Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
15/12/21 UPDATE
More vocal, more bvox, more bass, fewer FX...still a sappy lead though.
15/12/21 MIX

Grievous Bodily Harm
My good friend Eric visited today..he tracked a 12 acoustic in the middle of the verses and a Gibson LP through a Marshall to add some heft n rhythm to the choruses.
I did try to get him to do a lead but as much as he enjoy LP -> BIG MUFF -> Marshall he declined.
I've lifted the vocal 1.5dB, pulled the tambourine back a little and tweaked the lead to fill in for the excised vocal at the beginning of the verses.
V2
hello folks,
this is a new, rockier, one that's almost done.
BIAB drums and Gospel vocals in this one so far.

110 bpm only two chords in the verse and three in the chorus.

The lead is a one string wonder, (Squire Mustang into Big Fluff into Marshall), place holder as I've an old friend visiting tomorrow.

I think the chorus vocals might pass muster but the verses are pretty ratty - I tried for aggressive and it didn't work.
There were LOTS of words in the lyric but I've progressively parred them to what exists now...the "narrative" seems to hold together despite the lack of syllables.

the harvest starts again
wide eyed in the rain
The same strange fruit
The same sick seed
the harvest march again
wild eyed in the rain

standing on the world's edge
standing on the window ledge
pushed passed the truth
burying their youth
ignore the real crime
one last time
That's what I see
That's what I know
Just to
begin with.

Losing sleep my baby?
You're wide awake in bed
And there are no 2nd prizes,
no 2nd prizes
Same strange fruit
Same sick seed
Same anonymous source
the Qpons that you need

standing on the knife's edge
standing on the window ledge
pushed past as truth
arm their youth
we pardoned the real crime
Profit takes every time
That's when I see
That's when I know
Just to
go on with.

solo

the harvest starts again
wide eyed in the rain
The same strange fruit
The same sick seed
the harvest march again
wild eyed in the rain

standing on the ocean's edge
standing on the tidal ledge
pushed alternate truth
burying our youth
we bought all the big lies
as earth dies
That's all I see
That's all I know
Just to
end with.

Losing sleep my baby?
You're wide awake in bed
And there are no 2nd prizes,
no 2nd prizes
Same strange fruit
Same sick seed
Same anonymous source
the Qpons that you need

Any and all suggestions will be attempted.

Last edited by rayc; 12/14/21 04:54 PM.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
You couldn't muster an aggressive vocal for a song titled Grievous Bodily Harm? I disagree. There can be a lot of suggested aggression in a whisper. The verse vocal sounds perfect, although a bit too far back in the mix for my tastes. I'm on my 2nd listen now, and forgot what you said about the 2 and 3 chord arrangement, Ha, no other chords were needed for sure. I really like the bg voices toward the end --and, man that ending is perfect.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
ray,

VERY cool overall band sound. A single entity unto itself.

LOVE the drum sound! (what RD is that?).

Guitars sound good. Nice bass line - I thought it could be slightly louder/punchier.

I could not understand the lyrics.
Listened again while reading the lyrics. Then, it is easy to hear them - they are well enunciated. SO...not being able to understand them at first might not mean anything for the style...perhaps perfectly suitable.
And I like the vocal!!

The shaker (or tambourine?) is a little loud (very little) once your ear detects it (I did not hear it at first).

That's all I've got for now.

Cool stuff.

fj

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I like the band track and guitar this is built upon.

I'm with the other comments about the lyrics being lost though.

moto

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
HI Ray ...

Yeah ... pretty cool piece of music! The band rocks. And I'm with the folks who think the vocal needs come a little more forward in the mix. Nevertheless, it's a terrific song!

Take care ...

Alan

BIAB 2024 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win11*16GB DDR5*Rhyzen 9745x*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120* Acoustic/Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
You couldn't muster an aggressive vocal for a song titled Grievous Bodily Harm? I disagree. There can be a lot of suggested aggression in a whisper. The verse vocal sounds perfect, although a bit too far back in the mix for my tastes. I'm on my 2nd listen now, and forgot what you said about the 2 and 3 chord arrangement, Ha, no other chords were needed for sure. I really like the bg voices toward the end --and, man that ending is perfect.

Thanks Marty,
I "wanted" to come across like Iggy on Fun House aggressive. I like the whisper idea though.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Sounds good. The band keeps a strong beat, especially that drummer. Cool lyrics. It sounds like it's coming along to me.

My music can be heard at: The Cracks
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
ray,
VERY cool overall band sound. A single entity unto itself.
LOVE the drum sound! (what RD is that?).
Guitars sound good. Nice bass line - I thought it could be slightly louder/punchier.
I could not understand the lyrics.
Listened again while reading the lyrics. Then, it is easy to hear them - they are well enunciated. SO...not being able to understand them at first might not mean anything for the style...perhaps perfectly suitable.
And I like the vocal!!
The shaker (or tambourine?) is a little loud (very little) once your ear detects it (I did not hear it at first).
That's all I've got for now.
Cool stuff.
fj

Thanks FJ,
The drums are RealDrums90s^01 a Closed hat etc.
I duplicated that drum track, added the TINNIEST amount of delay, (all wet on the double - no dry...ADT works almost as well), to it and set a HEAVY low pass at around 300Hz...that gives a very solid bottom end with a hint of dual drummers.
The tambourine is a weird one - yes inaudible until heard and then TOO much...weird. I'll spend time on that, thanks.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Ray,
(V2) This coming together pretty strong! A lot of cool and unique musical textures. Seems you worked very hard on this tune. I know you take some elements with tight precision. This is my "average listener" opinion.
I think tambourine still a bit loud. I would like to hear vocals and bass more upfront.
Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I don't really know the style, but I agree the vocals seem a bit back in the mix.

Punchy drums.

As you said, the tambourine goes between too little and a touch too much. Then again, I could be measuring that against the vocals, which seem easy to drown out.

Interesting sound.

Loooooong ending! laugh

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Ray

I'll go with floyd's comments - perhaps a touch louder on the vocal.

Some nice spaces for a guitar solo or 2.

Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Ray ...

I listened to this last night but ran out of time to leave a comment. It's a most interest collection of tracks and production. The tambourine didn't bother me all that much. Perhaps it's because at almost 75, my ears don't tune in as precisely on the upper EQs as they once did. But, I enjoyed the entire piece. Yep, vocals could be a bit more forward in the mix. Like me, you often talk down about your vocals. But, I think they sound fine on this one.

A very pleasant bit of interesting music.

Take care ...

Alan

BIAB 2024 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win11*16GB DDR5*Rhyzen 9745x*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120* Acoustic/Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Ray,

I've found out that it always makes sende to listen to your songs on different days before commenting, because there's always a lot to be heard.

First of all: The drums are ace. I've always liked a fat sounding kit. (One German rock singer once anounced his drummer by 'This is our blacksmith driving home the nails today') Gee, that was great. There are drummers that play 'fat', yet very nuancedly - the late Mitch Mitchel was one of them.

And I liked them to be mixed that much forward, along with the basss.

When I read your lyrics I always come to the conclusion that my English is pretty limited - it's definitely not getting them prima vista. Sometimes at all cool

As to the volume of the vocals: You generally seem to be a bit shy with your singing, man. No need to - it fits your songs very well, and that's all she wrote.

Like I said: There's a lot to prick up one's ears. And several times I thought: That must be influenced by... ah ... by ... ah... Couldn't figure it out, but that's no wonder as you seem to have a very wide knowledge of all kinds of music. Once something in the vocals made me think of Ozzy Osborne, but that may not have been your intention. (Although he definitely deserves his place in pop history, I think)

A very (!) interesting listen, no: Sveral very interesting listens.

Really well done,take care,

Stefan

User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
I like the band track and guitar this is built upon.
I'm with the other comments about the lyrics being lost though.
moto

Hope fully the 15/12 mix addresses that...thanks.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Sounds good. The band keeps a strong beat, especially that drummer. Cool lyrics. It sounds like it's coming along to me.

Thanks jptx3,
The lyrics are constantly being whittles down...I hope I manage to leave some in the final version.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Ray,
(V2) This coming together pretty strong! A lot of cool and unique musical textures. Seems you worked very hard on this tune. I know you take some elements with tight precision. This is my "average listener" opinion.
I think tambourine still a bit loud. I would like to hear vocals and bass more upfront.
Thank you for sharing.
Misha.

Thanks Misha,
More bass, NO tambourine and more vox.
I THINK I couldn't tell about the tambourine because it lives in my tinnitus zone.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dcuny
I don't really know the style, but I agree the vocals seem a bit back in the mix.
Punchy drums.
As you said, the tambourine goes between too little and a touch too much. Then again, I could be measuring that against the vocals, which seem easy to drown out.
Interesting sound.
Loooooong ending! laugh

"Style, we don't need no stinking style...!"
Thanks dcunny,
It's probably closest to something on Kill City by Iggy Pop & James Williamson...if anything at all.
Kill City title track

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Ray
I'll go with floyd's comments - perhaps a touch louder on the vocal.
Some nice spaces for a guitar solo or 2.
Peter

Thanks Peter,
duly noted and applied.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Ray ...
I listened to this last night but ran out of time to leave a comment. It's a most interest collection of tracks and production. The tambourine didn't bother me all that much. Perhaps it's because at almost 75, my ears don't tune in as precisely on the upper EQs as they once did. But, I enjoyed the entire piece. Yep, vocals could be a bit more forward in the mix. Like me, you often talk down about your vocals. But, I think they sound fine on this one.
A very pleasant bit of interesting music.
Take care ...
Alan

Thanks Alan,
The tambourine sits in my tinnitus & dead hearing zone too.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Hi Ray,
First of all: The drums are ace. I've always liked a fat sounding kit. (One German rock singer once anounced his drummer by 'This is our blacksmith driving home the nails today') Gee, that was great. There are drummers that play 'fat', yet very nuancedly - the late Mitch Mitchel was one of them.
And I liked them to be mixed that much forward, along with the basss.
When I read your lyrics I always come to the conclusion that my English is pretty limited - it's definitely not getting them prima vista. Sometimes at all cool
As to the volume of the vocals: You generally seem to be a bit shy with your singing, man. No need to - it fits your songs very well, and that's all she wrote.
Like I said: There's a lot to prick up one's ears. And several times I thought: That must be influenced by... ah ... by ... ah... Couldn't figure it out, but that's no wonder as you seem to have a very wide knowledge of all kinds of music. Once something in the vocals made me think of Ozzy Osborne, but that may not have been your intention. (Although he definitely deserves his place in pop history, I think)
A very (!) interesting listen, no: Sveral very interesting listens.
Really well done,take care,
Stefan

Thanks Stefan,
Lyrically it's a vague rant about the post Trump world and the damage done to it during those four years of unbridled greed, violence, environmental vandalism and illegality.
Thanks for your kind words and perspective - always a joy to read.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
D
Expert
Expert
D
Rayc,

The music base sounds great to me—nothing to add. I tend to agree with those that would like that vocal to come out in front a bit more. It’s a solid vocal and clear—just a bit buried for my tastes. But that’s a stylistic thing—really depends on the sound you are going for. Impressive work on this.

All my best,

Deej

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Ray,

This track sounds really good to me! The vocals seem louder in the mix than past songs of yours that I've listened to and I like it! I also thought the guitars sounded great! Super job! Thanks. Torrey

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Sounds really cool!! I agree that vocal is very difficult to understand, although I love the fx on the vocal! Very well done!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Deej56
Rayc,
The music base sounds great to me—nothing to add. I tend to agree with those that would like that vocal to come out in front a bit more. It’s a solid vocal and clear—just a bit buried for my tastes. But that’s a stylistic thing—really depends on the sound you are going for. Impressive work on this.
All my best,
Deej

Thanks Deej,
I've found someone else to sing this so buried vocals oughtn't be a problem in the next incarnation.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Ray,
This track sounds really good to me! The vocals seem louder in the mix than past songs of yours that I've listened to and I like it! I also thought the guitars sounded great! Super job! Thanks. Torrey

Thanks Torrey,
i hope you're doing well in your very busy life...we need more TB music.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Sounds really cool!! I agree that vocal is very difficult to understand, although I love the fx on the vocal! Very well done!! Take care. Greg

That's the funny bit Greg,
there're no FX on my voice other than compression.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This sounds great now, the vox are up to a decent level and the song has lots of energy. Loved it! Way to go!

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
"Style, we don't need no stinking style...!"

Amen bro - roll your own.

Excellent Ray ... all it needs is a good guitar solo smile smile

J&B

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,739
Posts736,743
Members38,561
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Nethan Paul, LesNewzealand, CCCreator, Juha, davyowdoo
38,560 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 197
DC Ron 111
rsdean 109
dcuny 93
Noel96 92
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.