Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
A
A_R Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
A
Just about every other piece of software I use puts out blog posts or simple messages on what they are working on in their next release, which keeps everyone excited about what's in store for the next release, but when I come here, I see nothing like that. The last maintenance update was back in June, and all of the posts are about last year's release. I know a new release will be coming in December, but once again I leave the website uninspired about the future of Band in a Box. A little communication on what's being tested in the beta releases would go a long way to keeping people excited about the future.

Veteran
Veteran
Perhaps, the mystery of what new magic the good folks at PG Music are going to come up with is even more enticing than advance teaser posts.

Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Veteran
Veteran
The beta testers are required not to disclose anything about the new features. And as you know, PG Music has never pre-announced.

I don’t have any major music software that does what you describe, so you must have other software than I do. I’m curious if you could cite some examples.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Those of us that are older will remember Vaporware. That was when software companies promised something but didn't deliver it. Even if what they did deliver was better than what was promised people still loudly complained that said feature was included. Thus companies stopped posting what was coming. Today some companies will disclose what is included in updates when the product is in the last beta stages.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Expert
Expert
I can just imagine what would happen if they did announce.............half the forum would be sayting 'that's not what we want at all'...............and the other half would be suggesting 'improvements'............then the complaints would come in that the new features are only availalble as a paid upgrade and other software often includes upgrades in lifetime licences.......i don't blame PG for keeping quiet

D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
The fact that updates are so few and far between is, in my opinion, a testament to the great work the beta testers and BIAB programmers do to make a clean product. When there is an issue, in my experience, they are on it fast and resolve any problem users are having.

There is always the wish list page to make recommendations for future BIAB releases.

Personally, I'm always excited to see what new comes along and don't particularly need to know ahead of time. Focus on what's in hand and let Dr. Gannon do his thing. There are always plenty of surprises at the proper time.

Likewise, I don't blame them either for keeping things under wraps until release date. Not that I blame A_R for being excited about upcoming releases either. I just think it's better they keep it under wraps.

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
It would be a hot mess!

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted by Bob Calver
half the forum would be sayting 'that's not what we want at all'...............and the other half would be suggesting 'improvements'............then the complaints would come in that the new features are only availalble as a paid upgrade and other software often includes upgrades in lifetime licences
There will be plenty of time for all that after the new release!

B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
Originally Posted by A_R
Just about every other piece of software I use puts out blog posts or simple messages on what they are working on in their next release, which keeps everyone excited about what's in store for the next release, but when I come here, I see nothing like that. The last maintenance update was back in June, and all of the posts are about last year's release. I know a new release will be coming in December, but once again I leave the website uninspired about the future of Band in a Box. A little communication on what's being tested in the beta releases would go a long way to keeping people excited about the future.

Bull. Nobody in their right minds announces details about what they are working on.

Byron Dickens

BIAB. CbB. Mixbus 32C 8 HP Envy. Intel core i7. 16GB RAM W10. Focusrite Scarlett 18i 20. Various instruments played with varying degrees of proficiency.

https://soundcloud.com/athanorsoundlabs
Veteran
Veteran
I'm not familiar with any music software where the developer announces future functionality until the product is virtually ready for release.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
A
A_R Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
A
Originally Posted by Byron Dickens
Bull. Nobody in their right minds announces details about what they are working on.

Except just about everyone does, even the company who's software PG Music uses to create band in a Box does.

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
A_R give an example. If your talking about Delphi then hhhmmm maybe but that is apples and oranges. All a coding software releases is a few bug releases and a new feature or two. Only interesting to, well coders.

Music programs with vast user bases, I don’t think so. Presonus doesn’t Cubase doesn’t Cakewalk doesn’t, Protools doesn’t, Harrison doesn’t, Abelton doesn’t, No one I can think of. Maybe Reaper to a degree as they welcome the entire user base to get involved and play with pre-releases long before release. Kind of unique.

Not trying to be argumentative with you, but name one benefit to PGM for listing the new features and content prior to release?

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Just another Thursday for Trevor so he is ready to test! No turkey day down undah! Just daily routine and a vegemite sammich for lunch! Wash it down with a Cooper’s dark ale!

Last edited by Rob Helms; 11/23/23 01:49 PM.

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted by Rob Helms
Reaper to a degree as they welcome the entire user base to get involved and play with pre-releases long before release.
name one benefit to PGM for listing the new features and content prior to release?
I can think of a couple benefits right off the top of my head...

1) Engaging/creating user community, especially younger users (The Future!)

2) Gaining critical insights as to what users want (multi-riffs) and what they don't want (VideoTracks) before you invest all of your limited resources.

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
JJJ, They do listen to users hence the wish list forums. We can all post things that we wish would be implemented. Then they choose what to do and how to do it rather than endure constant badgering to take the program in multiple directions. Ones they know may not be possible at this time. It is what it is, it is up to PGM to decide how they run their business.

They have been rather consistent in the business model. So far it is working. You or I may do things different if we were in charge. You never know if we were we may make the exact same decision if we knew what they know. You have to admit that they are also in step with the majority of the Music software industry, which also keep things under wrap until they release.

Veteran
Veteran
I was a beta tester for 20 years for Encore, an early music notation software. They were bought out and the new owner let it languish. I converted to another program (and I’m a beta tester for them now too).

Last year, summer of 2022, the original developer of Encore bought the company back, announced detailed plans on a new website, and promised delivery in Fall 2022. Guess what? The website changed a few months ago to Fall 2023. Recently it changed to Winter 2023. All the while, they got hammered in the user forum for missing the announced deadlines. We aren’t anywhere near finding out whether the announced features will be implemented. What fun that will be if they aren’t.

Is that what is being requested?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
Originally Posted by A_R

Except just about everyone does, even the company who's software PG Music uses to create band in a Box does.

Bull.

How about some evidence to support your unsubstantiated claim?

Byron Dickens

BIAB. CbB. Mixbus 32C 8 HP Envy. Intel core i7. 16GB RAM W10. Focusrite Scarlett 18i 20. Various instruments played with varying degrees of proficiency.

https://soundcloud.com/athanorsoundlabs
A
A_R Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
A
A lot of the Add-on suppliers do, I constantly get spam with emails and newsletters of what they are working on, Positive Grid is one I can think of off the top of my head which does it. I don't see the big deal of allowing customers to have a road map of where things are going, I like knowing if it's moving in a direction I want to invest my time in

A
A_R Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
A
Originally Posted by A_R

Bull.

How about some evidence to support your unsubstantiated claim?
Why are you so angry? There is no need to get so emotional about this.

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
A_R you are correct there is no need to get angry or upset. It's just software. I see your point. I think a good thought it that BiaB is not a scaler, or ezkeys or positive grid, even a Studio one or reaper. it is a 30 year old program that has feature that encompass a lot of ground and goes in a lot of direction. It is not a plugin or actually a DAW in the strictest sense, it is an auto accompaniment program that has multiple layers of capability. It is now days a slow growth like an old oak. They are unlikely to rewrite the program using newer code as it would upset the revenue cycle. For what it is worth there is a lot of emotion attached to the old gal. Folks here get passionate about it. Many have decades of usership. I've actually been here 20 years. So you question is not a bad one, but unlikely to ever happen.

Imagine if they posted all the new features and fixes, then took the time to answer every question, suggestion, and response that would develop from that post. Imagine how many different "I think you should do this or add that" it would cause. There are folks here with deep attachment to many other programs, that would love PGM to go their direction. Some are midi people, others music teachers, some recording studios, still others hobbyist, some do loops, some real tracks and on and on. Each with a unique workflow, and maybe a unique DAW they finish projects in. Some want it to mirror the newer DAW programs, others would like it to remain old school and neither see the other sides views.

They added the wish list forum a few years back so everyone can post their thoughts, and I can tell you they do listen, but having met Peter on two occasion at online events, he does not want to open it up more as the release cycle for windows and mac are brutal and it takes all year to get done what they do.

People constantly post regarding they should just stop and rewrite for a year, or use this code source, or try this or that. The problem is those comments while coming from sincere folks that care, they simply do not know what goes on behind the screen, and what it would take to make those changes. It's easy to play Monday quarterback, when you are not the one throwing the ball.

Anyway, good question, and sorry it gets heated sometime. Please continue to offer ideas, and suggestions.

Last edited by Rob Helms; 11/23/23 03:07 PM.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,654
Posts735,478
Members38,526
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking
38,525 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 175