Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#793793 01/04/24 03:42 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
DC Ron Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I've done this a bazillion times but now just can't. I have a song in my DAW consisting of vocals and BiaB backing tracks, including a 2-bar count in. I now want to import the vocal .WAV file into BiaB so I can better edit the backing tracks. I import the .WAV vocal track to chorus 1, bar -1, beat 1, but the vocals are behind a beat or so. I can re-import the BiaB backing track files into the DAW and they are in sync with the vocals. But I can't import the same vocals into BiaB.

Know this is something stupid I'm just doing wrong, and have my dunce cap standing by.

THANKS in advance for any assist!

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
StudioCat DAW dual screen
Presonus Faderport 16
Too many guitars (is that a thing?)
DC Ron #793796 01/04/24 03:53 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Ron, I don't think you are a dunce. You just have a bad workflow. grin

Files go from BIAB to your DAW. NOT from your DAW to BIAB. crazy

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

DC Ron #793808 01/04/24 04:48 PM
DC Ron Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
DrDan, well, in prior years you would be correct. But since I want to CHANGE my workflow (which is currently the one you suggest) so that I do MORE in BiaB and LESS in my DAW, THEN...I'd like to try it with an existing song. Frankly, the new features in BiaB are exciting enough to make me want to try a different workflow, and it's been a long, LONG time since that's happened...

So I'll gladly engage the joke responses to get there.

My dunce cap is still at the ready, but not because I shouldn't be exploring a new workflow...

Ha!(?)

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
DC Ron #793834 01/04/24 05:39 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by DC Ron
DrDan, well, in prior years you would be correct. But since I want to CHANGE my workflow (which is currently the one you suggest) so that I do MORE in BiaB and LESS in my DAW, THEN...I'd like to try it with an existing song. Frankly, the new features in BiaB are exciting enough to make me want to try a different workflow, and it's been a long, LONG time since that's happened...

So I'll gladly engage the joke responses to get there.

My dunce cap is still at the ready, but not because I shouldn't be exploring a new workflow...

Ha!(?)
Hi Ron,

Since BIAB began allowing for the partial regeneration of Realtracks, I also import the vocal into BIAB and use partial regeneration to create better realtracks that sit more comfortably with the vocal line. It's brilliant. In the past, I used to do a heap of work in the DAW. Now, I just send a rough instrumental track to the DAW so that I can prepare the vocals. Then, when I have the vocals sitting reasonably well, I put them into BIAB and refine things there. Then I send the final tracks to the DAW for polishing. It's a much quicker workflow to do it this way.

When you import the vocal into your DAW, you may need to time shift since BIAB has two count in bars. I have Reaper set so that it has two blank bars and matches BIAB. When you come to the menu that gives you the import locations, click on "Reset to zero" so that the audio is imported to bar 1.

Regards,
--Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
DC Ron #793837 01/04/24 05:52 PM
DC Ron Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi, Noel! Yes, your workflow is exactly what I'm trying for. "Brilliant" is my objective.

Since I've incorporated the two bar BiaB count in to my DAW vocal track (which is synced with imported BiaB tracks), my BiaB import settings SHOULD be chorus 1, bar -1 (bar -1 is the first bar of the count in, bar 0 is the 2nd bar) and beat 1. But this isn't working. The vocals are coming in about a beat late. I've also "reset to zero" in addition to countless other combinations of bars and beats over the last couple of hours.

Like I said, it's something stupid. I'm just too stupid to figure out what.

THANK YOU for the workflow input and help!

Ron

Last edited by DC Ron; 01/04/24 06:36 PM.

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
DC Ron #793855 01/04/24 07:10 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Ron,

For the song in question, do the vocals begin before, on or after beat 1 of bar 1 (bar 1 is the one that immediately follows the count-in). If you have a look at the audio track in the Audio Edit window, you will be able to see the timing of the audio file in relation to BIAB's bars. Also, have you set BIAB time signature and tempo to exactly match the DAW in which the vocal was recorded?

--Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Noel96 #793862 01/04/24 07:36 PM
DC Ron Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted by Noel96
Ron,

For the song in question, do the vocals begin before, on or after beat 1 of bar 1 (bar 1 is the one that immediately follows the count-in). If you have a look at the audio track in the Audio Edit window, you will be able to see the timing of the audio file in relation to BIAB's bars. Also, have you set BIAB time signature and tempo to exactly match the DAW in which the vocal was recorded?

--Noel

Noel, the vocal track starts with bar -1, the first beat of the BiaB count in. The actual vocal comes in about bar 10. Yes, BiaB has the same time signature (4/4) and tempo (118 BPM) as the DAW. The confounding part to me is the BiaB tracks import to the DAW perfectly, and sync with the vocal track, but the vocal track will not import to BiaB. Like I said, it's a stupid mistake on my part, and I'm just too stupid to solve it...

THANK YOU for the response!

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
DC Ron #793866 01/04/24 07:57 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Noel! Yes, your workflow is exactly what I'm trying for. "Brilliant" is my objective.

I've found that I'm getting better results now. In the past, I copied and pasted sections of track in Reaper to make corrections to a the track. Now with partial regeneration, I can try numerous possibilities before settling on the one that I like best. Regeneration also makes it possible to find suits instrumental riffs that have potential to be used as a instrumental hooks. Partial regeneration and working with the vocal in BIAB has unleashed a whole new world of possibilities.

This is just my 2¢ worth smile I'm sure that other people will do things differently.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
DC Ron #793876 01/04/24 08:27 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Noel, the vocal track starts with bar -1, the first beat of the BiaB count in. The actual vocal comes in about bar 10. Yes, BiaB has the same time signature (4/4) and tempo (118 BPM) as the DAW. The confounding part to me is the BiaB tracks import to the DAW perfectly, and sync with the vocal track, but the vocal track will not import to BiaB. Like I said, it's a stupid mistake on my part, and I'm just too stupid to solve it...

THANK YOU for the response!
Ron,

I guessing here so I might be wrong. From the above information, though, it sounds like you might have started recording the vocal a bar or so before you started singing. If the recording had started at bar -1, it should line up with BIAB as it would have 10 bars of recording with no sound.

I just loaded a vocal created with Synth V that starts two bars before the 4-bar introduction. This means that my vocal recording has 6 bars of blank recording (the vocal starts on beat 1 of bar 5 in BIAB. Allowing for BIAB's bars -1 and 0 (count-in), I need to import my vocal at CHORUS 1 (since I use a single chorus, linear layout), Bar -1, Beat 1.

[Linked Image - Only viewable when logged in]

If I had started recording at Bar 6, though. This means that I haven't allowed for BIAB's count-in bars nor the introduction, then I would need to import the vocal to...

CHORUS# = 1
BAR# = 6
BEAT# = 1

What I suggest you do is to load the vocal into the Audio Track and then have a look at it in "Audio Edit". You will be able to see how it lines up. You will also be able adjust the track by inserting silence or cutting blank space.

Page 247 of the user manuat has a detailed explanation of Audio Edit and how to use it.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
DC Ron #793928 01/05/24 01:55 AM
DC Ron Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Noel, since my vocal audio track starts at the same time as the count in, it should import correctly with exactly the same 1 -1 1 0 import settings you show. But it does not. Know I can move the audio around manually, but...I'd like to put more time into getting the import function to work correctly first.

Have also tried dozen of other import settings with no improvement.

Anyway, THANKS again for thinking about this with me. Helps a lot!

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
DC Ron #793931 01/05/24 02:08 AM
DC Ron Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Update: Tried to import vocals into another BiaB file using the same steps and it worked perfectly. Still can't figure out what I'm doing wrong on this particular song though...

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
DC Ron #793934 01/05/24 02:34 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Ron,

When the faulty vocal is loaded, did you have a look in the Audio Edit window? You'll be able to see what the problem is by where the wave visually sits.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
DC Ron #793937 01/05/24 02:49 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Ron,

My vocals just loaded in 2 bars too late, as well. They worked fine earlier in the day now, though, they're late. I'll report it to the development team.

You should be able to use Audio Edit to adjust the wav so that it sits where you want it. The process will be a variation of the below process that I used to move my wav 2 bars to the left.

1) Import the wav file.

2) Select Audio Edit.

3) When in Audio Edit, click on "Snap" (#1 on the image).

4) Make sure Audio is selectect (#2).

5) I need to delete 2 bars to bring everything into alignment, so I select 2 bars where no sound wave is present by dragging the mouse (#3).

6) Under the "Edit" menu (#4), I then select "Delete" and blank bars will be removed and the audio is brought forward 2 bars.

[Linked Image - Only viewable when logged in]

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
DC Ron #793946 01/05/24 03:40 AM
DC Ron Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Noel, yes, I can see the timing offset. It is delayed about a beat though I didn't measure it. Thanks for the detailed example of how to shift the vocal track by deleting empty space. Need to take a break but will try that out in a while. Thanks AGAIN for all the advice!! Ron

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
DC Ron #793951 01/05/24 04:13 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Ron,

With "snap" on, when you drag a selection it will lock to 1/4 of a beat (i.e. 1/16th notes) in EV time sigs and 1/3 of a beat (i.e. a triplet 1/8th note) in SW time sigs. That might help. If you need to work with fractions of a beat, click the snap off. If you want to zoom in or out, use the scroll wheel on the mouse. By clicking on the region where the wav image is located, you will set the position of a red vertical cursor. By zooming in and using this cursor, you will be able to more accurately gauge how far out of position the wav is.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
DC Ron #793966 01/05/24 05:25 AM
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Ron and others that run into this issue, BIAB has a feature to align audio in the Audio Edit Window. Place the Red Curser where you want the first beat of the audio to be, Rt. Click anywhere and select 'Mark this as bar 1 ... '

This aligns the curser and the audio beat one correctly.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Bar One.jpg (276.6 KB, 135 downloads)
Bar 1 Mark point.jpg (197.14 KB, 131 downloads)

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
DC Ron #793971 01/05/24 05:33 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks, Charlie. I did not know this. That's an excellent tool to be aware of.
smile

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
DC Ron #793994 01/05/24 07:29 AM
DC Ron Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Ok, have done more testing and it is not a timing offset issue, it is a time stretching issue that is happening inside BiaB when I import my stereo audio file. Here is an image from my DAW of the correct audio file (top) and the BiaB imported audio file (bottom). As you can see, the audio starts late, but the offset increases over time. So when I manually correct the timing offset at the beginning, it continues to lag more and more over time. The audio is in the proper key, but it has (somehow) been stretched.

Also...I imported a previous mix of the entire song, which is 118 BPM, into BiaB and ran the ACW Auto Analysis, and it mapped the song as 120 BPM. Hmmm.

Anyway, I don't have a solution, just laying out some interesting findings...

THANKS to those who have pitched in so far!

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BiaB audio import 1.JPG (29.89 KB, 114 downloads)
Audio import offset
Last edited by DC Ron; 01/05/24 07:32 AM. Reason: mistakes

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
DC Ron #794010 01/05/24 09:59 AM
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Ok, have done more testing and it is not a timing offset issue, it is a time stretching issue that is happening inside BiaB when I import my stereo audio file. Here is an image from my DAW of the correct audio file (top) and the BiaB imported audio file (bottom). As you can see, the audio starts late, but the offset increases over time. So when I manually correct the timing offset at the beginning, it continues to lag more and more over time. The audio is in the proper key, but it has (somehow) been stretched.

Also...I imported a previous mix of the entire song, which is 118 BPM, into BiaB and ran the ACW Auto Analysis, and it mapped the song as 120 BPM. Hmmm.

Anyway, I don't have a solution, just laying out some interesting findings...

THANKS to those who have pitched in so far!
I'm not sure you're correct. It looks like your screen shot is taken from Studio One? If that's not correct, it still appears to be taken from the DAW you use.

If that's correct, there's an issue with your conclusion. It seems you're saying the bottom audio file imported into your DAW from BIAB is the time-stretched audio done by the ACW. If that's correct, then yes, it is expected behavior for there to be an offset that changes over time. BIAB rounds bpm to a whole whereas DAWs are quite a bit more accurate. It appears to me in the screen shot the waves reach a certain level of offset and stabilize and I attribute that to be from BIAB wav being time stretched to a different bpm and also to the inherit difference of the DAW tempo accuracy to BIAB's rounded tempo.

I'll only comment on the BIAB images posted earlier and that is a timing offset, or import placement issue. Doesn't matter which, the fix is the same.
If the ACW does an accurate analysis, whether manual or not, or even if it's not accurate, the BIAB Chord sheet should accurately follow the tempo template the ACW creates.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
DC Ron #794018 01/05/24 10:28 AM
DC Ron Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Charlie, I'm going to summarize in CAPS for those who are skimming this. THIS IS AN ISSUE WITH TIME STRETCHING DURING AUDIO IMPORT, NOT AUDIO PLACEMENT DURING IMPORT.

Back to your note. Yes, I say "Here is an image from my DAW..." which is Studio One. The top track is the vocal audio file I imported into BiaB. The bottom track is the same audio file after I dragged it back out of BiaB. The bottom track has (apparently) been stretched by BiaB. That's the only conclusion I've drawn.

The ACW paragraph was just an independent excursion to see if the entire track (not just the vocal track) was correctly interpreted as 118 BPM by BiaB. It was not. If this is normal as you say I'm surprised, but it doesn't impact my issue as I did not use any ACW settings whatsoever. I just analyzed the song file and then closed without saving. Sorry I wasn't clear on that.

THANKS for the assist! Still searching...

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,662
Posts735,544
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173