Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Bob, Dave, Marty and Brain,

Thanks for letting David C be answered first.
But your waiting is now rewarded!
Althoug waiting...?
I don't think anyone has been sitting still.
A lot of work must have gone into listening and responding to all the new songs added to this forum.
And all this, while you were eagerly awaiting my response.

Bob, thanks again for listening to this song of mine. And also for your nice compliments.
I like your use of the word 'usual' here!

Originally Posted by rsdean
Hans,
Excellent song and excellent vocal... Love the arrangement and mix. Your usual high standard all around.
Bob

Dave, thanks for this very nice response!
I showed it to my sons, but I don't see any hopeful signs that they are being impressed...
But you do! And that's much better for me!

Originally Posted by BlueAttitude
You are a very good songwriter, Hans, and this is no exception.
Excellent vocal as per usual, also nice job on the production.
Also thought you did a decent job on the video, well done!

Best to you and yours for Christmas!

Marty, my most loyal listener! Thanks again for your beautiful response!
I must make one comment; Did you look closely at the first image in my video and did it lead you to the conclusion that God is a she (because actually I used a 'she' there)? Or did you already know that?
We'll discuss that later when you visit me (not God). And when I was finnishing the video I saw a movie from that little kitten. I thought he was dying, but then I saw the mother cat dragging him out of frame.
I liked that as an ending

Originally Posted by BabuMusic
Cool video! God told me herself that she sees plenty of harmony in the air --right there in your wonderful song.
I really like the composition. Lyrics as only you could produce, and vocals that soar from a golden throat, harmony to please the gods. Cool progression too, and I like how you accent the 3rd and 4th bets occasionally.
And, of course, the ending is the cat's meow.

Brain, master of video and AI (in my opinion), thanks for your very nice words.
One day we must make a song with your AI-girls and me making some kind of Blues...

Originally Posted by B.D.Thomas
Cool song idea and good lyrics. I definitely agree with your lyrics, Hans.
I like the song [Linked Image - Only viewable when logged in]
And the video was pretty cool too! Good work here too.

I wish you all a nice time and especially a good 2024!
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hello Hans
Excellent song
Great sound, great melody, great singing and playing.
The background track is excellent
You put so many details into the song
But everything makes sense and moves the song forward
This is really great work Hans
Also the video is very well done, make more videos to your songs. it will be worth it
Wishing you and your loved ones a Merry Christmas
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Noel, Floyd and Jannesan

You all gave me a very nice present with your wonderful responses. Thanks!

Noel, that tipping to your hat stayed in my mind. Very nice.
I fantasized what I would do if I were that creator and in the same way you asked "where is God". You do that automatically, I thought.
Probably not.
Of course I am curious how forum members would react to this song/ video, but on the other hand this is not the place for a deep discussion on it.
It's better to have a discussion about the musical or instrumental choises and that sort of things.
In that respect it is nice to read that I have done well. Thanks for that.

Originally Posted by Noel96
Hi Hans.
I love this groove and the way that you used it. I tip my proverbial hat to you. You've created a really fine song.
Writing a lyric where God is in first person really grabs a listener's attention.

I sympathise with your lyrics. When I look around the world and see so much greed, so many people recklessly hating and hurting other people, and ecological environments everywhere collapsing because of mankind's impact on nature, it's very easy to wonder, "Where is God?"

You've told a really good story and you've done it with musical expertise smile
All the very best to you,
--Noel

Floyd, it's nice to hear from you again. And in what way...! Thanks for your compliments!
Also about that (first) video. Feels really good.

Originally Posted by floyd jane
Hans,
An interesting song idea. Nicely done.
You sing with passion.
The BAND is excellent. Nice mix.
You did a nice job on the video.

fj

Janne, Very lovely words from you. Thanks!
I start with the cats. No they are not mine. I have 2 black cats, a mother and daughter (the only survivor of 5. And two visitor cats who like to join the meals...
That part of the movie was about that kitten. I thought it was dying, but the film turned out to be longer than the piece I used. In that other part a mother cat came into view and dragged the little one out. I liked that more.
And I added the 'meoww' sound.
The story: There is some reference to that 'help me' you wrote about. It is in the part where I (the God) asked for signs. But I haven't thought to ask for help verbally, because I am the supreme being myself!
I haven't been to Eden, have you? ;-) , but no, don't allow people to come there!

Originally Posted by jannesan
With a cool funky rhythm and your strong vocals nothing can go wrong smile Interesting angle, I can recall only couple of songs from this point of view. You have told the idea well, I can feel God's desperation. Naybe I have added 'please help me' line in the end, although I think Eden is still a stunning place, hopefully humans will never get back there to ruin it too...

Thanks for the cats in the video, are they yours? Every video should have at least one cat laugh Happy holidays and very creative new year 2024!

Janne

Thanks for the Christmas wishes. I wish you the same and let's continue making music in 2024!
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi David, 

I’m so glad you made it home again from your visit to me. Few do. 
But sadly you missed the point in our conversation; maybe Hans is a bit down too, but his song was about me and how I feel nowadays.
I thought you understood that, but apparently you didn't.
I also hoped you, with all your expertise, would have told Hans what you think of the song itself, the technical aspects, the melody, the chosen instruments etcetera.

So, you can understand I'm a little disappointed about that. However, I really think you're a really nice and so creative chap. A bit like Hans.
Why don't you make a song together for or about me? Let me know what you think of that.

Here is what you really must do, David; tell Hans you're sorry you made a mistake about whose emotions were involved in the song, and also that you neglected to mention what you thought of the song itself. Then give him a kiss on his cheek and whisper in his ear what a marvelous song and video he created. 
After that, you are welcome back anytime!

ALL ME

Originally Posted by David Snyder
Hans,
I was just speaking with God a few minutes ago and He told me to tell you how much He loves you and He's giving you a big hug from afar.
He said He listened to your song and He's sorry that you're so down in the dumps here at Christmas time, but that he loves you anyway and knows that you're one heck of a nice guy.

He said He's just sending some super hugs from heaven and hoping that you have a very very Merry wonderful and fantastic Christmas with your family and that one day He'll see you soon and He'll give you a big old fat kiss on the cheek and just tell you how much he loves you, and He will have His big Godly arms wrapped around you, and can't wait till you can come visit him in heaven, cuz you're one heck of a guy.

Also He said to tell you to cheer up a little bit and go have a beer or something cuz it's not that bad.
He said beer is proof that God loves you and wants you to be happy.

Happy holidays!!:)

You too and let's meet again in 2024!

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Scott,

Thanks for writing this post! And I'm glad you liked that line in particular.
I thought it to be the sentence a lot of people would disagree on.

Originally Posted by Ezekiel's Storm
Nice work on creating the melody. Singing is strong too. The balance in the mix sounds perfect.

My favorite line: "All I ever asked is misled/by false preachers of heaven and hell."

A happy 2024!
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Andi,

Well, I do like what you wrote about this song. Now I have a big smile on my face!!!
It is my intention to make more videos. But I wasn't sure I could make them.
That feeling is now diminishing, because all the reactions I received to this one and another were very positive.

Originally Posted by PROJECT M
Hello Hans
Excellent song
Great sound, great melody, great singing and playing.
The background track is excellent
You put so many details into the song
But everything makes sense and moves the song forward
This is really great work Hans
Also the video is very well done, make more videos to your songs. it will be worth it
Wishing you and your loved ones a Merry Christmas
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

Andi, I wish you the same in return!
And special greetings to 'Wollie'

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Cool one Hans,
I did think the stops needed to be more dramatic though - it is a drama filled narrative after all. A tiny bit of delay or slight rise in volume at the point of the stops might work.
Gentle disco.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Good clean sound there, Hans.
I hope Santa doesn't get lost.

Vic

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I have listened to this multiple times - my thoughts are below. I recognise the time, effort and talent you have put into this. Sorry if you feel any of the negative comments are harsh or unjustified. Thanks a lot for posting the song.
Date: 25/12/2023
System: Mackie Studio monitors
--------------------------------------------------
Genre 70s Pop
Duration 4 40
Overall impression
A lot of time and effort has clearly gone into this in terms of both the composition and the production.
I’m guessing that English is not your first language Hans, which makes this a very creditworthy lyric. It also explains the slight anomalies of word and line stress which occur from time to time.
Song (musical structure, melody, lyric, …)
Nice simple melody and chord progressions which flow nicely, particularly in verse section.
Ambitious lyrical theme.
Instrumentation
The guitars should be mentioned – not flashy but very effective in the context of the song. Are they played or generated?
All the patches are well chosen

Mix / Production
Good use of l/r spectrum giving the track a nice full sound
What I really liked
Cool 70s pop style groove
What could be improved
Singing not always accurate in terms of pitch (1:01)
I’m finding the track a little too long (but then again I invariably do) – maybe one ‘I thought the earth…’ sections too many in this one.
Well done on putting the video together!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Awesome tune Hans. Excellent vocal and message in the lyrics. Happy New Year...

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Hans,
Strong composition. Good vocals and clear mix. I guess lyrics might seem controversial to some, I don't judge. Interesting phrase structure and performed well.
Good mix and listens well.
Happy New Year to you. (well... happier... I hope)
Misha.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This reminds us of our many musings on “why” so many awful things happen to innocent children. The video was very good in accentuating the lyric and the kitten and cat and meow at the end were very effective.

The mix sounds excellent on our monitors.

Enjoyed the song and vid!

Our best to you and yours during the holidays!
J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hello Ray, Vic, Marc, Scott, Misha, Janice and Bud,

Although I am late with my reaction (some kind of holiday break causing a lot of work...), I won't let you down.
You have all sent me such nice comments on this 'God' song, so many thanks for this!

Originally Posted by rayc
Cool one Hans,
I did think the stops needed to be more dramatic though - it is a drama filled narrative after all. A tiny bit of delay or slight rise in volume at the point of the stops might work.
Gentle disco.

Ray, during my break, I thought about your 'stops'. I still don't know if longer stops would have increased drama. Also because of the effect in the video...
But I certainly will try it out on another dramatic song and, looking at the state of our earth, such a song will come soon enough. Thanks!

Originally Posted by vicarn
Good clean sound there, Hans.
I hope Santa doesn't get lost.
Vic

Vic, I think he already is. I just heard a whisper he ain't coming for next Christmas...

Originally Posted by mglinert
I have listened to this multiple times - my thoughts are below. I recognise the time, effort and talent you have put into this. Sorry if you feel any of the negative comments are harsh or unjustified. Thanks a lot for posting the song.
Date: 25/12/2023
System: Mackie Studio monitors
--------------------------------------------------
Genre 70s Pop
Duration 4 40
Overall impression
A lot of time and effort has clearly gone into this in terms of both the composition and the production.
I’m guessing that English is not your first language Hans, which makes this a very creditworthy lyric. It also explains the slight anomalies of word and line stress which occur from time to time.

Song (musical structure, melody, lyric, …)
Nice simple melody and chord progressions which flow nicely, particularly in verse section.
Ambitious lyrical theme.

Instrumentation
The guitars should be mentioned – not flashy but very effective in the context of the song. Are they played or generated?
All the patches are well chosen

Mix / Production
Good use of l/r spectrum giving the track a nice full sound
What I really liked
Cool 70s pop style groove
What could be improved
Singing not always accurate in terms of pitch (1:01)
I’m finding the track a little too long (but then again I invariably do) – maybe one ‘I thought the earth…’ sections too many in this one.
Well done on putting the video together!

Hi Marc, thanks a lot for your documented view on the song and the singer as well as all the compliments!
To start with the last one: No, English isn't my native language, but I liked singing in it. I'm always working on better lyrics, pronoucation and whatever.
In this song, the tiny mistake I am aware of is somewhere in the beginning of the song where I sang 'an' instead of 'a'.
But if I had more odd things in my lyrics, i am happy to here them. That helps me too.
About the pitch in my vocals; I never use pitch correction, although I have a lot of software to correct wrong pitches.
I think the natural sound is nicer, unless it sounds false.

About the instruments and the during of the song:
All instruments are generated, not only in BiaB, but also in Logic or Native Instruments (or alike).
...Ray argued I had to add more stops to increase the drama. That would make the song longer....
In this song I had to tell a story. From the beginning of creating the world to what people did with it.
And I had to be careful not to offend people needlessly. That made this song a bit too long, if 3 minutes is considered long enough.
Thanks again for this comment, Marc!

Originally Posted by Scott C
Awesome tune Hans. Excellent vocal and message in the lyrics. Happy New Year...

Scott, thanks for everything, including the 'happy' wish. I used it for my birthday...

Originally Posted by Rustyspoon#
Hans,
Strong composition. Good vocals and clear mix. I guess lyrics might seem controversial to some, I don't judge. Interesting phrase structure and performed well.
Good mix and listens well.
Happy New Year to you. (well... happier... I hope)
Misha.

Misha, thanks for your nice comment. Yes, of course i knew it could be seen as a 'controversial' song.
On the other hand, if you were the GREAT designer, how would you think of everything?
But thanks a lot for your very nice compliments!

Originally Posted by Janice & Bud
This reminds us of our many musings on “why” so many awful things happen to innocent children. The video was very good in accentuating the lyric and the kitten and cat and meow at the end were very effective.
The mix sounds excellent on our monitors.
Enjoyed the song and vid!

Our best to you and yours during the holidays!
J&B

Janice and Bud, there are a lot troubling things happening to a lot of people. Of course you feel more pain or agony when children are involved...
When I made this video, I had that clip of the kitten and I thought it was dying. I had shortened the clip without seeing all of it.
So, when I saw the full clip I was relieved the kitten did not die, but was dragged out of the screen. I decided to keep that part and added that meow on the audiotrack.
And I'm happy you enjoyed that part too!

Thanks everyone and let's enjoy this year!
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,643
Posts735,393
Members38,525
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking
38,525 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 183
DC Ron 101
dcuny 89
rsdean 71
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.