Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Beginners Forum
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi all. I am beginning to read the full online manual. This should be a cool adventure! I have also tried as best I can to search first.

So I am in the MIDI/Audio setup section and I realize there are some terms and concepts I don't quite understand yet.

I see that the MIDI output is set for VirtualMIDIsynth #1 rather than MS GS Wavetable synth.

Is this a MIDI driver that was installed with BIAB? Is it better than The MS driver which I am intuiting comes with the MS OS? Does the MIDI driver actually make the sounds or is it just a piece of software that lets musical items communicate?

Then there seems to be a section called VST/Dxi synth and it appears that I have Coyote WT installed. Is this something that came with BIAB or did I already, unknown to me, have this on my computer? How is this different from a driver? If it is a software synthesizer, is this being used to create the sounds coming out of BIAB? Are there other alternative pieces of software with different qualities that could be used instead?

I will stop here. My searching was still over my head because I am just now learning what all the basics are. I so appreciate your orienting me. This is such an amazingly interesting journey and so far building practice tracks for my self has been absolutely fantastic.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
midi setup.jpg (73.77 KB, 145 downloads)
Last edited by BackingTrack; 12/19/21 11:15 AM.

BIAB 2022 UltraPak, WIN10, Scarlett 2i2, Guitar Rig 6, Fishman LoudBox Artist, Martin D35, Taylor 812c, Cordoba 55FCE, Fender Strat, Epiphone LP, Ibanez GB10se
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Hi. This may take awhile but it's good you are asking and learning.

The Microsoft sounds come with any Windows computer. They are terrible.

The Coyote WT is a way to play these sounds on a 64-bit computer.

The VirtualMIDISynth #1 is something I have never seen. If you have a laptop, it may be the manufacturer's soundcard.

Since you have VSTi/DXi checkbox checked, your sound is the Coyote WT. VSTi and DXi are two technologies of software MIDI synths; the lower case i stands for instrument.

Almost anything you could do would be better.

The first thing I recommend is to read this page on the PG Music site: https://www.pgmusic.com/dare-to-compare.htm

It's OLD. It is not current. But it IS a good start to understanding.

Basically, you can use a software or a hardware (external) MIDI synth to play your MIDI. You can spend anything ranging from zero up to thousands. Note my signature, the Roland Integra-7. This is one manufacturer's top of the line, about $1,700 at the time I bought it eight years ago.

Note that this discussion is ONLY about your MIDI sounds. The RealTracks and RealDrums are audio (not MIDI) and they will play through whatever sound circuits your computer uses for any audio, such as YouTube videos with sound. That's another story, and usually not as much of a concern.

Still with me?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Beginners Forum
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Fabulous start! I am on a powerful desktop with WIN 10. Thanks for those comments. So if I understand correctly then, the way I have this set up, the sounds are produced by a synthesizer called Coyote WT.

The checked box under use VSTi/DXi Synth is directing the program to not use the generic drivers, but rather use an actual software synth program called Coyote WT (I suspect I have this available from when I used to use JJazzlab MIDI backing track creator, but it is a guess)

How should I proceed to investigate better synth options to use with BIAB? Are these freely available or do I search for and pay for a better synth to have the best sounds? Do you have recommendations?

I am learning fast thanks to you all.

BIAB 2022 UltraPak, WIN10, Scarlett 2i2, Guitar Rig 6, Fishman LoudBox Artist, Martin D35, Taylor 812c, Cordoba 55FCE, Fender Strat, Epiphone LP, Ibanez GB10se
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
The Coyote WT came free with BIAB.

Start by visiting that web page Dare to Compare. Then your questions will quickly be more focused. Have fun.

For example, if I listen to the guitar on the Slow Bossa demo for the Coyote WT, it sounds like a toy, but the Coyote Forte makes it sound much more like a guitar.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
For example, if I listen to the guitar on the Slow Bossa demo for the Coyote WT, it sounds like a toy, but the Coyote Forte makes it sound much more like a guitar

On this topic, Coyote Forte was my go-to GM synth with BIAB for years. But Coyote Forte is 32bit only and never went to 64bit. So when BIAB went 64bit I needed a replacement. I found the free version of VSTSynthfont64 as a BIAB compatible player and then I found Coyote forte as a soundfont file. I put the two together and that has worked nicely for the past several years. Just my two cents.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Beginners Forum
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Matt, really helpful! I will check out that website right away.

You mention Coyote Forte sounding great, but MusicStudent in his comment below suggests that is 32 bit only, but I suspect BIAB still will play a 32 bit program.

I found that resource on the PG website and YES indeed the sound of the Forte is far superior!

Are there other commercially available software synths that are the height of quality? Can you suggest one?

Thanks Music Student. The topic of the two components you mentioned is above my paygrade LOL at this point but I am learning.

(Further Edit) Well here is a question that occurs to me. Does all this talk about MIDI Synths only pertain to playing a MIDI track in BIAB and if I am only using RealTracks, then this does not pertain because BIAB does not fuss with MIDI for these but plays non-MIDI audio tracks. Do I have this right?

Last edited by BackingTrack; 12/19/21 12:58 PM.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
(Further Edit) Well here is a question that occurs to me. Is all this talk about MIDI Synths only pertain to playing a MIDI track in BIAB and if I am only using RealTracks, then this does not pertain because BIAB does not fuss with MIDI for these but plays non-MIDI audio tracks. Do I have this right?

Yes. If you care to, you can leave Midi to us Midiodits and enjoy those RTs. grin

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
Strange preferences button on the lower right:

Audio Settings… [WAS Always]

Looks like somebody assigned too long a string to a variable, I bet if you look at the code there's more after "Always".

But it really is kind of hypnotic the way it is.

Beginners Forum
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks MusicStudent. It's all getting more clear!

So what are some of the highest quality paid software synth plugins that would compete with Coyote Forte for use with MIDI tracks?

It looks like from further searching that Coyote Electronics is out of business.

I see from my further reading on the net that most paid for software synths have all types of capability for sound manipulation. What I am interested in is simply the best collection of authentic sounds of instruments to make MIDI tracks sound their best and won't be interested in tweaking at all. Is it still a "software synth" I am looking for or some other type of plug in to give me the best sounds period with out all the adjustability? Perhaps a better term for what I am looking for is "virtual instrument audio plugin"

Last edited by BackingTrack; 12/19/21 01:43 PM.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
The 32bit Coyote Forte will not run in BIAB64. If a BIAB32 is still available (I have not checked in a year or two?) you can use that, but remember Coyote Forte is not free.

You have two options to begin with in regards to using a midi synth in BIAB, 1)Software and 2) Hardware.
Details are more than I have time to go into here, but it is a process to study because with Midi comes great power and with great power comes great responsibilty (to become a mididiot). crazy

Keep asking questions and reading. There is no rush. Have fun with the RTs and after a while you will begin to see what Midi has to offer.

Beginners Forum
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
OK thanks. PG chat could not help me either with a simple replacement for Coyote WT. Clearly this topic seems to be way more complex than I ever fathomed! I just thought that maybe since Coyote WT seemed to provide a sound for all the MIDI tracks in BIAB, that there must be another alternative to it with higher quality sound fidelity that could just replace the Coyote WT plugin. It appears that is probably not the case, so I will just forget about it and stick to RealTracks.

I thought it would be good for me to read the 2022 user manual but just the first section sent me down this route. Clearly I am not knowledgeable enough to understand the fine points of the internal settings, which if fine.

BTW this is not complaining at all; it is just that I am beginning to recognize on what level I want to delve into BIAB right now. And that is really helpful to know!

You guys have been amazing. Thanks you.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BackingTrack
OK thanks. PG chat could not help me either with a simple replacement for Coyote WT. Clearly this topic seems to be way more complex than I ever fathomed! I just thought that maybe since Coyote WT seemed to provide a sound for all the MIDI tracks in BIAB, that there must be another alternative to it with higher quality sound fidelity that could just replace the Coyote WT plugin. It appears that is probably not the case, so I will just forget about it and stick to RealTracks.

Here in the forum there are roughly 4 different options being used to get the optimum midi sound in BIAB. For each one, someone will tell that one is the best. So I am going to make a video on how to install and use my favorite, the free version of VSTSynthfont64. And as a bonus, how to install and use Coyote forte as a soundfont file within VSTSynthfont64. Stay tuned, I will get it out over the holiday.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Capture.JPG (148.2 KB, 95 downloads)

Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: BackingTrack
I just thought that maybe since Coyote WT seemed to provide a sound for all the MIDI tracks in BIAB, that there must be another alternative to it with higher quality sound fidelity that could just replace the Coyote WT plugin. It appears that is probably not the case, so I will just forget about it and stick to RealTracks.

Oh, please don't do that!

I don't render MIDI in BIAB (I export it to Logic and render it there) so I can't offer specific assistance, but you really don't want to restrict yourself to RealTracks, given the near-infinite flexibility of MIDI and the availability of high quality sounds.

Consider a BIAB MIDI track of just slow piano chords. Add a MIDI arpeggiator and you have a completely different part. There's no way to do that with RealTracks.

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 12/19/21 02:45 PM.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes

I don't render MIDI in BIAB (I export it to Logic and render it there)

That is another one of the four options. And it is indeed a good one. Replace Logic with Reaper and it pretty much describes my workflow. But it is a bit deeper water to swim in. grin

Beginners Forum
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Well I will watch this ongoing discussion with great interest! (but sticking with RTs for now as I watch and learn) smile

And WOW a video will be awesome.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Although I would not do it this way if I were starting over again, I use a hardware MIDI synth. Those, you can set up and forget.

Some of your questions encourage me to suggest you go back to my early responses and reread them. This is a complex and never-ending quest to get great sound.

Beginners Forum
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley

Some of your questions encourage me to suggest you go back to my early responses and reread them. This is a complex and never-ending quest to get great sound.

Thanks for this advice Matt. I have just done that and yes, it's making more sense now. I appreciate your "coaching".

The place where I am stopped now is what software alternative to use for Coyote WT (if any). I will really look forward to MusicStudent's video to help me learn more about what to and how to substitute. For me, I will prefer a software option.

Last edited by BackingTrack; 12/19/21 04:25 PM.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
That’s a good idea. To get the best suggestions, perhaps create a new thread and ask how to get the best software-based MIDI sounds from BIAB and be sure to give an idea of your budget. That will garner much more attention than this thread.

We have this discussion every so often. I’ve even started some. But I don’t think we’ve done that in a couple of years.

Beginners Forum
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Gonna do it!! You are very helpful. Fun stuff.

Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
Read Peter Gannon's sticky post at the top of the forum index 'heres' a no brainer...............'

the TTS1 is a roland soft synth and its free with cakewalk and there's a link in Dr Gannon's thread. and the great thing about a DXi synth is that BIAB will find it automatically. next time you go to the midi driver page the TTS1 will be a choice in the drop down menu. you don't even need to ever open the main cakewalk program.

the TTS1 is a GM synth (general midi) which means it can play all the midi instruments in the GM1 and GM2 spec. at the top right hand of the midi driver page you'll find a patch map for the TTS1 as a drop down option. that simply tells BIAB where to look for the instrument sounds when you use the TTS1

i prefer TTS1 sounds to coyote sounds but you can try both

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,642
Posts735,387
Members38,525
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking
38,525 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 183
DC Ron 101
dcuny 89
rsdean 70
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.