Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#788901 12/13/23 07:20 AM
Off-Topic
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Toontrack is in the middle of its week long sale which changes each day. An EZKeys 2 midi pack at $10 is the time to buy.

https://www.toontrack.com/holiday-deal-week/

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Dear Dan and others,
I've played Keys, Guitars, Bass & Drums for many years (mostly by ear)... I've worked with MIDI and Audio for decades. I also have great ears, eyes, not so much...
Last year I invested money & time in Native Complete, with mixed production results... My goal is to enhance my recorded music production, in terms of quality, speed, and ease.

What are the main differences between Toontrack and Native Complete? How could I benefit, from adding Toontrack's software. tools, and content to what I have now?
What can I hope to accomplish with the addition of these products... The cost in money is not as important to me, as is the cost of my time. Thanks for your time, and any info and advice.

Last edited by bloc-head; 12/13/23 11:06 AM. Reason: added text

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Win-11; BiaB-2024-latest Beta;
Cakewalk; Melodyne-5; Scaler 2; NI Komplete:
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

Off-Topic
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Wow, started with a simple heads up for a $10 midi pack and turned into a "What are the main differences between Toontrack and Native Complete? "

Native complete is a huge collection of individual music making tools and applications all which play on the Native Instrument Platform. Toontrack is a company who makes three major applications (EZD, EZK and EZB). Again these are music making tools and applications but these play either in standalone (PC/Mac) applications or load into your DAW as virtural instruments (VSTi).

"What can I hope to accomplish with the addition of these products... The cost in money is not as important to me, as is the cost of my time."

Glad to hear money is not object, casue none of this stuff is cheap (except a $10 Midi pack) which by the way requires you purchase EXKeys 2.

What you can accomplish is entirely up to you. In the case of EZKeys, this application can read, write, compose, and edit midi, which can be used to play world class professional piano accompaiment to your music, if that is what you need.

Anything beyound that I refer you to Google for hours of examples of what the toontrack products can do.

Good luck
Dan

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Thanks DrDan... anyone else with experience or insight into these composition/production tools?

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
They are excellent instruments that can be used to play your own midi compositions or files. But they also have loads of great midi that you can add to your own, use to jumpstart your own creativity, or use just as is if you need a world class piano or drummer or bass player. The best thing to do is to go to their site and listen to some demos, google and find others that are using them, check our the U Tube videos of which there are probably thousands.

My wife asked if I had seen the dog bowl. I told her I didn't even know he could.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by bloc-head
Thanks DrDan... anyone else with experience or insight into these composition/production tools?

I will embellish a little on Dan's response:
1-Toontracks also make EZMix: a mix and mastering program
2-Each Toontrack product has additional add-ons that you can purchase, as Dan indicate it can get expensive.
3-EZKeys2 is not just dedicated to piano or keyboards. One can apply an EZKey2 track to any sound. I have used piano tracks from EZKeys2 and used a full string orchestra as my sound source. I also have imported MIDI string grooves into the user option of EZKeys2. You can combine them with EZKeys 2 groves to power a Kontakt string section, or any other section; I have used brass sound sources also.

As Dan said it is all MIDI so you can edit those tracks to your hearts content.

I like to take the Utility track from BiaB, bring it into EZKeys2, then use EXKeys2 grooves to change said track. Then I bring that modified track back into BiaB. There are a number of options when using both programs together.

As suggested look at the videos to get a better view of what Toontrack packages can do. I should say that I have EZKeys2 and EZMix only, thus I can not comment on the other available software.

I hope this helps.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Thanks etcjoe.
Thank you Mario, very helpful indeed...
Thanks again Dan.

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Hey bloc-head,

First let me say that I play guitar reasonably well and lots of other instruments a little. But currently my passion is creating most of my tracks using BIAB and other similar products. If a virtual instrument has only samples I have less interest in it as I prefer to build tracks from patterns and grooves and then edit them to suit me. This preference is a large part of why I love BIAB and Toontrack! So, if you prefer to play your own parts on a MIDI controller my advice might be less useful to you.

I own all the Toontrack products and Native Instruments Komplete as well. My favorite part of Komplete is Kontakt and the Session Guitarist instruments because they include real instruments along with MIDI grooves for them. So, a lot like BIAB! I also like all the synths that come with Komplete but, other than playing around and reviewing them, I've not used them in a production yet.

Toontrack products, except for EZMix, are very much like BIAB in that you can pick an instrument and a groove (MIDI), enter your chords (or use their suggested chords for the groove), and BAM...you have your track! Of course you can edit the MIDI as you wish.

Folks like DrDan and Mario have been extremely helpful in showing me how to connect Toontrack to BIAB! I learned that any Realtrack with MIDI can be exported from BIAB to Toontrack products for editing and using their instruments. I learned how to set up a BIAB chords track to directly feed to Toontrack stuff.

Since you indicated money is not a concern I'd say get the following ASAP!

- EZKeys and maybe a few add-on instruments like grand, upright and others you like.

- EZBass and maybe a couple of add-ons for any specific genre you might like

- EZDrums and maybe a couple of add-ons for any specific genre you might like

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
JJJ... thanks so much for this info...
So far, I've heard mostly good things about Toontracks, and very little criticism.
I'm intrigued.

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted by bloc-head
JJJ... thanks so much for this info...
So far, I've heard mostly good things about Toontracks, and very little criticism.
I'm intrigued.
You'll like how well designed Toontracks GUI is! Unlike some other software products 🤪 Toontracks is really fun to use!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Dan,
Thank you for the link.

Toongrack is a fancy Midi generator with a sound synth. Some sounds ar OK, but I think their "instruments" are way overpriced. Thankfully, EZkeys has MiDI out, so you can rout it to any third party soundsource (like Komplete for example)

While EZkeys has a clean interface and a few workflow gems, BIAB was doing this stuff for many, many years. (Transposition /tempo changes based on chords) Unfortunately very little consideration was given to BIAB's GUI and workflow on that matter, however it finally changed for the better this year. If you look at MTP (Multipicker) Library there is a Midi Track tab. Well, these are same type of loops EZkeys uses.

I hope new BIAB Midi browser is only at infant stage and will improve significantly next release. PGM included 800 midi stems/tracks with 2024 release. Some are nice and very usable, some are not.

---------------------------------
JJJ,
I picked up their (NI) new Ukulele, same idea as with guitars that you like. Nice stuff.

Last edited by Rustyspoon#; 12/14/23 05:44 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I hesitate to jump in here, but I've got some time while I wait for folks to make suggestions on how to get my 2024 working properly
(thanks to all who are trying - Noel...I will be trying your suggestions...)

I began buying EZKeys "stuff" 7 years ago. I know that because I wrote one song then using it then.
None since.

I got that first piano on sale (xmas) for $29. I also got a MIDI pak on sale for $10 (Sweetwater used to do them for $9 - I always buy from them).
Since then, I have added 8 more piano modules. And 24 MIDI paks. All bought for $29 and $10.
When EZKeys 2 came out, I upgraded (I'm invested now)

I "play with it" a lot.
I almost never use it (not for lack of trying).

The first song I did, I used the existing EZKeys phrases to build a track (meaning their chord progression, not a new one).
And then I wrote a song - to the track.
The track I used was unlike anything I could get from BIAB (at the time, at least).
It worked great to use their existing phrases.

However...since then I have tried a number of times to build a convincing piano track for a full song.
Those are meant to be stark piano/vocal kinds of songs. (my chord progression)
I have found it VERY difficult to do that.
if you use the same phrases repetitively, it sounds that way. You have to mix it up - and be subtle about it.

Many times I have built a track and scraped it. And gone Back to BIAB for a piano track (that is not quite what I want it to be. I've given examples of that in the WishList area for the last year, but those type piano tracks are still not available).

I actually ended up spending the last year learning to play the piano myself.
I tried a LOT of different methods - a Long story - but one of the things that finally allowed me to "turn the corner" on understanding what I was doing was by opening EZKeys and loading a phrase and learning to play it. I then move on to another, and another and another.

So. My "answer" to the question - I like having EZKeys and I've learned something from it.
But I think it is difficult to get a true Performance. A big learning curve (but what doesn't have that).
You can likely get a backing track that would work in a BAND situation (not the piano/vocal thing), but BIAB will do That for you with the click of a button.

I would be REALLY interested in hearing a full track that someone has written in EZKeys. A really Good one.

If you are interested in hearing the one song I DID do using EZKeys here it is (everything else except the solos is BIAB)
https://soundcloud.com/floydjane/too-dangerous

(You'll get to hear Janice Merritt and Tom Adams - a cool solo, too....)

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd, I have had success in blending BiaB and EZKey piano tracks. I used BiaB piano tracks as background tracks and EZKey tracks for either a piano lead or a variation in the chorus portion of the song. Also mixing various EZKey styles can yield good results, much like mixing BiaB styles, regeneration of BiaB sections, and/or mixing Super MIDI tracks into your songs. YMMV

I should note that virtually all of my songs start in BiaB and EZKeys and other programs are add-ons.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, bits and pieces are easy.

I'm talking about building an entire track that sounds like a real performance and isn't hidden by other instruments.

I don't think that is easy.
And that might be information useful to someone considering a buy.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by floyd jane

I'm talking about building an entire track that sounds like a real performance and isn't hidden by other instruments.

I agree. Much like super MIDI tracks they have a propensity of being to busy for backing tracks. But like RTs and BiaB MIDI bits and pieces can yield better results then the original track. That was my only point.

I also agree that it "might be information useful to someone considering a buy". Thanx for bringing that up as I can overlook the obvious at times.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Dan, JJJ, Rusty, Floyd, Mario... your insight into this "EZ" is Gold... Thank you all so much.
I'll report back if I make the jump...

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted by floyd jane

I too have a lot of toontrack stuff. I am not sure it is the best for building an entire track using their midi. I think it works much better for snippets, or feeding other instrumentation. So many of the piano midi items they have work great with strings and brass as Mario as stated. I think they also have some good stuff if you need a piano solo for instance.

I am sure someone has done entire tracks, but you have to work at it, as it is not automatic in any sense. I think they have the best download and update interface out there. Very simple and works great. I love their GUI as well.

My wife asked if I had seen the dog bowl. I told her I didn't even know he could.
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
I don't understand the confusion over creating a complete track with EZKeys! It really is pretty simple. Just drag a groove you like for intro into the timeline and adjust chords to your liking. Then drag a groove for verses, choruses and bridge until you've built your entire track. EZ to change key, tempo, chords and length of any section.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by JohnJohnJohn
I don't understand the confusion over creating a complete track with EZKeys! It really is pretty simple. Just drag a groove you like for intro into the timeline and adjust chords to your liking. Then drag a groove for verses, choruses and bridge until you've built your entire track. EZ to change key, tempo, chords and length of any section.

Can you post a song you've done that is mainly piano and vocal?
Just saying "That's easy!" doesn't really prove anything.

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
I don't do songs that are mainly piano and vocals. I find EZKeys to be about the same difficulty as BIAB. They work similarly. BIAB is a little easier since it picks the grooves/riffs for you but then you play BIAB roulette with regen until you get what you want. With EZKeys you choose what you want for each part from a library instead of the BIAB roulette/regen path.

Oh and I'm not trying to prove anything. Just providing another perspective. Feel free to ignore it, not believe it, whatever yanks yet chain!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,662
Posts735,544
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173