Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
When the Generate and Play transport button is selected Band-in-a-Box performs two tasks, track generation and transport playback. My suggestion is to add a checkbox preference that modifies the Generate and Play transport button action by removing transport playback from the button. When the checkbox is enabled a user will select the Generate and Play button for track generation and the Play button for transport playback.

Background:
Older, slower computers that do not have much available random access memory, or ram, can cause the Band-in-a-Box program to become overwhelmed and unresponsive to the point the program stops.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Clipboard06.jpg (80.01 KB, 181 downloads)
Add checkbox in red square to modify the behavior of the Generate & Play transport button

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
Some sort of Step By Step button???

Biab Audiophile 2024 11.11, Win11
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Jim,
I will try to briefly analyze your request. Average computer replacement statistically happens every 4-5 years. Let's double that. My 10 (!) Year old backup/testing Thinkpad is i7 multicore with 16gb modest ram. The only non original part is a 512 gb SSD that sells for around $35 now. BIAB runs absolutely fine on that decade old machine.

So in your request....what kind of computer are you talking about that would need that feature?

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Everything seems to be geared once you regen/generate it will start playing, I find this annoying. Can't the user hit play when they want from where they want ?
In the MultiPicker when you hit generate it generates then plays.
When making scripts I had to send a Stop command directly after to stop it.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by MoultiPass
Some sort of Step By Step button???

No, I'm not asking for a step-by-step button but I understand why you may think so. From left to right the new transport controls are: play, generate and play, pause, stop, loop and record.

Every transport button tells Band-in-a-Box to perform one task. The exception is the generate and play button. As the name implies the generate and play button instructs Band-in-a-Box to (1) generate all tracks and (2) start playback. My proposal is to add a user preference checkbox that disables playback from the generate and play button. That way a user can select the generate and play button to (1) generate all tracks and select the play button to (2) start playback.

RustySpoon#
So in your request....what kind of computer are you talking about that would need that feature?
2007 Dell Laptop: i3 cpu, 8GB ram, 500GB HDD.

Musocity, My suggestion is specifically directed at the user having the capability to change the operation of one transport button. However, your thought mirrors mine in one respect, I am suggesting a user should have the capability to separate the generate and playback tasks.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Clipboard01.jpg (3.05 KB, 141 downloads)
New Transport Controls
Clipboard02.jpg (7.87 KB, 141 downloads)
Original Transport Controls

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
+1
Have a global option any "Generate" anywhere will do exactly that only, Generate and not start playing unless I want it to.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Jim,
"Every transport button tells Band-in-a-Box to perform one task."
Not really. You are forgetting the Play button.

Let's assume we get that option, how it will interact with Play button that does auto-regeneration as it "senses" changes in composition and regenerates all non frozen tracks automatically.

P.S. time to upgrade laptop? I keep an older PC for guests to browse internet, check email, etc. if they are staying over, but for music making, even for forgiving BIAB, i3/8ram is pretty weak.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
You would want it to generate if something has been changed (and you did not generate manually) when you press play, but it should not have to automatically start play just because you have generated a section or track.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Jim.

You probably know this already. I apologise if that's the situation. Just in case you don't, though...

For various reasons that still exist today, there have been many times over the years that I have required BIAB to fully generate the Realtracks/Realdrums before they started playing. This can be achieved, but not exactly in the way that you would like. Maybe it will do the job that you're after, though. When Realtracks/Realdrums were starting to grow very popular (many years ago), PG Music included this option to accommodate slower computers.

• There is a setting in Realtrack Preferences (Options >> Preferences >> Realtracks) called "Speed up generation of Realtracks".

What this setting does is that it forces BIAB to generate the tracks fully before playback starts. So if you activate this option, when you hear playback start, you can be assured that Realtrack/Realdrum generations are complete. (This is the same process that Realband uses.)

As you have pointed out, BIAB's normal process involves starting playback when RT/RD generations are only partially done. BIAB then continues generating the tracks in the background while playback occurs. For modern computers, handling generation and playback at the same time is not a problem. For older computers, though, they can struggle.

• The "Options >> Preferences >> Realtracks" option is the global override and if you set it here, every song will generate fully before playback starts.

• If you only want to engage full generation before playback starts on a song-by-song basis, then it can be activated using "Song Settings" and selecting "This song has playback problems, disable Fast Generation." This setting saves with each song.

I hope this is useful information for you and that it helps.
--Noel

★ my latest song: The Best Gift Of All (Thank You, Mama) – vocals by Synthesizer V

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
L
Apprentice
Apprentice
L
I'd also like the option to disable playback from the previous bar. It becomes annoying when you have to regenerate something many times to find something suitable.
As much as I love BIAB, I can't for the life of me figure out the logic of making everything so unnecessarily difficult and time consuming.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Minus 1 from me. Generate and Play Button by design, function and name does exactly as it's designed, function's and named. Computer ownership isn't a PG Music problem. Having to send annoying stop commands to Reaper scripts isn't a PG Music problem. At some point, users, new and old alike need to at least use something in BIAB as it's designed, functions and named.

I've tested and a workaround to this grave issue is to press Generate and Play as normal but follow Musocity's protocol and hit the Stop Button before playing starts. Jim's wish is only pertinent when a user wants to pause and separate generation from playing. Adding a Stop to the normal sequence of generate and play works flawlessly.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
You have to play it after generation, or you don't know what you generated. Use the Mpicker and double click away and when you have what you want stop. If you are doing partial regen, the same applied you have to hear the results or you are flying blind why would you want to generate and not play?

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Rob,
"you are flying blind why would you want to generate and not play?"
That is exactly what tripped me in this request.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
I think we are asking for an "option" in users preferences, as in user preferred method, not a hard coded forced one way or the other method.
If it plays automatically how long do you have to let it play for ? do you sit back and wait until it's finished and plays all the way through ? is that what it wants you to do ? should the user be allowed to have control over it like you can now with Riff Edit ? or is destructive audio editing and wav creating a better way ? you now have an option to use Riff Edit or the old way to render to 32 bit wav files attached to the SGU.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted by Rustyspoon#
Rob,
"you are flying blind why would you want to generate and not play?"
That is exactly what tripped me in this request.
Me too.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<< I think we are asking for an "option" in users preferences, as in user preferred method, not a hard coded forced one way or the other method. >>
Why would you opt to generate and not hear what you've created? See RS, Rob, and my question.

<< If it plays automatically how long do you have to let it play for ? >>
You don't have to let it play. Stop and nothing plays. But why? What's the benefit of not hearing what you've intentionally created?

<< do you sit back and wait until it's finished and plays all the way through ? is that what it wants you to do ? >>
Sure, it that's what you want. Suppose you've created a track that's everything you could wish for except for a single measure. At that point, regen what's necessary and then listen seems logical, right?

<< should the user be allowed to have control over it like you can now with Riff Edit ? >>
A user has complete control. Auto starts, user manually stops.

<< or is destructive audio editing and wav creating a better way ? >>
Creating WAVs is what BIAB does. Post editing, regenerations are just that, post generation tasks. Think of multi-riffs and partial regeneration and regeneration as overdubs or punch-ins over recorded audio in a DAW.

<< you now have an option to use Riff Edit or the old way to render to 32 bit wav files attached to the SGU. >>

There you go. You nailed it.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by Charlie Fogle
<< you now have an option to use Riff Edit or the old way to render to 32 bit wav files attached to the SGU. >>

There you go. You nailed it.
I know, OPTION.

I change a chord on 198 for a simple strumming guitar track, it is mandatory that it has to start playing from the start and is it mandatory that I have to listen to the same strumming pattern all the way to 198 ? is there any way on earth that i can be the one to decide WHEN and WHERE to play it from ? or has Biab predicted what I want to do and does it ?
I have a usertrack and I want to add the holds in I don't need it to play as I have to adjust the timing after I have put them all in, ONLY then do I want it to play from where I want to listen to them.
Think outside the box you live in: "OPTION", It has to develop, it has to advance, it can't be held back in the 90's, come up with new ways, don't enforce old ways, allow users to have different work flows, options.

[Linked Image - Only viewable when logged in]

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Musocity, you're another example of molding BIAB to your workflow instead of adjusting your workflow to how BIAB operates.

The way you made the change in your demonstration does go back to Bar 1 and starts.

However,

when doing it that way, regenerate and the screen goes to Bar 1, pause play, scroll to bar 198 and hit the spacebar to play from 198.

Alternately,

you can change bar 198, Select the play from bar icon in the Transport Toolbar, input bar 198 and play will begin at bar 198.

or,

Change the chord in Bar 198 and move the curser back a few bars and double click and play will begin. There you go - Options.

So,

It is not mandatory to start playing from the start and it is not mandatory that you have to listen to the same strumming pattern all the way to 198.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
"Alternately,

you can change bar 198, Select the play from bar icon in the Transport Toolbar, input bar 198 and play will begin at bar 198."

So in other words we are not allowed to have an "option" and we must do it this way when hitting Generate button.
If they do make an "option" how will this affect you ? will it be bad that you can't enforce users to do everything how you do it ? As I said you have Riff Edit that you are by no means forced to use as you can still render to wav and destructively edit, we can't go back now and remove Riff Edit, Tracks view and Multipicker as you can still just use the Audio Edit window and the destructive FX. You can go into the images folder and blank out the Tracks icon. If they keep the old pickers you can go into images also and blank out the MultiPicker icon, just add a smiley face icon or something on them, let me know and I can do them up for you.
I can make up an old BB2007 skin for old users and a new modern skin for new users.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
While I applaud Jim's wish for one button doing one thing, I think Noel gave the answer a while ago. For those much older computers, assuming they run BIAB at all, then just disable the Fast Generation of RealTracks. In effect, this accommodates the request. The program churns away at regenerating the entire track before it begins to play anything. The requirements of the CPU and RAM are not unduly stressed since the processes have been separated.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,702
Posts736,189
Members38,546
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
John Hunt, Oraus, KlaasB, Sid S, Uncle Hemi
38,546 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 181