Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#62232 02/25/10 10:55 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Some months ago I had a problem with the very low audio input recording level that others have had with BIAB. So I disoposed of my USB mic, bought a mixer and compressor, and I've just got this up and working - but with the same problem.

When I want to record a vocal over a BB2010 track, *I check the record levels, and both record levels are fine for the song*. I even have to drop the slider on my mixer a little to keep it out of the red (I'm avoiding using the limiter). But when I come to play back what I've recorded, all I get is a tiny quiet voice in the background behind the music.

All details are below, but my mixer has a 24-bit audio box supplied with it. I've tried using the standard windows USB Audio Codec, the ASIO4All, and most recently the Behringer model-specific Audio Codec in both ME and ASIO, but without any more success.

Playback of the midi/RealTracks music through the mixer and speakers is fine. If I up the main mix sliders when the mic is open, my voice comes across perfectly over the speakers. Because the record-level meter for the voice input shows as perfect, it has to be something about the record process itself.

- I have a Behringer 1222FX, tied in to an Composer Pro MDX2200 (though I've tried it without), with a Behringer UCA-200 audio box. Because I don't have a set of jack to phono leads, the output from the sound box is fed back in to the input phonos on the mixer.

- I've checked Windows control panel. The sound box is showing in the Device Manager audio listing, for which properties shows both driver and mixer as working properly. Sounds and Audio devices shows the sound recording and playback device correctly selected (Windows default or Behringer depending on which I'm trying). The windows default had no mixer capability, but this is apparently added by the Behringer driver, and the record volume is set at max, not muted, and all the sliders are set to high. 20db boost is added in advanced settings. The hardware test gives a positive result.

- In BB Preferences > Audio Settings, Behringer USB Audio is selected for both audio input and output, and the settings imported from the soundcard fine.

- But when I come to record, and click on the button to set the recording level or tst the recording level meter, I get the error: "There is a problem with your sound hardware. To install mixer drivers, go to Control Panel, Add Hardware, click printer and other hardware, and then click audio hardware." When I do this, it lets me select the Behringer driver again, but says it's installed and working correctly! I've tried rebooting, but it makes no difference.

I'm running Windows XPSP3 and BB2010 Build 295 on a 2793MHz Pentium D dual core processor with 8Gb RAM.

Why does everything on the system tell me it's working correctly, but in both error messages about a missing mixer and in the resulting low volume, BB makes it clear that it's not?

Curious - help appreciated!

Last edited by Digihound; 02/25/10 10:56 AM.

Lyrics rule OK! Fighting for folk and folk-rock...
www.philmaybury.com
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
Hi Digihound,

Hopefully, some of the heavyweights here will kick in with some good advice. I can't quite get my head around how you are trying to set things up, lol.
In the meantime, this might be some good reading.
http://www.free-instrumentals.com/behringeruca200.html

Hope this helps.
Jim

I'd be completely happy if I had just one more guitar.
H
Apprentice
Apprentice
H
You need to look at the levels of your recorded voice track with a separate program and see if they are very low. Audacity is free and I think will do this. Maybe Real Band will do this also, I'm not sure. If the levels are OK, then it's a problem with the level settings on playback.

Expert
Expert
If your vocal is on a track in RB, then the audio edit window in RB has a db scale on the left side.If you use the arrows on the bottom or left of the audio edit window, you can scroll through the track and check the overall level of the vocal.

If you determine it needs a volume boost, highlight the whole track, go to Edit - Audio Effects - Gain Change then boost it the required dbs - this may not solve your initial problem but it will allow you to bring your vocal audio up.

Cheers - Ian

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
My gene pool needs more chlorine.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hi,

Quote:

- But when I come to record, and click on the button to set the recording level or tst the recording level meter, I get the error: "There is a problem with your sound hardware. To install mixer drivers, go to Control Panel, Add Hardware, click printer and other hardware, and then click audio hardware." When I do this, it lets me select the Behringer driver again, but says it's installed and working correctly! I've tried rebooting, but it makes no difference.

There is most likely not a problem audio device. Band-in-a-Box is just trying to launch the Windows Record Control Mixer (same as if you double-click the speaker icon in your task bar and go to Options-Recording), and your sound card apparently doesn't use that. Instead, you can probably set this in your sound card's software.

Quote:

When I want to record a vocal over a BB2010 track, *I check the record levels, and both record levels are fine for the song*

Where are you checking this? Are you looking at the Band-in-a-Box VU meters?

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
B
B
I am having the same problem with my audio recording level in BB2010. The VU meter indicates as much and more vocal volume being recorded relative to the instrument tracks, but on playback I can barely hear the voice.

You said, "go to Edit - Audio Effects - Gain Change", but I can't find those commands anywhere and there is no mention of gain in the index. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit ------------------

Never mind, I found the correct command sequence:

Audio -> Edit Audio -> Adjust level of region of Wave file (permanent)

Then enter the number of dB to increase the vocal track level.

Last edited by BobbyD; 03/07/10 08:33 PM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,797
Posts737,387
Members38,584
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
JelleY, Akzz, trumpet man, Harlow Davis, limelitevibe
38,583 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 170