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
90 dB,
Thank you! I actually thought that vocals are too loud. Mixing is my nemesis smile
Will try to balance it more.

Jim, Super thank you for honesty!
I like to experiment with styles and try to do as much improvising as I can.
Took note of HF and compression and will try to play around with these.

Before BIAB... whatever I could get a hold of. Life musicians, arranger styles, loops, hardware sequencers such as Yamaha QY. Anything that worked effectively fast as time is very limited.

For example this song (Goodbyes to last sunset) I wrote in a day and a half. You are right, I could of singed better smile but I am more interested in variety, sort of musical sketches. If I enjoy the style I can "stay in it" for longer period which would translate in better vocals. But usually I do not come back to "re-write" song, only to re-mix.

Thank you!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Listing the RT's would help regarding a critique. Use of panning and eq can help tracks sit in their place. Look at the eq of each and find what tracks are sharing a lot of the same range(s)...you can then raise or lower (preferably lower) certain ranges to reduce conflict. Try not to pan tracks on the same side if they occupy a lot of the same eq spectrum. While panning is left and right judicious use of reverb can give a sense of moving a track forward. Izotope's Neutron 2 has a feature that lets you compare any tracks you want to simultaneously and see where they are "fighting" for the same space. Great feature.

Having blathered all that...we like the write, the vocal and the groove. You mentioned not having much time for mixing but with mixing the devil is in the details. It takes time to learn about it and time to execute it. And at some undefinable point things become easier and faster. FWIW

Enjoyed it. Best to you on the sonic journey...

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Floyd Jane, looks like I lost the bet, you gain!
But actually, I want to say thanks to you and to all: Bob, Jim, Janice & Bud that contributed! Very good read!

It seems my main concern with mix should be overlapping of frequencies / EQ and panning.

The panning part I am a bit confused by. How is this done? Vocals to one side & Instruments to the other or something like: Bass and drums go together and the rest opposite? Is there a general concept with panning for very basic mix?

Mixing just drives me nuts. Sometimes when I do it, I feel like a witch who is making a very untasty soup. Hopefully it will get better smile

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Mike,

I like the vibe that you've created. I'm a fan of Latin music and your arrangement makes good use of signature Latin sounds.

While I often find lyrics such as these that travel along the road of the impressionistic artist and the poet difficult to appreciate fully, I thought that your words worked well, very well in fact, when framed by the Latin backing. Your singing also works really well with this style.

Since you have asked for feedback regarding the mix...

In my headphones, your vocals 'sound' like they are mixed more-or-less ok. While they're probably a little on the softer and slightly uneven side, the main problem (as I hear it, at least) is one of definition in that the mid-to-low frequencies have crowded up on one another and individual sounds are masking aspects of one another. To some extent, this also seems to have impacted on the panning. The net result is that clarity is reduced.

As floyd has mentioned, the low end on guitars is often responsible for this. Pianos, too, add to this issue when used. With a single guitar backing, it's not a problem. When two or more guitars get together and then bass is added, though, the problem of low frequency clashes becomes something to watch for because it can potentially damage a good mix.

To help solve this, I usually use a high pass on the EQ that begins rolling off the bass end of the the guitars from around 180-130 Hz and below (this is around F# below middle C to the C one octave below middle C). While this roll-off will give the guitar a thinner sound when solo'd, when it's part of a mix, it works fine because the bass takes the low end. You might not need to do this to all guitars. Sometimes, having a single guitar keep its low end can be helpful to a mix, sometimes not.

What I always do when mixing, is firstly solo the bass and drums and resolve any low frequency clashes I hear. Next I solo the guitars individually against the bass and eliminate clashes. I then solo pairs of guitars with one another and resolve any issues that arise. Lastly, if I use a piano, I solo it against the bass, resolve issues, and then solo it against each of the other instruments and resolve those issues.

When I get my low end sorted for all the instruments that I'm using, I then mix the tracks to create a backing and selectively add occasional high frequencies to one or two of the instruments to add a little additional clarity and sparkle (as floyd also suggests). I'm also mindful that excessive 'stereo width' on stereo tracks has the potential to rob the track of some of its character.

This might seem like a lot of work. At the end of the day, though, being methodical like this has made my mixing much faster than it used to be. Moreover, seeing that the mix and its presentation are the most important aspects of the final product, I think it's worth the effort.

As Bud has said above, learning to mix effectively is about practising. I know that my mixes from 2 years ago are generally not as good as my mixes today. When I mixed my songs 2 years ago, though, I did the best I could at that time. (I'm now slowly working my way through them and remixing to bring them up to date.) When I listen to the radio, I'm always reminded that I still have a long way to go when it comes to getting my mixes 'right'. Still, I'm enjoying the journey.

Hope these thoughts help.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#

The panning part I am a bit confused by. How is this done? Vocals to one side & Instruments to the other or something like: Bass and drums go together and the rest opposite? Is there a general concept with panning for very basic mix?

Mixing just drives me nuts. Sometimes when I do it, I feel like a witch who is making a very untasty soup. Hopefully it will get better smile

There is a wealth of information on the net regarding mixing...for beginners to advanced.

For panning, to start, just visualize a band playing on a stage. Drums center, bass center (bass is fairly non directional) lead vocals center, harmony slightly to left or right, rhythm instruments further out on left and right, etc. Don't slam anything full left or right and don't pan the lead vocal. Find some reference songs you like, kick back and listen to where it's all happening. And read and watch how to videos...becoming a good mixer is a journey not a destination from my perspective. There are folks on this forum who've forgotten more than I'll ever know!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This might be useful with regards to mixing.

I like Rob Mayzes' work. His videos are easy to understand and to implement.

Graham Cochrane also has some good videos on Youtube.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice song - interesting vocal and melody.
Lots of good mixing tips in the earlier reviews.

Peter

User Showcase
W
Expert
Expert
W
Hi RustySpoon,

I like your song and the latin vibe it has, but as some of the others pointed out, some changes in the mix could make it even better.

I will not repeat all the good advice you already got from the other posters, but just show you a picture of a cheat sheet that can help when we try to understand where the different instruments might crash with each other, etc. It's especially useful when working with EQ.

Will

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
EQ Sheet.jpg (526.37 KB, 3 downloads)
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
First, I really like the song and the style. You did it justice as well.

A lot of great suggestions have been given. I didn't see this covered; and I'm not the one to ask about mixing really, however the distorted guitar that comes in at 1:20 seemed a bit out of place. Not that it didn't belong at all I guess, but it was pretty loud. ESPECIALLY since you were doing such a cool vocal thing there! Loved that!

So, that's about all I could suggest. I really liked the who the song though. Keep working on it. You are WELL on your way there. And by asking, you will get there!

Last edited by HearToLearn; 10/20/18 12:49 PM.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I like the mix personally. I'm using Sennheiser 598 phones and everything sounds good to me

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Good song. I'm with others on the "panning". With latin percussion, I'd expect to hear a wider spread. Besides that, the left channel seems a little bare compared to the right. I'll bet if you look at the master levels, that may become visually apparent. Every new sound also arrived in the right field, and felt a little crowded.

How to: With a stereo-expander in the fx chain for your drums, you can get that effect. You might also audition some complementary real-drums and set one further right (or center) and the other further left.

Last edited by Tangmo; 10/20/18 02:08 PM.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Oh boy, tons of good stuff.
Thank you all for your support!

For me this post initially was sort of a challenge from Floyd Jane. I was suggesting a new thread specifically for half baked tunes, such as this for kind souls to listen and give their honest input, such as I asked for. He was critical of it, but mostly right about proposing posting here and asking people to chip in for an honest opinion.

But here is the fork that I see... I already started pocking at the track, trying to resolve muddiness. Lets say in a week or so I say to myself (again) "Ok, this is better!" What do I do for checks & balances? Meaning, now that I got great feedback, I do not want to abuse ears of the people who are here (in showcase topic) just to listen to new tunes and not trying to re-analyze something they heard before...

And another dilemma... I do have a direct question for J&B, but not sure if it is the right place to ask, because in this thread there are not too many particular technical issues/struggles being discussed.

In any case, I am grateful for your suggestions and honesty. I have started doing my homework. I have heard tunes of most people who replied to this thread in past several month. And for the most part I am jealous (in a good way) and thankful to have this feedback.

P.s. Got to learn how to use damn EQ!

Mike.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
First of, all I really like this! Love the latin groove.

The "band" sounds good except for that distorted guitar, I agree with HTL on that.

Some minor mix issues, no need to repeat what's already been said.

Love your vocal! Very expressive. And I like the lyrics too.

Overall it's a very good song and I enjoyed the listen.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I really enjoyed this tune. Sounded great to me on the headphones. Well done

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Rustyspoon...I found your track very interesting! First reactions:
Your instrumentation was too busy as you started the vocal...I think you should back off some of the rhythm elements, at least in the first verse, to allow the listener to focus on your lyric and its' message...then, as you build the song to the conclusion, you can gradually add elements to reach a "full texture" by the time you get to the end.

What is your native language? I wondered whether your selection of phrases was the result of an attempt to translate into English something that was very poetic in your native tongue..or if you intentionally constructed these phrases, like "degrading locomotion" and "doctor's precaution"...they are interesting, but in a bizarre way, in English--they don't really bring any meaning.

I also really liked the 'wild' vocal add-in's that you did--they really contributed to the "latin jungle' type of feel...I thought of Martin Denny in the 1970's.."jungle lounge music"..very interesting!

i can't comment on the mixing, I struggle in that area, but keep on being creative!!

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Dave, Scott
Thank you!

Dave just this morning, I was listening to:
"In the still of the night" smile

You mentioned about mixing:
"I'll go into detail if anyone is interested." I will take you up on that smile

Mike.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,645
Posts735,413
Members38,526
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking
38,525 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 183
DC Ron 101
dcuny 89
rsdean 71
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.