Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hello Forum Folk & PG Staff,
I started work on a song yesterday.
I wanted to use drums stems to address a particular need, (the frequent issue of cymbals being too loud in a stereo Real Drum track).
I pulled up my list of Real Drums with stems and selected the best sounding fit.
When I imported the stems into my DAW, (Reaper), they were ALL mono. I changed my dry/centred setting selection and the stems still arrived in mono.
The MIX of drums inside BIAB, (with the stems muted), doesn't sound mono.
How can I recreate a kit when the overheads, toms and room tracks are mono?
Am I doing something wrong?
Musocity showed his extractor pulling stereo from a stem set but I would think BIAB would do this.
Has this been addressed in V2024?
This is important to me as I want more stems but not the associated problem.
Yes, I tried the search section but there were not matches for mono with stems or drums, I did a visual search of my own to no avail and the A.I. was unhelpful.

Last edited by rayc; 12/15/23 06:07 PM.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Veteran
Veteran
I don't know. Let me try an experiment.

ps I counted 124 drums with stems in audiophile 2024.

EDIT: OK, I loaded a new drum style with stems. While most are panned to the center (0), some are not, particularly the hi-hat which makes sense to me. Of course I can adjust the panning of any stem.

Otherwise I'm not sure how to test the stem to see if it's stereo. I suppose I could audition an individual file in /bb/drums.

Reading this in your question: "I pulled up my list of Real Drums with stems and selected the best sounding fit.", I assume you also panned the stems to your liking, and the problem is not hearing them in stereo in BIAB; the problem is exporting the panned settings (while not flat & centeres) to the DAW. Is that correct?

Last edited by Matt Finley; 12/15/23 07:10 PM.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by rayc
I keep finding all of the stems in a kit are in mono...hard to recreate the mix if the overheads, toms and room are in mono.
I tried changing export settings to no avail.
The source files should be stereo for the room and overheads but Biab shows them as mono like in the Tracks view now the Drums show as mono. If you use the Reaper ver6 BBVST you should get the stereo source files.

[Linked Image - Only viewable when logged in] [/quote]

Veteran
Veteran
Also you can just Freeze the stereo drum track in Biab, save it as a "new song drums only frozen.sgu" then open in Reaper with Open SGU in Reaper then select that track and run Stems from Strereo RealDrums (Reaper)

Veteran
Veteran
The one and only thing you need to do is install 2 scripts, no modifications, no complex installations:

[Linked Image - Only viewable when logged in]

rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I'm using Reaper 6.4.
I've been exporting from BIAB via the Audio - Export song as Audio - process - individual files etc. etc..
I do this becasue the BIAB VST can be quite flaky with regard to generating files - I often get half completed tracks or similar.
I'll try using the VST tomorrow morning and hope it resolves the problem.
If not I'll attempt the other tow processes you out line Musocity.
My biggest issue is that BIAB ought to do this without a problem.
THANK YOU.

Cheers
rayc
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by Matt Finley
...the problem is exporting the panned settings (while not flat & centeres) to the DAW. Is that correct?
Thanks Matt, but no, the problem is that the stems arrive, after exporting as MONO strems. Usually Overheads and things with movement across the sound stage, like toms, are stereo tracks.
Exporting via AUDIO or Track Actions delivers mono tracks.
Building a stereo image from stems usually starts with matching the panning placement of individual elements with their position in the overheads and then tweaking levels, EQ, etc. to get the sound desired. I can't do this if the overheads are mono. I CAN work on the toms by panning automation but that's lot of effort & time that ought not be required IF the stems that should be stereo were..
I've raised this problem a couple of times and BIAB staff don't seem to pick it up as an issue to address.

Cheers
rayc
Veteran
Veteran
I'm using Reaper 6.4.
you need v6.57+ release if you are using wma files
https://www.reaper.fm/download-old.php?ver=6x

rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by musocity
I'm using Reaper 6.4.
you need v6.57+ release if you are using wma files
https://www.reaper.fm/download-old.php?ver=6x
Ah, well, I suppose it's time to update Reaper. i don't incrementally update as I like to know what I have works and I have the machine off line.

Cheers
rayc
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I updated Reaper & had no luck.
I downloaded the liked scripts and tried to install & edit them but received error messages when trying to run them.
I have BIAB in the supplied drive at G....
UltraPAK (G:)
I have the current SGUs in the Reaper Media folder for the current project/song
Data (F:) >Documents and Settings > ray > My Documents > Reaper Media

Error messages attached.
I know enough to be dangerous...prove that yet again.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
import frozen error.png (50.76 KB, 157 downloads)
create stems from erro.png (5.68 KB, 156 downloads)

Cheers
rayc
Veteran
Veteran
"Install SWS Extensions to set Biab 2 bar count-in offset www.sws-extension.org"

Veteran
Veteran
You don't need to freeze all the stem tracks, just freeze the stereo main drum track then load it, select the track and run the Stems script.
I have updated the script so it plays over varying tempo maps smoother.
Import-frozen-SGU-MGU-realtracks-drums.zip
just replace the scripts in the script folder.

R
R
When I check the Mix vs the Overheads or Room tracks inside the Audio Edit window in BIAB, the latter 2 already show as mono only, while the drum Mix track, or for example piano tracks show as stereo wave files. So it looks like BIAB simply does not generate stereo tracks for Overheads or Room tracks, never mind the export to your DAW...

Veteran
Veteran
If you have the Stems generated in Biab then freeze the Mix track you will get all the Stem tracks in the frozen SGU also, and you will get the original stereo source files but you won't get the Stem name:

If you just generate the normal drum track only (and provided you have the Stems for it) then freeze that track you will get the stereo drum track that can be converted to stems with stem names:

rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I'll have a crack tomorrow...I've just shut down my computer as the rooms getting a bit hot and there's a bit of thunder about.
I thought I may have not edited the scripts properly.
The only changes I made were to insert G for C.
Okay I need to.
a) freeze the "Mix" tracks in BIAB, (easy enough as the stems won't "freeze"
b) Save the SGU as frozen to somewhere I can get to with the Action
c) call up the action, run it, select the SGU and all will be well?
I've sent this to support as an issue as it really is silly that the stems aren't properly useful.
It's one of many things BIAB need to address.
I know the program has been significantly upgraded for 2024 but I'm less inclined to spend the money if I can't do what I ought to be able to do.

Last edited by rayc; 12/18/23 01:08 AM.

Cheers
rayc
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks for your help so far musocity,
I'm a slow learner when it comes to scripts.
I had another crack at it today.
I started in BIAB. I tried to remove all but the stems & drum mix from the project but that doesn't seem to be easy.
I muted everything but the stems & drum mix.
I froze the drum mix
I saved the song with a diff name
I opened Reaper,
I removed the PG VST
I reinstated the PG VST
I opened the new song file
I ran the ACTION scripts one at a time and all three came up with error messages.
Two had, essentially, the same message after selecting the SGU file
The third didn't get that far and threw up its message ASAP.
You see, I'm a klutz, this is why I try not to get into this side of things.
Here're the error messages...

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
error2.png (43.8 KB, 117 downloads)
next error.png (71.56 KB, 117 downloads)

Cheers
rayc
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I just tried "Live Chat" and the chap there had no idea - even suggested I pan them in the mixer!!! He had no personal knowledge of a "workaround". I did mention that musocity has a script but then the chat magically "timed out".

Cheers
rayc
Veteran
Veteran
It gives you a notification to Install SWS Extensions for Reaper from https://www.sws-extension.org/

I updated the script in the previous message, you can swap the new ones with the old by just replacing them in the script folder.
You don't need to generate up Stems in Biab just the normal drum track then freeze the SGU and open in Reaper,
then run Script: Create stems from selected realdrums stereo track.lua

If you have generated up stems and froze the Mix track it will automatically import all drum stem tracks and you won't have to run Script: Create stems from selected realdrums stereo track.lua

Is it importing any tracks, there is no pic of Reaper tracks ?

You don't need the PG VST to load the SGU track/s in.

rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Nothing happens after the error messages.
I'll try the replacement script tomorrow.
I suppose it's pointless generating the tracks with the VST as they'll come up mono again won't they?
Thanks.
I'm a work in progress.

Cheers
rayc
Veteran
Veteran
You will get it sorted, don't worry. You are helping me out as I can iron out any issues.

The PG VST is not working right at the moment I only get 2 stems, if it was working it would give the stereo tracks if you send the track data method, but if you render it would probably give mono:

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,662
Posts735,550
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173