#71190 04/26/10 06:45 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Hello all,

I'm loving BIAB 2009 on my new Windows 7 Asus laptop- awesome songwriting tool!

I want to connect a keyboard, mostly just to enter melodies and some accompaniment lines. Want to avoid spending many $.

I have this old Yamaha PSR-220 on indefinate loan- I'm not sure if it's worth trying to make work. I read on the internet people struggling connecting this same unit with a Midi to USB connector- I'd hate to buy an UNO connector then have it be a hassle. I realise that I could get an external USB box (m-audio or something) But I'm hoping I don't need more clutter- I have a Samson CO1U USB mic that works fine for vocals plugged directly into the laptop. I hope a keyboard can work the same way.

Should I forget about this old Yamaha and get a new USB midi controller? If so, which one?
I don't think I need sounds generated by the keyboard... for songwriting? I also use Ableton live suite 8.

I do require that a keyboard be precise, so that I can play the notes in accurately and without latency, including percussion.

Thanks for your help!
Bandmoose.

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

...I do require that a keyboard be precise, so that I can play the notes in accurately and without latency, including percussion.

Thanks for your help!
Bandmoose.

I can't comment on the keyboard itself, if it's midi capable then it should work ok, the problem is with this last statement. Simply plugging the PSR into your laptop you will hear so much latency it will be unusable probably around a half second or so. Windows uses what's called WDM but for some reason PG still uses the old name MME. MME hasn't been used for about 8 years now but it is WDM. This is your audio driver. MME works perfectly for Biab playback but terrible for live playing like what you're asking about because of the latency. You have to use ASIO for that. There's a free download that a lot of us use called ASIO4All you can Google it easily enough. Depending on what you're using as a softsynth ASIO4ALL can get that latency down to around 10ms or so which is good for live playing. The other way to get ASIO is to buy a good interface, all of them now come with their own version of ASIO. The bad news here is Biab can be tempermental when setting up ASIO but it does work, just a bit confusing at first. Another choice is to use the sounds in the PSR because it's hardware, no latency at all if the sounds are good enough for you so no need to mess around with ASIO. That means you're not using the audio output from your laptop, you use your headphones or audio cables directly from the PSR.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B

Another choice is to use the sounds in the PSR because it's hardware, no latency at all if the sounds are good enough for you so no need to mess around with ASIO. Bob

Thanks for your help. I'm not that fussy about sounds, I'm not trying to create quality demos, just songwrite, get down my melodies in BIAB. I also want to be able to enter lyrics to and create sheet music, if possible.

So if I used the keyboard's sounds, then it will record as audio instead of midi, correct? And then am I not more limited in how I can manipulate that file, if it's audio instead of midi? Like, I might be able to give a midi file to a studio producer, but could I equally well give them an audio file?

That means you're not using the audio output from your laptop, you use your headphones or audio cables directly from the PSR.
Bob

I don't understand this. What I need to do is record melodies over BIAB arrangements. If the PSR Yamaha was recording/played directly into the laptop, wouldn't I be able to hear everything together through the laptop sound card?

Excuse my newb igno, thanks for help.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
The MIDI out of the keyboard will record MIDI data.

The Audio Out of the keyboard to Line In of soundcard is used to record Audio.

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
Band,
The manual for the PSR-220 is here:

http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/emi/english/port/PSR230E.pdf

I see no reason why this keyboard should give you any issues whatsoever with MIDI. As to the M-Audio Uno, I have one, I used to use it on a regular basis, it's very easy to use, I would recommend it.

Next, what Bob said about ASIO and latency has no bearing on this whatsoever. The latency that he talks about, and the driver models, are only used if you are going to use a software synth, which I didn't see you ask anything about. I will assume that you will move the finished product to Ableton LIve after you're done in Band In A Box. I would suggest using the tones within the PSR-220 itself, at least for the time you are in Band In A Box Then, you can use whatever in Ableton once you get to that point. Since all you are sending is MIDI, there will be no latency. You'll record the MIDI note in BIAB as soon as you hear it playing on the keyboard.

You WILL need to set up the proper MIDI settings within the keyboard for multi-timbral playing, however. That shouldn't be too hard with the manual.

Make sure the MIDI IN and MIDI OUT of the USB interface that you're using are plugged correctly into the keyboard.

If you can afford it, something like this, for less than $200 at Musicians' Friend, will give you built in USB MIDI connectivity, negating the need for an external MIDI Interface, and will also give you better sound than the PSR-220 you have now, and most any available software synth in the same, or less, price range.

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/Cont...amp;CTID=205100

You can, at the top right of the page, click on the Audio tab and listen to 9 demo songs. That *is* what the keyboard sounds like, and for $200 or so, is a very impressive sound set.

Remember, BIAB is going to give you up to five tracks of MIDI files when you export, or can give you multiple audio files for export, if you are using Real Drums and Real Tracks.

All of that can be input into Ableton, and using the internal sounds there. However, I think that the PSR-220's internal sounds should be used for at least the MIDI portion when using BIAB, so that you have a better idea of how something is going to sound with no latency.

Gary

Regards,

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
Veteran
Veteran
I had no luck with 2 Yamaha keyboards. But maybe I'm just a moron. They output some strange stuff. Others may have good experiences. I have no issue with my Roland Keyboard, I play thru, and direct to the soundsystem, depending on the song.

As far as entering anything, it's WAY easier to do that by hand using the notation screens than I ever had it work on it's own. And percussion, um not in Band in a Box, unless you want to record to the soloist and disable the drums section. The RealDrums and midi drums, depending on your sound sources are better than you can do on your own, with the CAVEAT, that if you are trying to replicate Phil Collins doing the drumming, you have the wrong software in band in a box, it is meant as a backup band that flexes, and doesn't bend, but covers, well you can get the feel, the genre, and the idea, but to replicate something, it's easier to program midi from the get go and forget Band in a box.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Next, what Bob said about ASIO and latency has no bearing on this whatsoever.

Actually it does Gary, because later in his post he said this:

Quote:

I don't think I need sounds generated by the keyboard...

That's why my explanation about latency.

For $200 that new Yammy looks like a great deal.

Just to clarify a bit Bandmoose midi and audio are two separate functions. Recording the output of your keyboard is audio, sending midi into Biab is recorded as midi which is then used to trigger a synth. If you only have midi coming out of your laptop to the keyboard then yes, you would hear the keyboard's sounds but nothing is getting recorded in Biab as midi. You also have to have the keyboard sending midi as well into your laptop. If you were to listen to the audio out of the laptop by having headphones plugged into the laptop's headphone jack as you were playing live you would hear bad latency unless you used ASIO as I described. But, if you plug those same headphones into the headphone jack on the keyboard, no latency but the midi is still being recorded.
Hope this helps a bit.
Oh, since you are new at this don't forget about setting the midi channel being transmitted from the keyboard to match Biab's thru channel. It's either 4 or 5, I always forget which and have to look it up.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
As to playing thru, you have to set the keyboard and band in a box to the same midi channel. Mine would be at 5 but I use 5 for my voicelive box, so my keyboard and my software are set to channel 9.

It's a learning curve for that but not too bad. If you get caught ask, the settings are there at the top.....

John Conley
Musica est vita
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Yamaha KBs are traditionally picky about the USB cable you will have far better luck if you buy a Yamaha USB cable to attach the unit to the computer.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Veteran
Veteran
Bob,
In context. I agree that ASIO is important, and that latency is a real issue. However, he was also going to move everything to Ableton Live, which once he imported the BIAB work as a MIDI file would have negated any need to worry about latency, which is why I said that.

I also prefixed my statement about your comment with the suggestion that he did use the sounds from the keyboard, which would have negated the use of soft synths and the latency issue.

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Quote:

As far as entering anything, it's WAY easier to do that by hand using the notation screens than I ever had it work on it's own. And percussion, um not in Band in a Box...

Thanks John, do you mean... if I'm trying to enter in a melody line, that it's easier enter the notes one at a time with the mouse and computer keyboard? If so, that's perhaps how I should proceed, since my piano skills are minimal... if a synth is not the best way to enter melodies then I'd rather not go throught the hassle.

Is it possible to get good at entering melodies on piano roll? (I find that more intuitive than traditional notation)

But... isn't it better to play them in on an external synth?

Thanks for all your help! If I do need to set up the Yamaha, or get a new one, I've got some great alternatives!

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Do you know that you can use the QWERTY keyboard to record MELODY track?

The Wizard makes the notes sound harmonic with the chords as you tap, leaving you to just concentrate on the RHYTHM of the part you want. Then you go into the Notation View and drag he notes to the proper pitches. I think that can also be done in the PianoRoll view as well. Once this method is learned, it is fast and I use it when out on the road and have only the laptop to contend with.

From BiaB Tech FAQs, #32:

Quote:

32.Can I enter a melody into Band-in-a-Box using the computer keyboard?

Here is a method that you can use to record a melody into Band-in-a-Box using the computer keyboard:

Go to the Play menu and make sure 'Wizard Playalong Feature' is enabled.

Start recording.

Choose any key on your computer keyboard (N for example) and strike it in time with the notes of your melody. The idea here is not to get the note pitches right, just the durations.

When you have finished, keep the take. Next, put the Notation Window into editable notation mode. From here, you can step forward or backward note by note using the keypad "Ins" and "Del" keys. While doing so, you can use the up-down arrow keys to change the pitch each note. This method works great for non-keyboardists, and is also useful for adjusting existing melodies.

--Mac

B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Awesome Mac, thanks! I'm trying this which I think is going to work super-well, but I have unworkable latency on my computer keyboard. I looked through the FAQ's and all the latency setting adjustments seem to be for an external synth keyboard... is it the same process for setting the computer keyboard latency?

Thanks!

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Awesome Mac, thanks! I'm trying this which I think is going to work super-well, but I have unworkable latency on my computer keyboard. I looked through the FAQ's and all the latency setting adjustments seem to be for an external synth keyboard... is it the same process for setting the computer keyboard latency?

Thanks!

Bandmoose, reread my first post above. That's exactly what I said "unworkable latency" then I explained about how you have to use ASIO to get the latency down to where you can play it live. Note the difference between live playing and simple playback. Also note the difference between using an external keyboard synth for sound and using an internal software synth for sound and the difference between using MME and ASIO. Your QWERTY PC keyboard is just another controller driving a internal software synth and as such it's subject to the same latency problem. The definition of these terms is critical to you understanding how this works. Go to Mac's Audiominds website and click on the tab at the upper left "getting started". A lot of good basic info there.

Bob

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,635
Posts735,276
Members38,522
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy
38,522 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 181