Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
If it's JUCE it should have a VST version, did you ask them about that ?
I see it has an audio stream vst but I suppose that would be much the same as ReaStream free vst.
You should be able to drop Yamaha style sections in a Biab track and snap them to chord or key with the reajs.dll vst.
That is a drawback with Biab, it's a pain in the *^(^ to drop n drag midi in.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Honestly, I believe approach should be taken at BIAB level for building own MIDI styles from various segments that will follow chord changes...

I don't have illusions, most likely BIAB will never have support for other arranger full MIDI styles, but I do believe in-house Midi style mixer/module should happen, as there just wealth of material waiting to be discovered.

Unless of course somebody comes up with super stable VST arranger that can take Yamaha based styles. As of now, the seat is vacant.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
RapidComposer VST you can open Yamaha Styles save them to the library.
Drag the chord track from Biab into RapidComposer Midi Import to give the same chords. I think they were planing on implementing it to just work with Yamaha styles.
You can drag midi style tracks from Biab into RapidComposer and save them to the library then they will refit to any progression.
You can Drag midi phrases from the internet and save to library.
You can drag midi loops from EZKey, EZDrummer and EZBass and save to library.
This will work with all midi not just Yamaha style midi.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Musocity,
Yes, the general idea is what you are describing. There is also a company called Cognitone. In my view, they are significantly ahead of Rapid composer, and also have a way to working with Yamaha type styles.

However, for most people, the processes using 3rd party programs discussed in this thread would be a steep learning curve and only few would use it.

What I initially proposed is "in-house" module. BIAB had style functions (phrases following chords) way before EZkeys or Rapid composer were born. I believe with amazing synths available these days, MIDI phrase/style module should be given serious thought. Essentially EZkeys is a Midi phrase/loop module.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
The long and winding road
That leads to this door
Will never disappear
I've been down that road before
It always leads me here
Lead me to this door

I just updated RC and they seemed to have added more features since I last used it like saving phrases with controllers so might be worth looking at again especially now with great prices.
Quote:
All our software 40% off until April 20!

RapidComposer v4 (music prototyping): $199 $119
RapidComposer v4 LE (music prototyping): $79 $47
Melodya (motive generator and editor plug-in): $49 $29
MIDI Mutator (MIDI file processor plug-in): $49 $29
Syne (modular additive synth plug-in): $89 $53

RapidComposer full edition orders receive free Melodya and MIDI Mutator licenses (by request).

RapidComposer
Full Edition
$ 199 119

Light Edition Features +
3 Melody Generators, Idea Tool, MIDI Mutator, Melody Editor, Percussion Generator, articulations, phrase morphing

RapidComposer
Light Edition
$ 70 47

Core functionality, VSTi and soundfont support, standalone/VST/VST3/AU versions for Windows and macOS (Apple Silicon and Intel),
all updates until v4.99, thousands of reusable phrases, product support

Quote:
Feel free to post feature requests about RapidComposer in this thread, or start a new thread.
We will implement every sensible request, as it happened in the past.

Thank you,
Attila

Synfire 2 Express

The Music Prototyping Studio standard for innovative home producers, artists and bands. Ideal for dance tracks and all genres with a song structure and lots of different instruments.

449 €
Estimated1 USD $411
Synfire 2 Pro
Synfire 2 Pro

The ultimate Music Prototyping Studio for dynamic arrangements with incredible editing capabilities. Ideal for orchestral works, game soundtracks, film music, sophisticated electronics, Jazz, Pop, HipHop and all styles that involve melodies, atmosphere and structure.

779 €
Estimated1 USD $714

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Musocity,
I am an average user, and I found RC pretty complicated and Cognitone too for that matter (I have Sparks, which is a cheaper / light version, still I find it pretty involved). While both are very capable, I am afraid these type of software titles are not for mainstream.
---

The module I proposed is in a way a MIDI phrase/pattern player, that would follow chords. It could be made "universal" to accept any MIDI line similar to EZkeys. A part of a 3rd party style for example. BIAB Code/Engine is there already, just has to have a proper GUI / Browser.

It seems, Peter Gannon was not inspired by the idea. It is his company and I completely respect his right to not get involved.
As an alternative, I have another wishlist item that might be much easier to implement and would have universal usage similar to the Chord Track that we got in 2023. I am talking about chaining VST's. From one VST MIDI Out to MIDI In of another VST. I probably should start another thread on this to explain the benefits and a few workflow scenarios.

Last edited by Rustyspoon#; 04/08/23 01:40 PM.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
"I am an average user, and I found RC pretty complicated but Biab was the easiest thing to learn smile "

"I am talking about chaining VST's. From one VST MIDI Out to MIDI In of another VST. I probably should start another thread on this to explain the benefits and a few workflow scenarios. "

I have been asking for that and been posting examples for years frown

I'm glad to see you catching up on these things I have been posting and asking for smile

I just came here now to create a RC video doing it all so hang in there.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
BIAB is is probably not easier compared to RC. It took me years to get comfortable.

When I started out 5 years back, my main issue was that BIAB was missing certain "parts" for the songs like lines for intros, variation for rolls, breaks, endings that are commonly found in arranger keyboards and backing track units. With RTs, even with Partial Regen (which was a blessing), sometimes it is hard to get things the way you imagined. So one has to go MIDI route... And it seemed that using existing BIAB midi content would be the easiest place to start. That is the core of the request. To give users more ways to use existing content.

Musocity, even if this thread was not met with enthusiasm, can I ask you
to post RC video post separately? Because if someone new comes...one day.. it would be hard for them to figure out what this thread was about.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Apprentice
Apprentice
I wonder how many users in the forum actually spent time watching the two YouTube videos posted by Rustyspoon in this thread.

For those of you who didn't watch, just so you know, Rustyspoon wasn't lying about the importance of the yellow MIDI stems.

There are four types of media in Biab.

Real - Green
Audio - Orange
Super - Blue
Legacy - Yellow

In BiaB 2022, there was a new feature released called "All Tracks are Equal". This feature makes Utility Tracks equally functional as the Style Tracks.

If all tracks can be equal, why can't all MIDIs be equal too?

I think for PG, the easist way is to make the "Select Custom MIDI" dialogue box non-modal. Non-modal means the dialogue box is floating, so user can still click other parts of the interface without having to close this dialogue box first.

If PG wants to go above and beyond, they can make a new dialogue box called "Select Legacy MIDI". Exactly the same as Super MIDI picker, but only list yellow MIDI stems to be selected from.

Hope to see this request come true in BiaB 2025.

A Canadian music producer, singer songwriter, composer, and professional guitarist.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Apprentice
Apprentice
Charlie Fogle posted a smart idea in this thread.

Let me try to figure out what he was talking about in his post.

Quote:
It works using the Copy/Move command in the Track Actions Menu that's accessed directly from the StylePicker.

1. Open a regular Style Picker, filter to show legacy MIDI styles only.

2. Audition the styles with the feature "Playing using current chord sheet for song".

3. Pick a MIDI Style. Go to bottom left of the Style Picker window, click the two dot button.

4. Click Track Actions, Copy/Move Tracks. This will copy a MIDI stem track to an empty Utility track in the current SGU.

5. Click Cancel to exit the Style Picker, without loading any Style.

6. In this way, no Style is loaded to the SGU, and existing Style tracks are not overwritten. The yellow stem track is being copied to a desired Utility track.

7. Same method can be done again, to copy another stem MIDI to the same Utility track, in order to overwrite and replace the existing loaded MIDI, with a new one.

Anyone any thoughts on this Charlie Fogle's idea?

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Charlie Fogle's Idea.jpg (404.24 KB, 56 downloads)

A Canadian music producer, singer songwriter, composer, and professional guitarist.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Apprentice
Apprentice
OK. After reading the long conversation between Rustyspoon and Musocity, let me try to understand what they were talking about in this thread.

Musocity is a fan of RapidComposer, while Rustyspoon is a fan of vArranger.

Both software are doing the same thing, allowing a user to enter chord progression, then generate a melody or a solo in the MIDI format.

They work very much like Soloist and Melodist in BiaB, except for that everything is based on MIDI.

Both software use the same source MIDI material. A user can download thousands of source MIDI files from Yamaha's website, for free.

I haven't had a chance to dig deeper into these auto composing software, but am I right?

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
"All tracks are equal" is still a work in progress.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
"All tracks are equal" refers to mixer tracks and their functions. This relates very remotely to original request.
Request is for content tracks.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,662
Posts735,549
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173