Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
rayc and mcity, can I ask a question? Why does it matter if a stem is stereo?

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Thanks for the explanation. That help understand the ask. Maybe this can be adjusted in time. As a workaround for now a stereo effect could mimic that need or duplicate the overhead stem track and pan 1 each direction. Add some reverb and it should sound pretty decent.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by Rob Helms
rayc and mcity, can I ask a question? Why does it matter if a stem is stereo?
Hello Rob,
"Building a stereo image from stems usually starts with matching the panning placement of individual elements with their position in the overheads and then tweaking levels, EQ, etc. to get the sound desired. I can't do this if the overheads are mono. I CAN work on the toms by panning automation but that's lot of effort & time that ought not be required IF the stems that should be stereo were."
Simply put a kit usually has a ride cymbal on one side and a crash on the other. Between them in places off centre are tome, hi hat, snare etc.
Since the stereo era took hold drums have mostly been recreated to audibly reflect how they look on stage.
Placing drums in position other than represented in the overheads can cause all sorts of problems sonically and even more in the mind of the listener...with the current arrangement
Even if the overheads were just cymbals the sound of all cymbals coming from the centre front would be odd but imagine a hi hat set up placed about 10.30 on the clock as well as noon.
As mentioned panning & automation can be a workaround for some elements BUT that'll take time & effort & suck the joy out of things.
Hope that helps.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by Ettienne
Hi Rayc,
I've recorded live drums for many albums, and the way BIAB makes the stems available (all mono) is 100% correct. This is how all mixing engineers receive drum stems for mixing, and that's why PG Music makes it available as mono tracks.
Hello Etienne,
your statement would be true and correct is TWO mono mics were recorded to get the stereo spread.
The fairly conservative "Recorderman" set up doesn't place a far left & far right mic for the stereo image but the placement of the two overhead mics WITH spill from the rest allows for a decent stereo image - that's why it's famous. Most other set ups go for a separate L & R overhead arrangement.
I suspect BIAB/PG provide JUST mono tracks is becasue someone in a critical position didn't actually know about mixing drums...well, that's the generous assumption though it could simply be that they figured most BIAB users would, at best, use stems to reinforce sounds in concert with the stereo mix track.
I've mixed many fully multitracked kits...I've worked with a few VERY professional and talented drummers. Each drummer sets up for a stereo image in their overheads no matter what "system" they use. They ensure that a properly mixed stereo overhead track is created OR that the two separate mono overhead tracks are created.

You seem to have missed my point regarding TOMS. Most kits have more than one and a VERY popular trope in classic rock is to have the toms arranged so that playing across them walks across a chunk of the stereo image. I don't have any use for a stereo conversion of a mono tom track. I can use automation to pan such a movement BUT I shouldn't have to. In most situations these days each tom is miced so that mono files panned present no problem.

I've been mixing real drums from real drummers for over a decade and I usually receive a set up that has either 2 x mono or a stereo overhead. Top snare, bottom snare, 1x each tom, one of two kick tracks depending on the session, (some drummers like and in & out while others don't), hi hat, and 2x mono or 1x stereo ROOM track.

You writing about changing mono to stereo in the DAW etc. really makes little sense when a mono track is converted to two track mono it's less flexible than when just mono. You idea about exporting and incorporating toms in the overheads is interesting but convoluted and of no use in this situation, (let's face it good overheads would already have toms in them and in their proper kit position), where the overhead is one mono track.
You seem to have missed some of the key points whilst addressing others.
If musocity's extraction technique produces REAL stereo image files from the source then there's no problem other than BIAB/PG having missed an important element of stems. If musocity's method extracts two channel mono then the problem remains. I've yet to have success with the extraction method but stay tuned and THANKS for the good points you've added as well as bringing this to the attention of PG even if you've confused the issue with you MONO for mixer message.

Last edited by rayc; 12/19/23 03:14 PM.

Cheers
rayc
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Thanks guys i appreciate the clarity from those who have done this before. it helps me understand what is being ask.

Veteran
Veteran
The latest VST version is giving all the Stems with Stereo room & overheads:

[Linked Image - Only viewable when logged in]

rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I haven't bought 2024 yet...but that gives some hope.
I tried the new scripts and I'm one step closer...see attached images.

I tried an experiment with a different tsong & a new stem set - this one AltRockSlowSteady8ths^1-a has 15 stems so thought that PERHAPS it'd be a good chance.
Weirdly this set has OH1, OH2, OHRibbon amongst it's obsessive oversupply.
I tried the script and it has the same result as the image.
I then tried generating the files in the VST.
EVERY drum track but the mix comes out as mono. The three OH tracks differ only in tonality & level. I tried panning but they can't replicate a stereo image.
The Stereo Mix track has the crash cymbal on the left so is DEFINITELY in some form of stereo.
Script wise I'm making progress but BIAB wise I'm not getting anywhere but more perplexed. The Mix Engineers only get mono doesn't hold up when the ohs are variations on the same mono and can't be used to create stereo.
Maybe by Xmas?

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
1.36pm 201223.png (144.04 KB, 107 downloads)

Cheers
rayc
Veteran
Veteran
That's good you have it working now, you just need to install SWS Extensions to get it to set the 2 bar count-in without going into project settings.
I can't see the tracks as you have them set offline so uncheck that setting:

Veteran
Veteran
I tried the AltRockSlowSteady8ths^ and I got 4 stereo tracks at the end
Overhead
Overhead2
OverheadRibbon
Room
If I put on headphones I can hear stereo in the stereo tracks.
Try other variations or just drag n drop the source file into Reaper and play the different sections:

AltRockSlowSteady8ths^_85_OverheadRibbon.wav

rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
NEXT STEP,
Tried the "deselect" suggestion but received the same result...only MIDI data.
I tried another of the scripts and it gave me a bad argument message, and another time a poop up said that there was more than one frozen track and wouldn't proceed. I resave the BIAB song, reloaded it in the VST and the same thing happened. Well, the midi stuff is a great leap forward but having the files remain OFFLINE isn't quite useful...yet...
This is an interesting and educative process and I'm not tearing my hair out...hope you're not either.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
4.16pm.png (115.76 KB, 88 downloads)
Last edited by rayc; 12/19/23 11:21 PM.

Cheers
rayc
Veteran
Veteran
Try action
Item: Set all media online
Item: Set all media offline

Script: Import single frozen track or section SGU MGU to selected track.lua
will just import 1 frozen track or section to an existing track:

rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
That'll be tomorrow morning ...seems simple enough.
PHANQUE.

Cheers
rayc
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I was up early today so managed to get to the computer sooner than usual.
The "set all media online" thing was a complete bust.
Until it wasn't.
The day started with my G drive inexplicably being renamed H.
I edited the scripts to reflect this and upon selecting that action AFTER running the one that gave me midi info only.
The action box just hung there with nothing happening & the RUN box remaining blue outlined.
After a few goes I gave up & shut down Reaper.
I reopened so I could get an error message type snap and ran the scripts but this time I received a "can't find file" dialogue.
I was unable to find the 1st file (the mix one for the style) and left that offline then I was able to locate the next file ""unfound & bang all the rest were pulled up.
Stereo overheads x 3 and a stereo tom track.
SUCCESS.
I experimented with a quick mix based on the overhead image and saved everything for safety.
I have to say that the stereo files aren't VERY stereo - must have been a narrow placement BUT I am able to create a decent stereo image with this set of stems.
MUSOCITY - I knew you knew what you were doing - I just feared I didn't know enough to get there.
It took some fiddling and lots of guidance but at least one set of stems has been rendered USEFUL.
This also makes the case that BIAB/PG could and should facilitate this.

I'll pull up another project later today to see if it works elsewhere.
I'll report back...BUT, for the moment, I'm a happy chappy.

Cheers
rayc
Veteran
Veteran
That's great ! I'm glad you stuck with it and got it sorted. Once you have it all working it will make things so much easier.
You can load the BIab frozen SGU into any varying tempo map and it will automatically fit, so you can add BB tracks to any live recorded band session.
Once you get comfortable with the Reaper scripts there are others that will do so many things you can't do in Biab like instantly change an FX guitar to a DI guitar keeping the same riffs, you can write the chord names as Take Markers into the track and save the track as a template.
Reaper is a great companion for Biab whether you are using the new BBPlugin 6 importing tracks instantly or you prefer to work with the main Biab to build up your songs/tracks and instantly transfer to Reaper.
justanoldmuso prefers to use flac format in his Reaper projects, this allows you to set the file type to use so any Reaper compatible audio/video format that will work if you batch convert the RealTracks and Drums folders to add another format.
This way will also let you change the tracks to Video RealTracks/Drums if you have them.
I haven't look to see if any of the Video RealDrums have Stems now ?

rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I tried on another song today. It had a slight complication. When I reached the point where it couldn't find the files I realized it was looking for .WAV files not the WMA of BIAB. I searched for the wav files with no success...(I suppose BIAB creates them when it does the freeze but I couldn't locate where). Being lazy I dug up the WMA files, converted them to WAV, dropped in a folder & pointed to that. Worked a treat - though I only did a 16bit conversion...no real problem given the source.
Seems like I have a "workaround" in true BIAB fashion.
If the DAW VST has it sorted as you suggest it might, I'll see how that works in future.
I'll have to buy 2024 now.
AGAIN PHANQUE.

Cheers
rayc
Veteran
Veteran
It will load wma files if that's what you have, just set it at the top of the script:

file_type = ".wma" --{".wma",".wav",".m4a",".aiff",".flac",".mp3",".wv",".ogg"}

Reaper can batch convert your files to any compatible format you like then set the type in the script else just use wma.
There is also a script to create the reapeak files for whatever media type you are using so the tracks load instantly.

rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by musocity
It will load wma files if that's what you have, just set it at the top of the script:

file_type = ".wma" --{".wma",".wav",".m4a",".aiff",".flac",".mp3",".wv",".ogg"}

Reaper can batch convert your files to any compatible format you like then set the type in the script else just use wma.
There is also a script to create the reapeak files for whatever media type you are using so the tracks load instantly.
ah,
I have renewed respect for Reaper - all of the "open source" tweaking is embraced and makes things even better.
I'll have a crack at the file type change with my next song. At present I'm happily mixing & treating drum stems to address the VERY, VERY common BOING that appears in a majority of BIAB snare stems.
Thanks

Cheers
rayc
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,662
Posts735,550
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 167