Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#757125 03/08/23 02:47 PM
Off-Topic
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I just bought this. Now, I don't want you to tell me I'm crazy, I already know that. What I want/need is someone to ask, how have I gone so long without it. Anyone? crazy

https://snapstudio.com/

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Screenshot 2023-03-08 175601.jpg (107.71 KB, 286 downloads)

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I can answer your question but I will give you a word of warning. The last time I saw someone enter a box like that a magic wand was waved and they disappeared! So check for magic wands prior to entering!

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I don't sing, but it looks way cheaper than $400/hr at your local studio so long as you don't have 6'9" Britney Griner in there with you.

She might poke thru the roof smile smile

Does it come with microwave oven and color TV?

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
Off-Topic
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Steve, when I pull the curtins and you hear what is coming out you're going to think Rod Stewart is in there... Our current project will be the test of this addition to my spare bedroom, opps, I mean my Studio.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
NYC studio apartment.

Funny stuff aside, I am a big fan of these kind of pop filters that I will link. They were limited to only a couple of makers, now they are spreading faster than flu:

https://www.amazon.com/Microphone-Sound-absorbing-Isolation-Canceling-Windscreen/dp/B0BHQ4RCRB

These actually eliminate a lot of room noise...for me.

Off-Topic
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
PVC pipe and moving blankets for less than 1/4 the cost

Byron Dickens

BIAB. CbB. Mixbus 32C 8 HP Envy. Intel core i7. 16GB RAM W10. Focusrite Scarlett 18i 20. Various instruments played with varying degrees of proficiency.

https://soundcloud.com/athanorsoundlabs
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
I just bought this. Now, I don't want you to tell me I'm crazy, I already know that.

You're crazy grin Whoops, you asked me not to tell you that crazy

Actually, it might be neat. Yes, there may be cheaper methods and other methods, but this one allows you to get going straight away. Keep us posted smile

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Happy
Veteran
Looks good Dan, and probably will make you feel even more pro when you use it.

Enjoy.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
All kidding aside, does it work to help keep external noises from getting in?

BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Bass Thumper
All kidding aside, does it work to help keep external noises from getting in?

external noises, yes... but the vocal booth's super power is its ability to eliminate room echo by absorbing everything that gets past the mic.

If you watch much youtube you may have already noticed that a lot of content providers make their videos inside their car. The average car is designed to be a good acoustic space. There are very few reflective surfaces and lots of padding

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Does it smell like a new car in there?

(I’m thinking of Frank Zappa in “Baby Snakes” saying the best part of a squeezebox is the way the air coming out of the holes smells.)

Off-Topic
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I live on the lake in a 100 year old cottage house which we gutted and built onto 4 years ago. So outside or external noise is not a problem. There are a lot of reviews avialable on Snap vocal booth and they confirm it is not designed to be an isolation chamber, so it may minimize but will not eliminate external noise.

My studio in the house is my grand daughters old bedroom. (I bought the house originally from my son). There is no acostic treatment of the room. just a typical 12 x 12 carpeted drywall construction with two large windows. I never had the interest in trying to attach foam on the walls and corners. The room is crammed with computers and music gear! But I can make room for the 33 x 33 inch footprint of the booth. The booth promises "- efficiently absorbing reverb, leaving vocals dry and clear". And it claims to be portable for easy dissassembly and storage.

I thought about making the booth. As mentioned, PVC and moving rugs as best I can tell. At $500 this is not a "no-brainer" purchase for me. Drew up the design and was heading for Home Deport when when my daughter told me Prime would deliver the unit "Tomorrow". That was the deal breaker for me.

OK, why do I feel I need this? I figure I have thousands of dollars invested in making my music. And every purchase was based on the assumption that my music would sound better. Time is chasing me. I can't put things off for much longer. On top of that, my voice is not getting sweeter with age.

And why now, at this moment I am starting a new recording project (collaboration with Steve). Vocals are waiting on the booth.

I thought someone here would have experience with this type of setup versus an open mic in a home studio.

Dan

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
It's a neat, tidy, fairly comfortably portable, quite possibly more effective, quite possibly cheaper alternative and to my old trick of hanging curtains across the room. It closes fully, which curtains can't easily do. The fabric has probably also been designed for the job. It packs away quite nicely, too. Buying one does not appear to me to be the slightest bit crazy!

Edit: Ah yes ... after reading some later posts, an English:American translation:
curtains == drapes

Last edited by Gordon Scott; 03/10/23 01:18 AM.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Interesting unit. Janice facing a quilted table runner hanging down file cabinet in a combo office, "studio" and workout room has worked for us for 30 years. Guess we've gotten used to the room ambiance good or bad smile

Bud

Off-Topic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
Time is chasing me. I can't put things off for much longer. On top of that, my voice is not getting sweeter with age.

Oh brother do I feel that exact same thing . . .

Let us know how the booth works out!

~Russell~

Don't ever try and be like anybody else and don't be afraid to take risks. -Waylon Jennings

PC-Win 10 Pro-Intel i9 9900 3.6 GHz-32 gig ram-SSD (X3)-AMD RX 550
AUDIO INTERFACE-Presonus FP10/Firepods
SOFTWARE-Cakewalk by Bandlab / BiaB 2023 UltraPAK
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The relative value of this depends on how much you actually record that isn't line level. I have seen stories here and on youtube of people building home studios and when you see the studio at work, they record 95% of what they do in line level, so there are no room acoustics involved at all other than on the vocal track. I had a guy come here and start telling me everything wrong with my room and I asked him straight out "When I plug a keyboard into my interface and record parts, how does the room come into play? Other than that the computer generates everything. It's all line level direct to disk recording." At the time I had 2 sets of bifold doors faced with absorbent foam, and when I sang I would take those 2 sets of doors, open them both 90 degrees, and make a cube out of them. It was horrible. If I bumped them they would fall over, etc... There are 2 spots I had to repair the wall where one fell and poked through the drywall. LOL!

But bottom line here is that it all comes down to you. If you wanted this and had the money to spend on it, you do you bro! In my case, for me, this would have been spending a mortgage payment and gas bill for something I would use 3-4 times a year. But again, I am not you and you are not me. I do very little with music anymore.

I use this. Foam squares I bought on Facebook Marketplace for $20 and this little collapsible isolation attachment I got for $25. It works well for me like your booth will work for you.

The "time passing by" thing makes me too depressed to talk about. LOL

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
20230309_104113.jpg (1.22 MB, 17 downloads)
20230309_104059.jpg (744.24 KB, 14 downloads)
Last edited by eddie1261; 03/09/23 05:57 AM.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Ya, this is for vocal work only. Just me and my microphone and my computers...

Quote:
But again, I am not you and you are not me. I do very little with music anymore.

Otherwise, Eddie, I am just guessing here, but I think you are 3 - 5 years my senior. I have friends in that age range. They were working musicians but are no longer. Hense, the reason I have to push while there is still time for me.

Off-Topic
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Well, it ain't small! Many would have found it easy to install. But I ain't like many. The frame itself was a piece of cake, literally minutes, but hangin those heavy drapers was a bear for me. The velcrow was not error free. On two occasions I needed a blade to snip away some stitches which held the straps together. I suspect it will be easier now that I did it once.

My Rode condenser mic fit in nicely and luckly I have long cables for mic and headphones. Hope to be using it shortly.

Kudos to PRIME, less than 24 hours from the time I order to delivery.

Dan

Screenshot 2023-03-09 185449.jpg (214.5 KB, 140 downloads)
Screenshot 2023-03-09 185401.jpg (199.99 KB, 138 downloads)

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
What is the texture of the drapes? Is the finish on them hard like a moving blanket?

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
They are soft and absorbant. But very very dense and heavy. More than a typical moving blanket.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
And it looks big enough for my fat azz to fit in it. Also to double as a changing closet or a porta-potty.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Boy, I hope you don't get scared of the dark grin

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I don't need anything like that... My studio dead-room-treatment is "clutter", much clutter.

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Win-11; BiaB-2024-latest Beta;
Cakewalk; Melodyne-5; Scaler 2; NI Komplete:
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

Off-Topic
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: AudioTrack
Boy, I hope you don't get scared of the dark grin

A battery (usb charged) 3 level light is hanging on the inside. Also a IPAD holder is mounted on the inside.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You going to do an A/B demo for us so we can hear the absorption?

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
You going to do an A/B demo for us so we can hear the absorption?

+1

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I'm back...

I have just completed my first full session in the Booth. I will be posting the result shortly.
My first initial attempts were catastrophic fails. The booth is 3 – 4 steps from the control panel monitor. So setting the levels from the mic was actually a two man job and I was all along. When it came time to record, I punched the record then I had to quick step over into the booth (with headphones on squeezing between the curtain doors and waiting as I listened for my que. The song had a 4-5 bar piano intro before my verse starts, which I missed the first couple times. I was used to sitting/standing in front of the video monitor so I always had a visual que for when I was to come in. Without that visual que it was a challenge.

Then there was the dark. I don’t think I had ever sung in the dark before. Difficult to read the lyrics. Then the light went out and left me in pitch black while the recording continued (several times since I needed to charge the battery). By this time, it was starting to get hot in the booth. Literally a comedy of errors!

That was day 1. Nothing of any value recorded.

Truth be told it took 2 – 3 days before I settled down on the new workflow. Luckily my producer (Steve) was patient and didn’t put any pressure on me.

Over this time period, I set up a Rode condenser mic in the booth and a SM57 outside the booth by the computer monitor. I was able to do an A/B comparison over the first days. The two mics are generally very similar in my hands but I have always consider the Rode to be a bit warmer. I found this same conclusion when the Rode went in the booth. So I did not notice any significant difference in the recording between in and out of the booth - at first.
The song I was covering was a Rock tune. So when I got to the louder passages (including a rebel yell) that is when I noticed the value of the booth. The yell in the booth was much clearer and cleaner where outside I could hear the echoes from the room.

Fact is I don’t often sing “loud”, so I am not sure how much improvement I will hear in the long term or how much value the $500 booth was. I need to do a couple more songs to be more comfortable with it overall. When you hear the final result listen for the “yell” and tell me if it was worth the money?

I should have our cover Collaboration up by tomorrow morning. That is, if it passes my “final listen before posting test”. I will come back here and add a link.

Dan

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You can insert 16 empty measures before the click countdown to ease the need to rush into the booth. Or 24, 32... And edit them out later.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Off-Topic
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
So it has been almost a year and I bet you are thinking the Vocal Booth was converted to an ice shatee for fishing here on the lake. Not So. Here are a couple pics proving its value. I added lighting and monitor and a nano controller. Plus a small cooler for beers on the floor. grin
[Linked Image - Only viewable when logged in]

Last edited by DrDan; 01/01/24 11:50 AM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Not too shantee . . . . oooopps I meant shabby smile

Can we look forward to more great recordings in 2024?

BiaB 2024 Windows
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Looks good, Dan. And if the power goes out, your family won't freeze grin

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Somewhat relavent.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/shorts/6iWUHL7Ue7o[/video]

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I wouldn't suggest turning a couch on end, a broken window or broken shoulder could result when it tips over.

Your approach is much better, plus it can always double as an outdoor punitive porta-potty for any unruly house guest that can't behave himself.
Just add a 5 gal pail laugh

BiaB 2024 Windows
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,662
Posts735,544
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173