Beginners Forum
P
Papity Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Hi,
The more I learn about Styles the more I am confused.
In brief, I try to assign specific styles to some of the sections of a song, but the result is the style of the 1st bar remaining along the whole song. So frustrating !

I tried to achieve my goal in different manner :
- highlighting (in black) the chosen bar, going to « Styles », « Styles picker », choosing the style, clicking “OK”
- right clicking on the bar, going to « Bar Settings », clicking on « .STY », choosing the style,
clicking “OK”
- clicking on the bar, right clicking on the Style denomination (in the wide black rectangle), clicking on “Change
Style at any bar”, clicking on “Close”
- using the “Multistyles” approach

Nothing worked and I can’t figure out where I act wrong.
Would you know how to solve this ?

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by Papity
Hi,
The more I learn about Styles the more I am confused.
In brief, I try to assign specific styles to some of the sections of a song, but the result is the style of the 1st bar remaining along the whole song. So frustrating !

I tried to achieve my goal in different manner :
- highlighting (in black) the chosen bar, going to « Styles », « Styles picker », choosing the style, clicking “OK”
- right clicking on the bar, going to « Bar Settings », clicking on « .STY », choosing the style,
clicking “OK”
- clicking on the bar, right clicking on the Style denomination (in the wide black rectangle), clicking on “Change
Style at any bar”, clicking on “Close”
- using the “Multistyles” approach

Nothing worked and I can’t figure out where I act wrong.
Would you know how to solve this ?

This method should work, but check that the song isn't frozen first:
Select the bar where you want the Style to change and press the <F5> function key to open the Bar Settings dialog, then select to change the style from there:

[Linked Image - Only viewable when logged in]

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Don't confuse MultiStyles with Changing styles. Two different things.

Use the F5 like you have been. Select the bar when you want the change to occur. But keep in mind the changes do not get reflected/updated in the Mixer. So you don't see the changes, you will only hear the changes at the bar you turned them on until you return to original style at a subsequent bar. Not exactly intuitive.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Beginners Forum
P
Papity Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Whatever style I choose on further bars, Band in a Box only reminds the first bar style and play it along the whole song.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Papity.

Could you please outline what the starting style is and what style you change to later on. I'll try it out and see what happens for me.

Regards,
--Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Just upload the song file and someone will see what is or is not wrong.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I wonder if this is a question that is being obscured by translation.

When Papity changes a style later in the song using F5, he/she writes: "Band in a Box only reminds the first bar style and play it along the whole song" (my emphasis added)

Dan (username MusicStudent) said, and I can verify, that the track names in the Mixer do not change when the style changes. I hear the style change but I don't see anything change in the mixer. Whole new instruments might be playing.

Is that the question here? That the style change works but you don't see visual evidence of that?

And is this really Multisyles, or choosing another style? Papity, you can upload your song (MGU or SGU file) to a free place like Dropbox, put it in a Public area, and post a link to the song here. Then as Dan suggested, we will know for certain.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Beginners Forum
P
Papity Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Originally Posted by Noel96
Hi Papity.

Could you please outline what the starting style is and what style you change to later on. I'll try it out and see what happens for me.

Regards,
--Noel

Thanks for your proposal, but this happens whatever the styles, I tried many combinations.
Could it be that the problem comes from a bad configuration of the Midi/Audio Driver Setup ?

Beginners Forum
P
Papity Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Originally Posted by Matt Finley
I wonder if this is a question that is being obscured by translation.

When Papity changes a style later in the song using F5, he/she writes: "Band in a Box only reminds the first bar style and play it along the whole song" (my emphasis added)

Dan (username MusicStudent) said, and I can verify, that the track names in the Mixer do not change when the style changes. I hear the style change but I don't see anything change in the mixer. Whole new instruments might be playing.

Is that the question here? That the style change works but you don't see visual evidence of that?

And is this really Multisyles, or choosing another style? Papity, you can upload your song (MGU or SGU file) to a free place like Dropbox, put it in a Public area, and post a link to the song here. Then as Dan suggested, we will know for certain.

I apologise for my bad english, but I am asking for help in both forums, english and french (my mothertongue), to maximise my chances to find a solution.
You are absolutely right about the bad use of the term "reminds", I should have written "keeps" or something similar.

I will try to explain the situation in a few words.
This is not about multistyles but well about changing styles.
It is not about visual evidence of changing styles but well about styles (audio) that don't change when they should.

I guess the problem comes from a bad setting I "applied" somewhere, but where ?
Could that be in the Midi/Audio Driver Setup ?

NB: The track name doesn't change in the mixer when the style changes, but it changes in the black rectangle below the title of the song, I have seen it a week ago before my problem appeared.

Last edited by Papity; 10/16/23 02:44 PM.
Beginners Forum
P
Papity Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
As I can see, no track is frozen.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
I would suggest try Option > Return to Factory Settings > Most and see if that makes a difference.

Also, I think the only place you see that the Style has changed is directly below the song title window.

Here is a quick example where I changed the style on bar 5. The first image is the original Style:

Here is the Style showing when the song reaches Bar 5:

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Beginners Forum
P
Papity Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
That was the solution, now everything is going well.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Great. smile
Which one was the solution?
- Return to Factory Settings?
or
- The only place you see that the Style has changed is directly below the song title window?

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by AudioTrack
Great. smile
Which one was the solution?

Ya, confused

Beginners Forum
P
Papity Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
I have to be honnest , I stopped discussing in this forum about changing styles because knobody seemed to understand my problem, despite their efforts.

Now, I found the solution, by chance, and I wish to share it.
When programming a style for Bar #40 (just an example) I realized it was coming at Bar #80.
I tried with Bar #20 and it came at Bar #40.
So, there is a Factor 2 between what I planned and what I got.

Then I made de connection with the tempo of the styles I used.
In the Bluegrass section I am interested in, the same style appears twice.
e.g. _BLUGRG8 / Feel ev8 / Tempo 260 / Bluegrass Reso Solo 8ths @260 / Set #Half-double
_BLUGRGS / Feel ev16 / Tempo 130 / Bluegrass w/Resonator Guitar Solo / Set RT
I always selected the Style with the 8 in the name, so I guess the above mentionned Factor 2 is the reason for my concern.

Greetings

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I’m trying to understand this explanation.

Are you using one or more RealTracks with a different time base (half-time or, more likely, double-time)? Is that what “Set# half-double” means?

Or are you saying that combining tracks of EV8 with EV16 caused this?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
I recall that you were asked:
Could you please outline what the starting style is and what style you change to later on.
and your reply was
Thanks for your proposal, but this happens whatever the styles
Unfortunately, only now you named two specific styles, one of which has a tempo of double the other (260 BPM vs 130 BPM).

If you had answered the original question, this might have been resolved much sooner.

What happens if you choose two styles with same or very similar recommended tempos? Does the Style change then apply at the desired bar correctly?

Beginners Forum
P
Papity Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Originally Posted by Matt Finley
I’m trying to understand this explanation.

Are you using one or more RealTracks with a different time base (half-time or, more likely, double-time)? Is that what “Set# half-double” means?

Or are you saying that combining tracks of EV8 with EV16 caused this?

In my song, I only use ev8 styles, there are 3 or 4 of them.
I never mixed ev8 and ev16.

Beginners Forum
P
Papity Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Originally Posted by AudioTrack
I recall that you were asked:
Could you please outline what the starting style is and what style you change to later on.
and your reply was
Thanks for your proposal, but this happens whatever the styles
Unfortunately, only now you named two specific styles, one of which has tempo of double the other (260 BPM vs 130 BPM).

If you had answered the original question, this might have been resolved much sooner.

What happens if you choose two styles with same or very similar recommended tempos? Does the Style change then apply at the desired bar correctly?

You are right, I should have given the exact description of the song earlier.

I have chosen 3 or 4 ev8 styles with the same recommended tempo of 260 bpm, but I lowered it to 210 bpm to better fit my song.

The situation is a bit tricky, to have a style applying at bar #40, I have first to go to bar #20 and change the style at this bar. And so on for the other changes, always dividing by 2 the bar number of the desired location and changing there the style.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
This still makes no sense to me, and if this
works for everyone as you describe, it needs attention.

Would you please post the song? You can’t do that here, but you can create a public place on Dropbox for free, upload the song, and post a link here.

You hinted at time base but skipped answering the first part of my question. Are you using any RealTracks with a half or double-time time base?

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,648
Posts735,427
Members38,526
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking
38,525 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 183
DC Ron 98
dcuny 89
rsdean 70
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.