Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
B
Bent Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Why does my notation come out in a different (higher) octave when I re-open the file than when I saved it?
And how do I change octaves generally?

I can't seem to find a solution in the manual - I actually had to re-enter the notation of a whole song to get the octave changed - there's got to be a simple solution to this.

I'm embarrassed to be asking what is most probably a stupid question, but what can I do ... I'll be grateful for any help!

Veteran
Veteran
Go to options in the notation window and use the transpose box, -12 or +12. Ray

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Bent,

Welcome to the forums smile

What track are you changing the notation on?

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: raymb1
Go to options in the notation window and use the transpose box, -12 or +12. Ray

I've entered some notation for a fiddle tune in the key of D.
All the notes are in the B,D,F (and ledger lines above) range.
When I transpose it to F, the notation is even higher.
How do I get the notation for the key of F to show on the lower string notes or lower register?

I've looked in the manual and on the Help page, but I can't find the topic.

Thank you.

Last edited by harryt8; 09/04/13 10:16 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Harry,

When transposing, BIAB will go to the closest option. This means it will choose going up from D to F rather than down from D to F.

If you've written the melody to the Melody track ...

When you've transposed, click on "Melody" (#1) and then "Edit Melody Track" (#2). Down the bottom of the pop-up menu select "Utilities" (#3) and from there choose "Transpose One Octave Down" (#4). That should do the job.

Hope this helps,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Noel,

Thank you so much for this valuable lesson.
These precise and quality instructions aren't in the book that's for sure.
Very much appreciated.

Regards.

Harry

B
Bent Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
I can only second what Harry said about Noel's excellent guidance - it was very helpful and worked like a charm - thanks a lot!

Also thanks to Ray for the tip!

Now I only need to know why BIAB transposes songs without being asked to (?) - I save a song in one key, but it almost always opens in a different key, even though I use Save+

Anyway, thanks again for the help I've already received!

Veteran
Veteran
Because you still have the transposition in effect?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
B
Bent Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Thanks for replying, Matt - there's definitely something I don't know about here - what does it mean that the tranposition is in effect?

B
Bent Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
You don't need to answer my question about transposition, Matt - I found out what you meant (I hadn't noticed the automatic transposing function that can be switched on and off) - I'm sure that's exactly what has been my problem all along - thank you very much for calling my attention to that!

Veteran
Veteran
Glad you solved it. This got me once also. I play several instruments pitched in different keys, so it took me a moment to figure out what was messing with my head.

After I reported this in beta testing, Dr. Gannon added a brief flashing yellow cautionary message about loading a song when a transposition is in effect. I'll have to do some tests to see if that is still the case.

Last edited by Matt Finley; 09/06/13 04:30 PM.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
The Transposition warning dialog still works as advertised here.

But ya gotta pay attention to it and read it when it goes by.

--Mac

Expert
Expert
Okay. Sort of sneaking in here....Today I wanted to transpose certain sections of a song, but not the whole song. I thought that I might be able to select the notes and use shift up/down or something like that. I couldn't find anything in help about this so I just used the mouse and moved the notes down. A couple of times I couldn't get the note down all the way so I used the Edit Note function. It actually only took a few minutes, but I kept thinking there's got to be a better way. Is there?

Cornet Curmudgeon
Veteran
Veteran
Another way would be to delete the note, (right click), then enter a new note. Later, Ray

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Originally Posted By: Shastastan
Okay. Sort of sneaking in here....Today I wanted to transpose certain sections of a song, but not the whole song. I thought that I might be able to select the notes and use shift up/down or something like that. I couldn't find anything in help about this so I just used the mouse and moved the notes down. A couple of times I couldn't get the note down all the way so I used the Edit Note function. It actually only took a few minutes, but I kept thinking there's got to be a better way. Is there?

Not sure what it is exactly that you are trying to do, but if it is just a Transposition of all the instruments for a certain section, you can use the Bar Settings to change the key of a song at any selected bar.

Don't forget to use Bar Settings to change it back, or to the Key that is needed for the next section.

That is far less manual labor.

--Mac

Expert
Expert
<<Not sure what it is exactly that you are trying to do, but if it is just a Transposition of all the instruments for a certain section, you can use the Bar Settings to change the key of a song at any selected bar. >>

Sorry, Mac. I didn't make myself clear. I was not changing keys just dropping an octave in some sections of the song. In some other programs I have, the transpose function includes octave changes also. I was only working on the melody.

Cornet Curmudgeon
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Shastastan
<<Not sure what it is exactly that you are trying to do, but if it is just a Transposition of all the instruments for a certain section, you can use the Bar Settings to change the key of a song at any selected bar. >>

Sorry, Mac. I didn't make myself clear. I was not changing keys just dropping an octave in some sections of the song. In some other programs I have, the transpose function includes octave changes also. I was only working on the melody.

Update: There is not a good way to do what I want in BIAB, but here's what I came up with:

1. If there are only a few changes, just do those manually by moving the individual notes in notation edit view.

2. If there are are a lot of changes, export the song to a midi file, open the midi file in a notation program (musescore, finale, etc.) and make the changes there.

3. Bite the bullet and make all the changes within BIAB in notation edit.

I'm sure there are a lot of other possibilities as well....

Cornet Curmudgeon
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
There is a fast way to change the pitches of any MIDI BB track right inside BB.

Use the PianoRoll view.

If you hold down ctrl key while highlighting the bar representation of notes in PianoRoll view, you can then scroll to the right and keep adding notes by holding down the ctrl key and continue the mouse drag until the entire amount of notes you wish to pitch shift have changed color and highlighted.

Then, just hold down the ctrl key again as you grab the first note of the selection and drag it down one octave. All the selected notes will drag down with it at the same time.

Done.

I just tried it to make sure its still working like that, it is here. And, you get to HEAR the MIDI notes as you drag it, as well.

--Mac

Last edited by Mac; 09/19/13 01:41 PM.
N
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
N
Hi!

I am late to this. I have worn myself out trying to raise 8 bars of a melody one octave using
BIAB 2020. I just tried the Piano Roll (posted above) with no results. I have worn out AI asking it how. It gives solutions that do not work.

I cannot believe a program this huge and complicated does not have that ability built in. The "B" section of my AABB is too complicated to move a note at a time. No matter how I mark the 8 bars, when I hit transpose, it transposes the whole song.

Help please.

Natcheztoo

Last edited by natcheztoo; 09/29/23 11:48 AM.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
You can do this via Melody -> Edit Melody Track -> Transpose -> Transpose Range. Select +12, and 'part of song' then enter the range.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,662
Posts735,548
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173