#779013 10/16/23 03:42 AM
Off-Topic
S
shlind Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
S
I just discovered a new software for analyzing music - Song Master Pro.

https://aurallysound.com/products/song-master-pro

I find it quite amazing. You only drag or select an audio file into the app and it analyses:

- tempo, time signature, key
- chords
- song structure
- and generate stems (vocal, drum, bass, drums, guitar, piano and the rest)
- stems can be converted into midi (except drums) and the midi can then directly be dragged into a daw other programs.
- tools for pitch, chord, song structure adjustments and more

Demo version has full functionality (limit 15 min usage at a time)

Easiest is to download and test it for youself.

I am very impressed over the very clean, effective and user friendly GUI.

shlind #779015 10/16/23 04:05 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I had a look at a few of the videos including by other providers. It certainly looks to have some impressive features.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Yes, this does look very impressive! If the audio to MIDI is accurate one could take an audio track, convert it to MIDI, then print either notation, tabs, or both. That would be a way to learn a song, much better than how I ruined a lot of my old vinyl!

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
shlind #779024 10/16/23 06:35 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
First I have seen of this, but it does approach my workflow for some projects. In fact, much of this feature capability is already present in other packages. For example, creating stems from an mp3 is readily avialable on the web (https://ezstems.com/) and audio to midi really can't be done any better than Melodyne. Right? And getting the chords from an mp3 in EZKeys or EZBass Bandmate is as good as I have seen. And regarding all the section analysis I generally do this by ear in my DAW. But if the demo download is safe and allows full feature assessment, I may give it a try. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited by MusicStudent; 10/16/23 06:37 AM.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

DrDan #779029 10/16/23 07:32 AM
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted by MusicStudent
First I have seen of this, but it does approach my workflow for some projects. In fact, much of this feature capability is already present in other packages. For example, creating stems from an mp3 is readily avialable on the web (https://ezstems.com/) and audio to midi really can't be done any better than Melodyne. Right? And getting the chords from an mp3 in EZKeys or EZBass Bandmate is as good as I have seen. And regarding all the section analysis I generally do this by ear in my DAW. But if the demo download is safe and allows full feature assessment, I may give it a try. Thanks for the heads up.
Have you used ezstems? Reading through the instructions for installing Spleeter and Python made my eyes water. I have Song Master Pro and found it very useful. I also have Melodyne Studio, which has its own set of uses. I use the combination to transcribe bass lines and create backing tracks using the original song to play over.

Last edited by TheMaartian; 10/16/23 07:37 AM.

ThinkPad i9 32GB RAM 7TB SSD; Win11 Pro; PreSonus Studio 1810c; BiaB 2024 Ultra
Studio One 6 Pro; MuseScore 4; Melodyne 5 Studio; Acoustica Premium 7; Guitar Pro 8
Gig Performer 5; NI S61 MK3; Focal Shape 65; Beyerdynamic DT 880 & 770
shlind #779030 10/16/23 07:34 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
First impressions

Pros:
Downloaded and installed demo. No issues at all - very simple. Single exe file with no bloat. Looks like it can be removed easily.

Upon opening, I like how it is set up. I dragged an mp3 file from a recent project and it immediately set chords and "Sections" in seconds. I know this is well done because I had already done this in the past and it took me a fair bit of time. So this is a time saving plus.

Cost for Song Master 3.o (not the Pro version) is $60 USD. Don't think I need the pro version features to integrate midi.

Cons.
This program has been around since early 2021. Fact that I never heard of it suggests that it is not too popular.

This content and analysis is useless unless it can be moved from here to my DAW or into other applications like BIAB. For example the chord chart - I see no way of exporting/dragging this out of this application to another! Maybe a function of the free limit demo which does not allow saving?

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by TheMaartian
Have you used ezstems? Reading through the instructions for installing Spleeter and Python made my eyes water. Song Master Pro does a LOT. I have Melodyne Studio, which has its own set of uses.

Opps, Wrong link, sorry. I should have referenced https://studio.moises.ai/library/. This is all web based and free and works like a charm!

DrDan #779033 10/16/23 07:58 AM
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
I just tried to test ezstems with a song I'm working on: Too Rich For My Blood by Patricia Barber. Song Master Pro did the song analysis pretty quickly and took a couple of minutes to create the 5 stems I asked for. It did a very good job with the stem separation. I tried using ezstems with that song, but was told that the max file size for the free version was 5.2 MB. Too Rich For My Blood is a little over 80 MB for an 8 minute song. So, I wasn't able to do a stem comparison. 5.2 MB is pretty limiting, and if I've got to pay, I might as well use Song Master Pro, which I've already paid for.

Studio One 6 Pro; MuseScore 4; Melodyne 5 Studio; Acoustica Premium 7; Guitar Pro 8
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I might as well use Song Master Pro, which I've already paid for.

I have done my research and see no way to export the "Chord Chart" or the "Section Breckdown" content. Best would be format editable to allow it to integate into other apps, but I don't even see a pdf printout option in any menus. Can you even export the stems as audio files?

Is any of that available in the paid version?

shlind #779047 10/16/23 09:39 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Dan, I'm going to buy I bought the pro version and I'll find out if it's limited in the demo version, or not there at all. In my case, I don't need to transfer anything but you are correct, it would save time. EDIT: it can export an edited audio file (pitch, tempo etc.) as FLAC, OGG, or WAV file.

I have no idea why I did not know about the existence of this program. I use Transcribe now, and an iPhone app called Chord AI, for assistance in transcribing songs.

Quick Observations:

Pros:
loads and analyzes a song very quickly

much friendlier user interface than Transcribe, a competitor product.

the interface looks a lot like Studio One.

more accurate for transient (short) chords than Transcribe, possibly because of the next item below

big plus: the ability to specify SNAP TO a measure, beat, eighth note etc.

supports and recognizes more complex chords than some, like minMaj7, 7#11, b13 etc. that some other programs pretend do not exist

has the expected looping, pitch and tempo controls, nothing special but again, easy to find and use

It shows tempo as the song plays, and shows one decimal place! This one relates directly to BIAB. My recording studio goes crazy with files I generate in BIAB because, even if I do not change the tempo, the tempo of an exported file 'wanders' ever so slightly. Remember, BIAB only supports integers for tempo. As I play such a file in Song Master, the metronome marking changes (for example, 153, then 154, then 152, then 154 etc.). No, it won't export this as a tempo map but it is useful info to know about my song.

Upgrade price for Pro is the same overall price whether you get it outright or upgrade; I like straightforward pricing so I don't think I'm missing something or hit a 'gotcha'

and here's one I really love: you can change the time signature. I write sambas, and it analyzed one and gave me a time signature of 4/4 with a tempo of 77; however, my song was written at twice that tempo, 154 bpm, and I want the Song Master display to match my notation, so I changed the time signature to 2/2 and it matches. Very cool; I've never seen another program do this besides BIAB (which Bobflatpicker and I requested as a feature a few years ago).

incredible customer service. I ran into a minor wrinkle registering the paid version. I had used SHOP PAY and it created an automatic login to the Song Master Aurally website account, but did not tell me the password I need to register the software!!! Bad design. I wrote to the customer support and the program creator immediately gave me instructions to reset my password, and I registered.

Cons:
seemed to get confused deciding between full and half-diminished 7th chords, but that might be my audio sample; need to test further

I'm still trying to find a Con about the features. I'll report back again.

The demo times out after 15 minutes; no problem, just start the program again.

Didn't test:
anything to do with MIDI, exporting etc. since this requires a paid version. I'll be back to write more about this.

Last edited by Matt Finley; 10/16/23 11:21 AM. Reason: added more info especially about registering

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
DrDan #779098 10/16/23 11:44 PM
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted by MusicStudent
I might as well use Song Master Pro, which I've already paid for.

I have done my research and see no way to export the "Chord Chart" or the "Section Breckdown" content. Best would be format editable to allow it to integate into other apps, but I don't even see a pdf printout option in any menus. Can you even export the stems as audio files?

Is any of that available in the paid version?
I haven't figured out a way to export the chord chart yet. Will have to contact the dev and ask. If not available, then that would be a perfect feature request.

In the Mixer tab, after you Generate Stems, you can select Save Stems. As a test, I used the same song "Too Rich For My Blood". It's an 8 minute song that took about 3 minutes to generate the stems. Clicking on the Save Stems button automatically created a folder under the SongMaster/Stems folder with the artist name and then the song title and saved the stems in .WAV format. They play just fine in any media player. Here's the folder address that was created on my system:

C:\Users\johna\Documents\SongMaster\Stems\Patricia Barber\09 Too Rich for My Blood.stems

shlind #779113 10/17/23 05:43 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I had a nice exchange with the developer.

We talked about exporting a tempo map (although Song Master has one decimal place in the tempo display, so that wouldn’t work into BIAB at present since BIAB supports only integers for the tempo).

He asked what format an exported chord chart should be if he added that feature. I told him I would get back to him, because I didn’t remember if BIAB accepts chord charts or that’s something I read in the Wishlist.

Help me out. Is there a way besides using Music XML to import chords into BIAB? Read a PDF? An ASCII (text) file? A comma delimited spreadsheet? And remember, Music XML is great for chord info but has no meaning with just audio.

And I don’t want to get into another argument with PG Music about BIAB ‘reading’ the chords from MIDI. MIDI has no chord into. BIAB interprets the chords from MIDI but that’s not the point here since what we want is the ability to import what a different program thinks the chords are.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted by Matt Finley
I had a nice exchange with the developer.
He asked what format an exported chord chart should be if he added that feature. I told him I would get back to him, because I didn’t remember if BIAB accepts chord charts or that’s something I read in the Wishlist.
I was thinking about this. I'm not aware of a standard exchange protocol for chord charts. If the primary purpose of this is for BiaB users get chords identified by SongMaster in an existing music file and then get them into BiaB as easily as possible, maybe something along the lines of a text file (easier to create than a PDF or Music XML file) structured like a BiaB song sheet (assumes 4 bars per line):

Key: Xx
Tempo: nnn
Bar:Beat:Chord, Bar:Beat:Chord, etc.

Example: a 12 bar blues in C

Key: C
Tempo: 80
Time Sig: 4/4
1:1:C, 2:1:C, 3:1:C, 4:1:C
5:1:F, 6:1:F, 7:1:C, 8:1:C
9:1:G, 10:1:F, 11:1:C, 12:1:G

For a bar with a chord on beats 2, 3 or 4, you would just note the beat in the second digit.

More likely, you could also do something like the following, where only chord changes are noted (again, the same 12 bar blues progression)

Key:C
Tempo: 80
Time Sig: 4/4
1:1:C
5:1:F, 7:1:C
9:1:G, 10:1:F, 11:1:C, 12:1:G

This is less cluttered and makes it obvious which bars in BiaB need chord entries.

I would open the chord.txt file in one window next to the BiaB window and manually enter the chords in BiaB.

One question is: what is the bar:beat resolution for chord change detection in SongMaster. Four beats per bar for a 3/4 or 4/4 time sig? Two beats for a 2/2? Eight for a 6/8? Or is it higher than that, like 8 for a 4/4 time sig. Versus BiaB pushes and microchords.

You could also use the text file to enter chords into any DAW that has a chord track, like Studio One. I would still like the idea of 4 bars per line to limit the width of the text file window and avoid any potential need to scroll horizontally.

Thoughts?

Last edited by TheMaartian; 10/17/23 07:30 AM.

shlind #779125 10/17/23 07:31 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
At the very minimum... Copy Chord Names (Text file by Section Parts) to the Clipboard.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
And I don’t want to get into another argument with PG Music about BIAB ‘reading’ the chords from MIDI. MIDI has no chord into. BIAB interprets the chords from MIDI but that’s not the point here since what we want is the ability to import what a different program thinks the chords are.

No argument here, BIAB creates MIDI Markers where the chord "names" are embedded in the midi file. Scaler does the exact same thing. When a midi file from BIAB or Scaler is dropped into Reaper a prompt is posted asking if you want to insert the Midi Markers into the Reaper file as Chord Markers. Unfortunately, only Reaper appears to recognize this feature. However, as you mentioned BIAB does not read these midi markers for its input. But Song Master Pro could do this for us Reaper folks. grin

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
midi Markers.png (34.97 KB, 314 downloads)
Last edited by MusicStudent; 10/17/23 08:02 AM.

shlind #779142 10/17/23 11:52 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
OK, here we go. Dan, I think what you are seeing as chord names in Reaper (or any 'chord track' in other DAWs) is just like in BIAB, the interpretation of what chord it is when reading the MIDI file. Simply put, chord names are not embedded in a MIDI file. The MIDI standard does not contain it. This is even true of MIDI 2.0, and I couldn't believe they didn't add that function. If any music program is including chord names along with MIDI, it must save that file as a different extension than MIDI. As there is no standard for doing that, we get all these programs with their proprietary and incompatible formats.

To my knowledge, only Music XML standard at present does contain the actual name of the chord in the text, or at least the info that you can read the exact chord name if you understand the code. The problem with how that works, and it would be the same problem with Song Master, is that a chord might be assigned the wrong name during the Export as Music XML process. I can demonstrate, for example, how BIAB calls a 7(#11) a 9(#11) when exported. 7Alt is another example where you have to flip a coin and decide whether it will be exported with a # or b 5 and/or a # or b 9. And even in BIAB's MIDI Chord Detection, there are as many as four alternatives to a chord's name when given the notes that make it up.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
OK, here we go. Dan, I think what you are seeing as chord names in Reaper (or any 'chord track' in other DAWs) is just like in BIAB, the interpretation of what chord it is when reading the MIDI file.

No way. It is not an interpretation! Just like from Scaler. Reaper is only pasting the contents, not reading the notes.

Oh, is that what you ment for argueing? Certainly don't want to do that. grin

DrDan #779149 10/17/23 12:37 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Ok, that’s good info. So if you changed the name of a chord in that track in Reaper, and made it a chord name that was not at all what the MIDI notes spell, that would work?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
So if you changed the name of a chord in that track in Reaper, and made it a chord name that was not at all what the MIDI notes spell, that would work?

Yes! Both BIAB and Scaler add midi markers to the output midi file which contain the chord name they have assigned (i have no idea how they do this, but they do). Reaper knows how to insert these midi markers into its own "project markers" when the midi is inputted. The markers serve only as text labels on top of each bar.

DrDan #779182 10/17/23 07:10 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
OK, good. We are halfway there (without even arguing; I don't think I've ever argued with you). Then how is this chord info transferred into any other program? It won't go as a MIDI file. I'm assuming it is exported as a file type used by Reaper. Is that correct? If so, we've circled around to make my point. If it works some other way, I would love to learn how.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,662
Posts735,548
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173