User Showcase
D
Deej56 Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
D
HI, all:

So my New Year’s resolution was to focus on doing some more upbeat, rock type songs . . . my last few solo efforts being a bit more acoustic folk type stuff. Well, like all New Year’s resolutions, it didn’t last long. With guitar in hand looking for something new to play a couple weeks back, I stumbled across John Vaughan’s lyrics to a song he titled “Raging Storm” and the beginning of something soft and slow was born . . . and the final write ended up like this.

I have two specific asks:

1. For now, I’ve changed the title to “Pieces of You,” because I had thought “Raging Storm” set expectations as to the sound of the song far different than what it is. But based on some initial feedback we are leaning towards going back to “Raging Storm”. Would love your collective thoughts on that.

2. I added in the rain sound effect at the start and end of the song. But I’m not sure I like it, so definitely would want thoughts on whether it works. Easy fix to 86 it if not.

Thanks as always for stopping in. Hope this one is worth the listen.

Here’s the song:

Pieces of You [Note: Working Title]

Here are the lyrics:

The years went by
and still we tried
turning over all of the pages . . .
like we could write, something more bright
even though every hope had faded.

A bitter wind blows
across the path we chose;
a weak and wilted rose,
‘neath broken glass and stone,
in the place we lived,
In the bed we slept,
where I sleep alone.

From sweet dreams
to a bed of thorns;
from calm waters
to a raging storm.

Pieces of you . . .
things we used to do . . .
weren’t we such a handsome pair.
There was time or two,
and more times than you knew,
I could have danced with you upon the air.

Now a bitter wind blows
across the path we chose;
A weak and wilted rose,
‘neath broken glass and stone,
in the place we lived,
In the bed we slept,
where I sleep alone.

From sweet dreams
to a bed of thorns;
from calm waters
to a raging storm.

I studied you that last time,
your expression, every laugh line
that I used to think would never fade away.
And stuck between those naked walls,
in that awkward moment I recall,
I knew that I could never make you stay.

From sweet dreams
to a bed of thorns;
from calm waters
to a raging storm.
From calm waters . . .

And here is the band:

Acoustic Guitar: Yours Truly
Bass: Bowed Held 2483
Fiddle: 5 String Folk Long Notes 3143
Synth: ElectroFlute 2364
Strings: Pop Hall 2335
Cello: Background Slow Waltz 2557
Pedal Steel: Modern Ballad Atmosphere 2542
(Note the Cello and Pedal Steel are more cameos—almost not worth listing for how little they appear, but adding just for completeness)

(c)2020 John Vaughan/DJ Lekich

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
The rain at the beginning is too subtle to be useful. I had vol set at about 75% and it sounded like static/noise.
Louder and longer would establish the mood better and this be useful.
At 100% it was obvious but didn't add anything much given the short time frame etc.
The line "Pieces of you" . . .is pretty essey.
BIAB isn't very subtle with the change after "I knew that I could never make you stay."
Lovely voice, lovely albeit melancholy tone - lovely work.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Deej,
I like this melancholic ballad. The cello fits very well with this kind of song. And your voice is always bringing emotion. Christian

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Deej,

Nice job on the instrumentation. And a superb vocal.

A good mix.

I agree with ray regarding the rain. It doesn't do much for the beginning. It sort of works at the end, but it sounds like a "gentle rain" and not a "raging storm".

I'd go with "A Raging Storm" as a title.

fj

User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
What a tune - really enjoyed the atmosphere this one sets. It sets a dreary mood, but given that is the desired effect it worked well. I agree with Chris, it does indeed sound melancholic. I found the vocals added a lot too.

Thanks for sharing smile

Cheers,
Deryk
User Showcase
Jim Offline
Expert
Expert
A sad, soft, tender ballad...
With solid lyrics
And a great vocal...
I enjoyed listening!

I agree the "rain" should either lengthened or cut...
As far as the title is concerned "Raging Storm"
Could easily be used...
However...
It seems to me that "Bed of Thorns" would also be appropriate.

Jim
†=☮&♥
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi DJ,
Delightful song. Much enjoyed.
I like 'From Calm Waters to a Raging Storm'.
Cheers.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Deej, I don't feel the rain sound effect detracts at all and seems to set a mood for the song! You are a very good singer and you delivered a really nice performance here! Your strings and cello here are really a nice enhancement. The title Raging Storm certainly works for me! Good job! Thanks, Torrey

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jim
A sad, soft, tender ballad...
With solid lyrics
And a great vocal...
I enjoyed listening!

I agree the "rain" should either lengthened or cut...
As far as the title is concerned "Raging Storm"
Could easily be used...
However...
It seems to me that "Bed of Thorns" would also be appropriate.

Deej,
I agree with Jim on the title ( and were it my song I`d flip the order of chorus lines to end with "bed of thorns")... just my 2cents.
Other thoughts, because this is a terrific write and the song deserves attention;
-the intro seemed long & rain at the start not noticeable enough to really set the mood.
-in a such a simple arrangement a little variation and build could help: I thought the electro flute could be held back `til "pieces of you".
- the last verse is powerful-going to just guitar/bass there and bringing strings etc back in for the final chorus was an idea I had.
love the song and your clear intimate vocal!

Robert

Last edited by Robertkc; 01/27/20 01:43 PM.
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Your song works beautifully with John Vaughan's lyrics. I really enjoyed your vocals too.
With the very tasteful and subdued backing, I'd be inclined to go for Pieces of You in preference to Raging Storm.
I wouldn't bother with the rain unless you can find a more ominous storm sound.
Nice work.
Cheers,
Mike

Mike Garry
BIAB 2022 (Build 927)/RealBand (5) (64bit), UltraPak, Kontakt, EZmix, Ozone 9 Elements, Hybrid 3, Audacity, Acer Predator, Windows 10, 64bit, 16GB ram, CPU: Intel i7.

https://soundcloud.com/user-952388172
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Since it seems from my listen you've already decided on the "rain sounds" (I certainly don't miss them and think that's maybe an indication they were unnecessary).

On the title. I want to offer a completely alt: suggestion. "Calm Waters Raging". If you don't want that one, Pieces of You gets my vote.

I can well relate to what happens when you actually sit down to write. Always, the song that wants to come out will find a way to muscle past the one you're intent on doing. If it doesn't completely take over, it still makes it's presence felt in whatever you do. I'm glad you let this one happen. It's a fine one, sounds good, and left me satisfied.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Deej,

You made a very nice ballad. I like your voice very much and in this song the emotions are strongly presented.
About the rain, Tangmo said the right thing. I think the observations of Ray are very good on that.
about the title, i rather keep it to how you called it now instead of raging... whatever.
The lyrics speak for themselves. A sad ended relation, no real fights anymore, just memories (maybe that could be a title?).

Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I've gotten to listen to two of your songs today!

Again, another excellent vocal delivery--so beautifully performed.

Production sounds good to me!

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Well written, well performed.
Wonderful production.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Sad song. So engaging! Very well done. The music fits the message quite well. Great job on the vocals. Very expressive, as they should be.

I agree with Ray and Floyd about the rain.

I vote for Raging Storm. smile

Really nice!

Steve

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
That is a fine write and vocal performance.

"I studied you that last time,
your expression, every laugh line"

Great line of many. Poetic but not overly so at all.

I'm a bit late but for us the arrangement and production are spot on.

Nice!

J&B

User Showcase
D
Deej56 Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
D
rayc, Chris, Floyd, Derek, Jim, RichMac, Torrey, Robert, Mike, Tangmo, Hans, Ezekiel, CaptainMoto, and Steve:

Thanks for giving this slow, melancholy tune a spin . . . and glad it seemed worth the listen. Normally I respond to individual suggestions, but there’s a lot of overlap, so I think I”ll go a bit more thematically.

Re the Title of the Song:
Popular vote says go with “Raging Storm”. I confess I still have my misgivings, but regardless it’s better than pieces of you. Jim, “Bed of Thorns” was my third choice, just don’t think that line stands out enough to carry the tile.

Re the Rain Effect: Consider it gone. Totally agree with rayc that it’s too brief to resonate at the start; and I agree it first sounds like static. It may work better in the end, but it’s still a bit too subtle . . . and I think going to big (think massive thunderstorm) wouldn’t work either. I added it on a lark—just not worth keeping.

Re the Arrangement: With most of my latest efforts, I’ve really tried to build as the song moved along. Less so with this effort. So, Robert, yes, I did try to hold back on a few things, but the song was too slow to keep the ear engaged, IMHO at least. So alternatively, I dropped the flute in the first verse, and then added the strings starting with “PIeces of You”. My attempt to keep it layered to some degree. Not sure I succeeded.

Thanks one and all for the kind support and great feedback. It’s so much appreciated.

My best to you all,

Deej

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
"From sweet dreams to a bed of thorns; from calm waters to a raging storm", very nice imagery. Musically nothing like raging so I wouldn't use Raging Storm as the title, I like Robert's idea to flip those line to end the chorus in "bed of thorns". Good band and excellent vocals, I like how the cello sets the mood.

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
The master of break-up songs.

1. I would vote for "Pieces of You", simply because, as you say, "Raging Storm" is not what the song feels like, to me at least. But what do I know :-)

2. I loved the rain sounds, personally - I thought they added to the atmosphere.

Loved it.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Lovely piece of music. Excellent vocal

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,636
Posts735,303
Members38,522
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy
38,522 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 181