Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Chicago
@Billy That is just the textbook definition of the word. If the "song" doesn't have lyrics, the piece of music is classified as something else.

Good morning all...

From my perspective:
A 'song' has lyrics to be sung by singers.
That's self evident to me.

If there's no lyrics it's a composition or instrumental.
That differentiation is plain and simple to me.

I like to write songs which is 99% of my efforts.
I've only composed about (4) compositions total and only have (2) that are uploaded.
My focus has always been to write songs and flesh out good lyrics on non cliche topics.
Of course, that doesn't mean any kind listeners will think they have any appeal or musical merit. smile

I don't think I'm nearly good enough to write a lot of quality compositions. smile
So....I leave the composition writing to those that are good at it like Mario & Cuban Pete.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 04/17/23 10:33 AM.
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
To add a little more mud to this conversation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instrumental

Thus through evolution the word song now includes instrumentals.

PS - I wonder what they will call it when an AI produces it wink

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Songwriting
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
my prompt to google bard https://bard.google.com/

can i send you a link to my song and you use it as a basis for lyrics you write

Sure, I can help you with that. Send me the link to your song and I will do my best to write lyrics that fit the music.

Please note that I am still under development, so my lyrics may not be perfect. But I will try my best to create lyrics that you are happy with.

bing www.bing.com

I'm sorry, but I can't write lyrics for you based on your song. That would be plagiarism and a violation of your creative rights. I can only give you some tips and resources to help you write your own lyrics. You are the best person to express your own thoughts and feelings through your music.

both bing & bard offered to provide feedback on yor song if you provide a link

Last edited by pghboemike; 04/16/23 05:42 PM.

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
Songwriting
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
you could use a prompt like

what are some prompt ideas or examples that would help you help me write lyrics to a song with Intro, verse, verse, Bridge, Chorus, Verse, Instrumental Break, verse, ending using a minor chord progression which is sad and dark at 90 bpm

and then after the gpt responded

provide two examples of lyrics that use the guidance you provided

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Planobilly

You may or may not agree with the following statement.

"A song is a composition made up of lyrics and music, with the intent of the lyrics being sung, for the purpose of producing a proportionate feeling or emotion in relation to a particular matter."

Besides being silly, it’s just plain wrong.

Referring to Merriam-Webster:

Quote:
: the act or art of singing
: poetical composition
a
: a short musical composition of words and music
b
: a collection of such compositions
: a distinctive or characteristic sound or series of sounds (as of a bird, insect, or whale)
a
: a melody for a lyric poem or ballad
b
: a poem easily set to music
a
: a habitual or characteristic manner
b
: a violent, abusive, or noisy reaction
put up quite a song
: a small amount
sold for a song

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
Is it possible that a person is able to ONLY write music and not lyrics?

I have been stuck on a song for longer than I can admit to. I have the music essentially done, Guitar, Piano, drums, bass and the song structure completed, Intro, verse, verse, Bridge, Chorus, Verse, Instrumental Break, verse, ending. I even created a melody (with help). But dispite all the work, no lyrics. I don't consider this to be a writers block since best I can recall I have only written lyrics once in my life. But at this time I feel the need to get this done.

I want to do it myself so I am not looking for a colaboration (well, at least at this time). Any words of wisdom on how I actually make this happen!

Or is this just a stupid question. crazy

Dan

Dan, there are no stupid questions (albeit there may be a few stupid answers crazy )

Two examples:

Elton John essentially always used others lyrics (i.e. Bernie Taupin) to then compose and create brilliant songs.

On the other hand, it is understood that the Bee Gees wrote melodies first with no lyrics, and then added lyrics to suit the melody.

Both approaches delivered outstanding outcomes.

Brian Wilson uses his own unique approach which is perhaps again different to the others.

Don't get hung up on the 'right-way'. Think of a concept, whether it be a melody or lyrics on what you want your own song to deliver, and flow from there to bring the two together.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Songwriting
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks for the encouragement.

The song is done. But may not get beyond my back up hard drives. Problem is my throat has been damaged by the virus last fall. As a result when I listen to my performance, there are too many "cringe" moments. My vocal range is significantly limited. Leave it to me to write a song I can't sing. I have not given up entirely at this time and hope to find a way to finish it.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
I can empathize regarding restricted vocal range. Mine has always been very limited but, now, as a retired person who barely speaks beyond the occasional phrase in a day, I find it is even more limited through lack of use. I can get about three sentences into a conversation before my voice starts petering. Three words into a sung phrase and I cough n splutter.
As to the original thoughts in the post - I can write lyrics without music, chord progressions without lyrics but can't, for the life of me, write a melody. Mind you my lyrics & chord progressions are nothing to write home about.

Last edited by rayc; 04/19/23 04:38 PM.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: rayc
I can empathize regarding restricted vocal range.

G'day mate....

Ha....I hear you on that topic.
If I were asked what my vocal range is I'd say....."....about 3 semitones. smile

Back to it....

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Dan

Sorry to hear about the health issues. I know what it feels like for me after throat surgery. My condition continues to deteriorate. It is becoming harder to talk, must less to sing.

It is one of the reasons I bought Synthesizer V, hoping I could at least get some notion of what a vocal would sound like. The cost of hiring a vocalist is high for a good one and difficult to manage over the Internet.

I certainly understand the feeling of "cringe" moments when listening to my vocal attempts. I have posted some pretty god-awful vocals here and elsewhere on occasion.

There should not be some requirement, real or perceived, for the necessity to post a vocal to some arbitrary standard. Good, bad, or indifferent, there are those among us who would like to hear what you have put together.

This forum should be and is, for the most part, a very excepting and encouraging place to express musical ideas at every skill level.

Best of luck with your songwriting.

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 04/20/23 04:56 AM.

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: chulaivet1966
If I were asked what my vocal range is I'd say....."....about 3 semitones. smile

LOL!!! I think I can hit 2 and a half!

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Songwriting
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
You guys are wonderful.

Here it is None of us are getting out alive

Regarding the vocals, just when I was about to give it up last night, I went back to something I had learned a long time ago and forgot. Vocal exercising to "warm" up the vocal chords. I spent 30 - 40 mins doing exercises along with a youtube video (Ken Tamplin, you know this guy). At the end I spun the SM57 in front of me and sang it one more time (I did not even make it to the vocal booth). That final version sitting at my desk is what you will hear here. For me much of the cringe moments were gone.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: sslechta
LOL!!! I think I can hit 2 and a half!

Ha...
Singing has always been my confidence hurtle.
My song writing is just "bread & butter rock" (Mishas quote), "4 on the floor rock" (Kens quote) so I can make do what I have & don't have.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Cool song Dan. I listened to it once then pick up a guitar and played over it the second time around. Key of B minor I assume?

Everything seemed to fit and the whole thing was logical to me. Universal subject matter which is always a good thing.

Toontracks stuff is fun to work with.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Songwriting
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Billy,
Ya, Bm. It started in Dm but when the vocals came along it needed to go down. Did you play over those diminished chords?? grin PM me if you want the .mgu file.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Not getting out alive - chart.jpg (115.21 KB, 79 downloads)

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Dan

LOL...I am not skilled enough to recognize every chord I hear. As far as diminished chords go, they have a pretty recognizable sound. Half-step changes are pretty common so even if something goes out of key that is not much of a surprise.

I think I recognized the Bm chord when I first listened to the song. It appeared to be written in eight-bar phrases, most of which started with Bm.

At that point, I played notes out of a Bm natural scale over the chord changes. It became quickly obvious that the song did not stay in key everywhere. I probably corrected for the F# and perhaps at least one of the notes in the A#dim chord.

Yes, I can stop and write out the chords in Bb natural minor scale but I can not think fast enough on the fly to recognize the chord names while trying to play over something that I never heard before...lol

So a very long-winded answer to your question about " Did you play over those diminished chords??" No, not in the sense of knowing that it was A#dim. Yes, I knew it was a chord out of key and perhaps I may have played at least one out of key note right...lol

I do not have ear training skills that are developed to the point I can easily recognize chord progressions.

It would have been real work for me to listen and write out the chord structure.

Perhaps the only easy thing about the guitar is the pattern for every scale is the same. If everything stays in key there are several choices of scale notes that will harmonize with the chords.

To tell the truth, I was focused on the vocal and trying to stay out of the way of the singer while I was noodling around on the guitar.

I for sure can not sightread for guitar in standard notation but...

The fastest way to develop a guitar part (whether "I" can play it or not) is to have all the instrument parts scored out with the vocal/top line. Otherwise, it is very easy to get things muddied up/cover up the vocal.

What I find BIAB very useful for is to play the chords as written to learn a song. That also makes playing a melody much less work to do.

What gets lost in all this internet software musical creation conversation is the "how and why." How did you start for example? With a drum line? From BIAB? From EZDrummer? Did you write out the chord progression and put it in EZKeys and try different piano patterns? What was the thinking when using Scaler for the chord progression?

Well... enough already...lol

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Songwriting
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Planobilly

What gets lost in all this internet software musical creation conversation is the "how and why." How did you start for example? With a drum line? From BIAB? From EZDrummer? Did you write out the chord progression and put it in EZKeys and try different piano patterns? What was the thinking when using Scaler for the chord progression?

Well... enough already...lol

Billy

Hello Billy, I am afraid if I attempt to answere these questions it will appear that I know what I am talking about and I don't want to give that false impression. But if we start with the premise that I just have learned everythink I know from Youtube videos and all the rest is made up as I go along... then here are some quick answers.

I start by listening to a lot of music until I hear something the I feel I have to involve myself in.
Next I (find, steal or create) the beginnings of the chordal backing. This takes me to Scaler or BIAB. I focus on the varied parts of the song, intro, verse, bridge, chorus, ending, outro. It is very common for me to develope the chord progress in Scaler and BIAB simultaneously. Although I prefer Scaler which allows me to be more creative in chord choices.

I never start with drums. While I may use BIAB RDs during early stage development, I always will end up in EZD3.

Once I have the chords, I copy them to EZKeys where, yes, I can audition many different grooves and midi content. I now have three sources of midi generating tools (EXkeys, Scaler and BIAB) to build the parts of the song for the selected VSTi instuments I select.

Words come last or not at all.

Here is an update on my current project.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=762642#Post763881

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,662
Posts735,544
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173