Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
T
theBiz Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Upon upgrading from 2022 to 2024 I find multiple songs that had tracks frozen under the 2022 version that now have silence or missing sections, especially but not exclusively in the drums. They also will not regenerate when un-frozen. I've been working with support on this via email, but since they are not raising the alarm here I feel that I should. You might want to hold off on any upgrades until they fix this issue if you require access to your existing songs. This upgrade appears destructive. I haven't experienced this issue creating new songs completely under 2024, build 1104.

Veteran
Veteran
That is very strange, I have not experienced that. It tried to open a few from 2021, 22, 23. All seem to work fine. Once opened, frozen tracks were empty, but once I clicked regenerate, it populated waveforms and they do sound exactly as I left (saved) them.

Veteran
Veteran
I just tried 1104 and I get the missing tracks now that were in 2023.

T
theBiz Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Rustyspoon#
That is very strange, I have not experienced that. It tried to open a few from 2021, 22, 23. All seem to work fine. Once opened, frozen tracks were empty, but once I clicked regenerate, it populated waveforms and they do sound exactly as I left (saved) them.

Are you sure they are the same? If they were frozen and then you regenerated I would expect different music. What I want was the music I had frozen. Without that this is a big problem for me. Even then though, regeneration does not do anything in my case. These are generally files with style changes and/or multi-drums, but I can't say exclusively.

Veteran
Veteran
It is not about actual regeneration (I agree to what you said) I meant populating track(s) waveform image on new Track View for the track(s) that were not frozen. Sorry, I was not clear.
See video. I assume you are getting something else?

T
theBiz Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Here is an example of what happens when I open the songs. Large chunks just missing. I did find that if I show the wave form window first, rather than chord sheet, then one of these two does eventually fill in the drum track, and then it plays fine. Without the wave form window it doesn't. I tried that with the other one, but it still has issues with the drum track being out of sync. Perhaps a step closer though!

edit: If I wait after opening the file it seems like it is generating the tracks, and it takes some time, but it does play correctly on the second one. The first one also does eventually generate all the tracks, but there is about a 20-30 second lag before all tracks are available. If I play before that it never generates them, but if I let it 'warm up' then it seems to work. I'm not sure why a frozen track would require that, and I don't have faith that what it is regenerating is what was initially frozen. That's an issue to me.

I also still have the drum track out of sync in the first example, no matter how long I let it 'warm up'.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
690.jpg (169.61 KB, 219 downloads)
710.jpg (218.85 KB, 219 downloads)
Last edited by theBiz; 12/11/23 10:01 PM. Reason: additional info
Veteran
Veteran
The Biz,

I notice on the image that your Realtracks are N/A. Have you re-built Stylepicker. Also, when I get N/A displayed like it is in your images, I go into Realtrack picker (the old one, not Multipicker Library) and choose "Rebuild and Fix" at the bottom of the Realtrack picker's window. I usually get a message that says something like "nothing to fix" but it corrects the problem.

As Misha points out, it is necessary to regenerate songs that have frozen tracks (but don't unfreeze any tracks). Support have probably already told you the following. Just in case they haven't, though... It's also possible to regenerate individual frozen tracks and provided they are not unfrozen, they will regenerate the same track that was present when they were frozen. What freezing does it to keep a record of the timestamps of which parts of a Realtrack (or Realdrums or SuperMidi Track, etc.) were used. The timestamp record also keeps information on the length of order of the sections. This allows a track to be re-created.

Did you install 2024 over your previous version of BIAB or put it in its own folder?

Regards,
--Noel

I don't have lots of songs with frozen tracks, but I tried some SGU files that I knew had a track or two frozen from 8 - 10 years ago and they generated fine.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Expert
Expert
Nothing is destroyed, this warning is slightly exaggerated. All you have to do is wait for the patch while remaining "freeze" and nothing will be lost, if they manage to deal with multistyles.
Besides, this happens even with non-frozen tracks, just test with all the multistyles.
It's more of a multistyle problem than anything else. See this thread which also discusses multistyles.:

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=788368#Post788368

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
bug 2024 Biab Multipistes1.png (354.39 KB, 194 downloads)
bug 2024 Biab Multipistes2.png (304.87 KB, 194 downloads)

Biab Audiophile 2024 11.11, Win11
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Are you sure they are the same? If they were frozen and then you regenerated I would expect different music. What I want was the music I had frozen. Without that this is a big problem for me. Even then though, regeneration does not do anything in my case.

Tracks that were frozen in any previous version of Band-in-a-Box should play exactly same when opened in 2024, and they do in my testing. However, you need to actually HAVE the Drums and RealTracks that those frozen tracks used, otherwise there will just be silence (BiaB should issue a flash message letting you know).

The first thing I would do is as others mentioned, a rebuild in the StylePicker - this also rebuilds the Drums and RealTracks lists, and you can double-check your custom folder locations (if applicable) at the same time.

If you have a specific song(s) that is misbehaving, please send it to support or post a link to download it (e.g. dropbox). We can test it out and compare results with you. Make sure the song that you send is frozen.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Expert
Expert
Andrew, It's been several times that I have published photos of my multistyle readings compared 2023 and 2024. If I can read 2023 without problem and the tracks are not generated correctly in 2024 it is not because I lack RT, but rather that there is a problem with multistyles. THANKS.

bug 2024 Biab Multipistes1.png (354.39 KB, 137 downloads)
bug 2024 Biab Multipistes2.png (304.87 KB, 137 downloads)

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted by MoultiPass
Andrew, It's been several times that I have published photos of my multistyle readings compared 2023 and 2024. If I can read 2023 without problem and the tracks are not generated correctly in 2024 it is not because I lack RT, but rather that there is a problem with multistyles. THANKS.
Yes. There's definitely a problem with MultiStyles not generating.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Expert
Expert
Originellement posté par Charlie Fogle
Originellement posté par MoultiPass
Yes. There's definitely a problem with MultiStyles not generating.

1105 fixed that, it should be a problem with different batteries. Very satisfied, I even recreated this mulltistyle's example that you gave some time ago, dear Charlie, in Biab 2024 and he refused to continue, but that's fixed. THANKS.

Sans titre.png (178.88 KB, 123 downloads)

T
theBiz Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Noel96
The Biz,

I notice on the image that your Realtracks are N/A. Have you re-built Stylepicker. Also, when I get N/A displayed like it is in your images, I go into Realtrack picker (the old one, not Multipicker Library) and choose "Rebuild and Fix" at the bottom of the Realtrack picker's window. I usually get a message that says something like "nothing to fix" but it corrects the problem.

Did you install 2024 over your previous version of BIAB or put it in its own folder?

I tried the rebuild from style picker and got the same Nothing to do! message. I also hit the regenerate button for the song, but still end up with half the drum track missing.

I installed 2024 on top of 2022.

710-2.jpg (219.36 KB, 105 downloads)
Last edited by theBiz; 12/13/23 09:53 AM. Reason: more info
Expert
Expert
You should try to unfreeze your Drums track, and generate it. Just to see if it generates to the end, without saving if you fear something, but at least you will know if everything works.

T
theBiz Offline OP
OP Offline
T
If I unfreeze and regenerate it does generate the entire length properly. It's strange, what I reported before about being sensitive to time before playing (warm up) and whether I'm in chord view or track view. Track view and allowing time between opening the song file and hitting play seem to correlate with it working as expected. As soon as I hit play though, it stops generating the drum (and sometimes other) part (as I watch it in the Tracks window). This is one of the reasons I freeze tracks, so I don't have to wait for generation and can play quickly.

On the song where the drums are out of sync, unfreezing and regenerating does not make any difference. Drums remain out of sync, as if they started playing a half measure too late or are at a slightly different tempo. The particular song uses 3 style changes, but not a multistyle. It's also sensitive to where I start playback. If it is at the start of the second section, it plays fine. If it's anywhere else after the end of the first section then sync problems. Nothing I do lets me play back this song as expected. It has been rendered completely unusable after the upgrade.

T
theBiz Offline OP
OP Offline
T

Expert
Expert
I can see the problem, it's really weird. Maybe reinstall your RD but I only half believe it.
Another idea: completely re-enter your pieces since you have all the elements in memo - Bar summary.
I can clearly see the slight shift which begins after measure 45. But otherwise they generate perfectly well, I remain permanently in track view, and I did not notice your concern about "preheating" time, it responds perfectly.
Maybe could you send your tracks to Support@pgmusic.com if they have time to analyze them?I don't see anything in the entry that could cause a problem but there may still be a piece of 2023 code that went wrong.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Thank you for sending the files. We're looking into this.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
theBiz,

We have a patch (build 1106) in Pre-release testing that fixes the issues you're seeing there.
https://update.pgmusic.com/support/patch/bb2024_win_update_build1106.exe

This patch is still in pre-release testing for a couple of days, but if you have any trouble with it you could install the previous patch.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
T
theBiz Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks Andrew. I installed the 1106 build and tested out the two files.

For the first one, I tried quickly starting playback mid-song after loading the file. The drums were missing for about two beats, but then came in and were as expected. I quickly switched to the tracks window and saw the drums still generating the waveform, and it did fully complete. This seems to have fixed the issue where starting playback stopped the generation. That kind of slight delay I can deal with, especially when it does fully generate all the tracks. I would consider this issue fixed.

For the second one, I started off in the tracks window and saw that all four style sections appeared fully generated. Starting playback in locations beyond the first measure of the style now appear to correctly sync the drum track. I would consider this issue fixed as well.

I appreciate the prompt attention to supporting and correcting these issues, and I feel like I can now fully enjoy the benefits of the 2024 version. Thank you, and keep up the great work.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,642
Posts735,383
Members38,525
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 183
DC Ron 101
dcuny 89
DrDan 70
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.