#57116 01/22/10 11:28 AM
Off-Topic
W
Wyndham Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
W
Is there a way to open a midi file in an editor that will show from beginning to end of the file all the data in readable form like the midi monitor does but not scrolling but as a complete list. Does midi monitor do this and I'm not aware of this feature?
Wyndham

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Wyndham - If you import a midi file into say PT12, and then highlight one midi track, press F2 and you will see all of the midi events and CCs in a list.
If you multi-highlight all tracks and then click F2, it will list all midi events on the various midi channels.
You can also edit midi events this way. Is that the info you're after?

Ian

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
My gene pool needs more chlorine.
Off-Topic
W
Wyndham Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
W
Thank, that's what I was looking for. Wyndham

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
This also works in Realband ..
It is called the event list is a very powerful editor for midi

It is also accessible via the 'E' icon at top.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
W
Wyndham Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
W
One further question, in midi monitor I see the patch for the track but in the event list, I don't. I know that I can set the instrument in the track pull down but i thought that it might show up in the event list. Is there a software that allows opening a midi file with some or all tracks and can show all the parameters and the instrument for each track and be able to edit then save as midi 1 file? It might also show if the midi had a roland TTS-1 synth or VSC or other softsynths or is this outside of the midi definitions. Does midi say patch 28 but that refers to whatever instrument 28 is in that softsynth that is loaded for that track?
I hope this makes sense, Wyndham

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Setting the instrument in the track area is kinda deceiving. I think it is part of the seq file routine that gets saved in the seq format.

To see/save the changes in the midi editor you 'hard write' the program change in the event list itself.
Rewind the song
open event list
enter a 'Program Change' with the patch you want inserted, then it will save in mid format. That is the midi spec way of doing it.

These will over-ride other settings when you hit 'Play' and the message gets sent...

Off-Topic
W
Wyndham Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
W
Thanks Wyndham

Off-Topic
W
Wyndham Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
W
I just did a small experiment with a 2 track midi file. It was interesting for me to see that the hard set instrument set with the program change as a number(21) in one bank of preset gm instruments was a reed organ in the vsc soundfonts but another instrument in another sound font bank but neither was listed a #21, instead they were listed as #20. When I scrolled to the top of the instrument list i found that the first instrument was #00 so 21 down from 00 is #20.
I'm starting to see how the midi hardset program change works. I'm sure the rest here already know this stuff but it's new to me, Thanks for the help Wyndham

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert

Since I use XG midi, my SEQs from PT have hard changes which I have programmed through the event list - however the big draw back to the hard changes IMO is that it takes precedent over the program change in the Tracks window. So if you want to change the voice you need to open the F2 key for the particular track and "hard" change it in the event list OR delete the "hard change" and only use synth voice available through the Prg in the track window.
Of course as rharv said it works this way in RB too - a software I'm just starting to use.

Ian

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
If you are using the Yamaha convention (XG), their numbers are off by one.

Most GM synths use 1-128
Yamaha uses 0-127

Sounds like Wyndham may have inadvertantly set his patch system to the Yammie convention. There should be no #00 in the VSC.. if I am understanding him right..

Off-Topic
W
Wyndham Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
W
I have several soundfonts. VSC dxi as well as synthfont with 2 sound fonts I found on the net that are rom based but work well in synthfont vst.
I'll have to check if I've thrown a switch. When your in the dark any switch seems good at the time, Wyndham

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Hi Wyndham

Are you working with a specific midi file created elsewhere that you have imported into either RB or PT?

That's the impression I'm getting but I'm asking to make sure because there may be a couple of other things added which will effect the way midi plays or is read in these programs.

It's called sysex - RB and PT have a Sysex window. Double or single click on the icon and see if a window opens up that has a several line display of number coding - if it doesn't it's better for you, but it is hidden coding which can reset GM, XG, GS and other synths. So check for it.

Ian

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Ian,

PSR Utility is a neat program for XG files. Don't know if you've heard of it before, but it is a freebie It works great if you have a Yammy keyboard that uses CASM and such for its midi commands.

Trax

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Trax - had not heard of this - I'll do a google and check it out. Thanks
Ian

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
Off-Topic
W
Wyndham Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
W
Ian,I've several midi files that I am using to learn the different functions of midi in BIAB &RB. By opening one of these files and trying out different synth like VCS and Synthfont I'm digging deeper into what and why of the midi construction. Right now I'm using "Popcorn" by Melted Butter. If I remember right it was the first programed synth song that hit the charts.
Synthfont VST allows me to change sound font banks, currently I have 2 that were based on ROM fonts and brought into software sound fonts, they were free so good for testing. I also have Roland TTS-1.
All of the discussion about midi problems with TTS-1 in another thread sparked my interest in why things happen in MIDI and where.
My first thought was to find a program like Notepad that could open view and edit a MIDI file in text then save it back to the MIDI format out side of a sequencer but there doesn't seem to be that type of document editor for midi files.(Cheap,Free) If there is one I'm not aware of it.
So now I'm learning events editors in both Cakewalk and RB/BIAB. Still there seems that there should be a spreadsheet or doc editor that would layout a file and all the influences from program changes to whatever in one comprehensive data grid so we could see what is happening in that file more easily.
BTW anyone have any links to other good, free, public domain soundfont banks I can test in SynthfontVST. Thanks Wyndham

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
We don't know which soundfont banks you are currently using.

"Chaos" enjoyed popularity for a while.. it's about 12 meg if I recall correctly.

http://www.hammersound.com/cgi-bin/sound...ed=cha8m172.zip

Last edited by rharv; 01/23/10 08:39 AM.

Off-Topic
W
Wyndham Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
W
So true, my wife reads my mind so often I think others do as well
I've got 2rock9.sf2 and 8rock11e.sf2 I found from a site I found then lost about a year ago. One of these is very similar to the one you linked to.
thanks for the ink,
BTW I also ran across an assembler/disassembler midi to text and back to midi . Will see if it's worth the time, Wyndham

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Hi Wyndham, take a look at this midi program
GNMIDI
Lots of things in there that may be of help to you.

Best regards
michee

Windows 11 64 bit, Biab 2023 1006, Realband 2023 (1)
i7 Desktop Computer 16Gb Memory

Off-Topic
W
Wyndham Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
W
Thank you, I'll look into it. Wyndham

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,637
Posts735,322
Members38,524
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182