Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
User Showcase
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I have been ill for the past 3+ months. Not Covid, but some virus which just tore through me. I still have some good days and some bad, but I have not returned to the day job. Hopeing for beginning of next year.

Now that you feel sorry for me... please don't go easy on me. I need your most critical review of this "un-named piece". This was my home time project through the illness. On one hand maybe just a collection of my favorite VIs. But on the other hand more of me in this music than I typically get.

All midi via Kontakt VIs and a couple tracks of BIAB to give some structure. I am thinking I am done only cause I need to take what I have learned and move on to the next piece. But I am not sure I have learned all I need from this piece at this time. Your help and instruction is greatly appreciated.

https://soundcloud.com/dan-hoch-784636941/name-tbd-mix-1-002?si=1f639bdf1879467eb2e27bb70afc06ed&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Hi, Dan.

Glad you're doing better!

The song is well done, but feels incomplete. It's like listening to a backing track for a song, without the vocal line.

If it was intended to accompany a video, it would be prefect.

But unless you intended to add a vocal track, I'd call it finished and move on.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Dan,
Ok... I liked were you were going with this. It feels like you need another lead vocal(s) on it. I agree and disagree with David above on backing to a "song". Absolutely it doesn't have to be a lyrical composition, and it's not calling for one.

Have you heard of a composer Karl Jenkins? On several albums he used vocalists that sang melodies / phrases in made up language.
Here is one of the most known:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GCsQZSB1gZg

So... Yours right away ranged some Jenkins bells in my head, but without the lead.

I think for such complex composition, your "fade in" at 2:15 was a bit too abrupt. Either a complete release and then tension, or a hit / break...something else might work better.

But I will state again. I like where you are going with it smile Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

User Showcase
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I knew I came to the right place, thank you guys.

Regarding the vocals - great point. My ENT guy says my vocal chords have been damaged by the virus, which is the reason that everyone tells me they don't recognize my voice. I have tried to sing, but the constant cough prohibits it, for now.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I THINK that the lack of "focus" may well be that the lead vocal melody - the female part, moves from centre to left as it goes along in ways that don't seem to reflect anything specific.
When it sits centre after the reintro isn't still a little left of centre in my headphones and seems just a little weak...I'd be inclined to sweep that vocal wav looking for some presence and give that a boost.
Finally, there are lots of strong things in the back ground that need some oomph...perhaps a good compressor on those parts to give them some punch.
Nice work, def. worth putting a little more effort into.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
For those who may be interested:

1. BIAB-VSTi - _Soften.sty, Piano, Guitar, Cello RTs – Key Cm - Cm, Gm, Fm, Ab, Tempo 100bpm
2. Scaler 2 – Cm chord progression to match CM loops (Piano, Bass, Ostinato Strings)
3. Kontakt 6 - SplashSound – Epic Percussion 2, #6 War Ensemble
4. Kontakt 6 – Audio Imperia Chous
5. Pianotek 7 – Intro Piano, midi Cm loop
6. Kontakt 6 – NI Appassionato
7. Kontakt 6 – Ostinato-Strings – Cm midi loop
8. Kontakt 6 – Ethera Gold, Atlantic (1 and 2)
9. Kontakt 6 – Guitar NI Sessions Guitarist, Electric Sumburst deluxe
10. EZBass - same chords as BIAB
11. EZDrums3

User Showcase
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rayc
I THINK that the lack of "focus" may well be that the lead vocal melody - the female part, moves from centre to left as it goes along in ways that don't seem to reflect anything specific.

Good ears, I should be able to do something about that as well as you other suggestions. I too feel there is a collection of good stuff here, my problem is putting it all together to tell a story? cry

Thanks for the input.

User Showcase
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
By the way, this piece sounds 10x better on my DAW with Headphones. What has SoundCloud done to this??

User Showcase
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Hello Mr. Music Student,

I am sorry you have been ill. Not fun. I will pray for you.

I don't have any technical advice or ways to help, just to new.

But I did listen to your pretty song piece. I like it just the way it is.

When I closed my eyes to absorb your song piece, I saw people dancing in nice flowly outfits free and happy. If you wanted a name that fit the style/ flow, mabye a good title would be
Free to Dance or Freedom Dance.

With all the work you put into it, you should be really proud, it sounds nice. Merry Christmas, cheryl anne

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
By the way, this piece sounds 10x better on my DAW with Headphones. What has SoundCloud done to this??

Soundcloud is, like most streamers, happiest with around -14 LUFS at the best quality you can upload - it will apply its proprietary SMASH, mangle and spit out processing. In general terms it's a little better than other streamers but not fabulous. It's often easier to get a better quality return on spending the 10 minutes needed making a quick slide show video and uploading that to Utub or Vimeo etc.
A few forums I've been on have had an MP3 hosting server and while a 320 MP3 isn't fabulous it's often better than streamer screamers. An option you may also consider is uploading the .wav to a downloader like WeTransfer if you want critical listening though many won't be comfortable downloading from an unknown and other not prepared to wait.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I thought it was fine as is, there are several users here who focus on soundscapes and this seems to fit into that category quite well. When that percussion was going strong, it had a Riverdance quality to it. I played it several times and enjoyed it, so you must have done a lot of things right putting this together.

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I did some research Re Souncloud requirements:
"We recommend you to upload in a lossless format like WAV, FLAC, AIFF, or ALAC. If you can, the bit depth and sample rate should be 16 bit and 48 kHz respectively.
When you upload a track on SoundCloud, we optimize it for streaming. As part of that process, we resample and transcode it to a high-performance codec. These codecs are highly optimized, but they can increase peak levels, which can cause clipping. We recommend that you leave between -0.5 and -1 dBFS of headroom to prevent artifacts like clipping during transcoding. Make sure to check the resulting stream in the rare case where more headroom is required."
and
Platform Peak Loudness Dynamic Range

Youtube -1.0 dBTP -13 to -15 LUFS >9DR

Soundcloud -1.0 dBTP  -8 to -13 LUFS  >9DR

Reaper and other DAWs have a LUFS meter in the rendering display at the very least.

M.E. suggest getting as close to the LUFS level as possible as the codec used to RAISE level does more damage than that used to reduce a little.

Last edited by rayc; 12/19/22 12:07 AM.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Dan, first off, hope you're feeling better, I'm sure you have your Dr. on speed dial should you need him.

As for the song, I like it a lot, it could easily be part of a film. The only small nit I have (and it's a personal preference thing) is that it ended too abruptly for my taste. But I like the different themes that you wove into it.

Great job man and very creative.

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I enjoyed the listen.
A nice "soundscape". Epic Movie soundtrack.
Kept my interest throughout.
Mix sounds good.

That about covers it.

fj

User Showcase
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rayc
I did some research Re Souncloud requirements:
"We recommend you to upload in a lossless format like WAV, FLAC, AIFF, or ALAC. If you can, the bit depth and sample rate should be 16 bit and 48 kHz respectively.
When you upload a track on SoundCloud, we optimize it for streaming. As part of that process, we resample and transcode it to a high-performance codec. These codecs are highly optimized, but they can increase peak levels, which can cause clipping. We recommend that you leave between -0.5 and -1 dBFS of headroom to prevent artifacts like clipping during transcoding. Make sure to check the resulting stream in the rare case where more headroom is required."
and
Platform Peak Loudness Dynamic Range

Youtube -1.0 dBTP -13 to -15 LUFS >9DR

Soundcloud -1.0 dBTP  -8 to -13 LUFS  >9DR

Reaper and other DAWs have a LUFS meter in the rendering display at the very least.

M.E. suggest getting as close to the LUFS level as possible as the codec used to RAISE level does more damage than that used to reduce a little.

I appreciate you going down the rabbit hole with me on this one. The poor sound quality from SC is really surprizing me.

Followed this as much as possible. Re-rendered to .wav, LUFS -13, 16 bit and 48 kHz. Mixed in Neutron 4, Mastered in Ozone 9 Elements. Sound quality at the DAW - as good as it gets, but once placed on SoundCloud - crap (distortion, wabble, highs are gone). This song just seems to bring the worst out of SoundCloud. I will make a YT video .. still hearing some "artifacts" but I think this is better sound quality. But the artifacts tell me something is wrong. I don't hear them from my DAW, only the recording.

Last edited by MusicStudent; 12/20/22 10:53 AM.

User Showcase
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I just listened on a Different computer and I don't hear the artifacts I am hearing on this machine. The upload audio from this machine to the web has problems - well apparently only with playback on this machine. Is that even possible?? Will have to do some googling.

In the mean time I do appreciate the comments.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Since others have already given good technical advice, I'll focus on the song itself.

First of all: I like it. A lot!
As for the vocals, I'm somewhere between you and dcuny. I don't think it feels 'incomplete' without real vocals. But if someone sang after about 1:40, it would really add something to the song.

I read that you can't sing yet, but I would prefer a female singer anyway. I've heard we have some good female singers here smile

Making bits and bytes sound good...

Goldmania Bella - A One-Man Girlband with no fans
Listen on Spotify
Watch on YouTube
User Showcase
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
OK, I found the problem with the "artifacts". This 1 month old new computer of mine (Win11) permits different Audio Drivers for different applications. So my DAW played via the MOTU while windows player used the on-board audio device. I turned all that off and set everything to my MOTU Audio Express and that fixed the issues. Who would have known?

Back to the point.

I am going to move on to my next inspiration. The comments here were very helpful in this decision. The current piece is incomplete in my mind, but not something I can fix at this time. I want my music to tell a story with or without lyrics. And I am not hearing that or seeing it with this soundscape. I learned a lot with this piece which will help going forward.

I reserve the right to reuse some of the audio bits and pieces from this unnamed song, in the future, but if I do, they will be packaged better.

Thanks again to everyone.

Marry Christmas,

Dan

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, Dan, I like it as is, too. Still, I'd like to hear it with you singing too once you are completely cured. It's a very interesting composition, and your arrangement is good. Of course, all of the advice above is what I live by.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Initially scrapped to the cutting room floor because this scoundscape did not tell or show a story. No story so no title. Add to that, No lyrics since my constant cough did not allow me to sing...

So I had an epiphany*. I have now added the greatest story ever told. Music by MusicStudent, Words by God! I give you, "The Gift"

Merry Christmas.

*Def: epiphany: a usually sudden manifestation or perception of the essential nature or meaning of something.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,751
Posts736,986
Members38,563
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
taylor davis, spec96, Nethan Paul, LesNewzealand, CCCreator
38,562 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185