Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DC Ron #794070 01/05/24 02:35 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
DC Ron Online Content OP
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
Have sent this issue to tech support. Will update when resolved.

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
StudioCat DAW dual screen
Presonus Faderport 16
Too many guitars (is that a thing?)
DC Ron #794071 01/05/24 02:36 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Ron,

The mystery deepens!

For some reason, audio stretching does seem to have occurred. Whenever I've had problems like this, it's usually because the audio has been "acidized" (saved with information that allows it to be time-stretched). When you import the vocal file, is the "Set audio master tempo" option visible? I've highlighted it on the image below.

[Linked Image - Only viewable when logged in]

If there is no acid info present on the audio file, the importing window indicates "no tempo data detected".

When the file is transferred to Studio One, it is possible that BIAB saves the audio with acidized details that allows it to be time-stretched/shrunk. The BIAB option is found under the "Audio" menu at the very top of the BIAB window. To access the setting, click on "Export Song as audio file".

When you get a chance, can you check out these options as these could be causing the issue.

--Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
DC Ron #794078 01/05/24 02:53 PM
DC Ron Online Content OP
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
Noel, all six of my audio file import trials have been marked "No tempo data detected" at the dialogue box per your pic. Saw the info about acidized files in the help section but I've "assumed" it does not apply as indicated by the dialogue box. That being said, SOMETHING is going on...

Have sent this issue to support along with example files...

THANKS again!

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
DC Ron #794081 01/05/24 03:07 PM
DC Ron Online Content OP
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
Noel, forgot to add...my "Include ACID info" checkbox is unchecked the same as your screenshot for the Render to Audio File checkbox.

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
DC Ron #794090 01/05/24 04:00 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks for the update, Ron.

Out of curiosity, was the file you imported 16 bit, 44100 Hz? I'm not sure that this matters these days but as this is BIAB's default format, it might be worth checking that. The small amount of stretching that is showing up might possibly be explained by the difference between 44100 Hz and 48000 Hz files. That's the last of my ideas. Because I had an issue, too, there is definitely something going on. Hopefully Support will have success sorting it out smile

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
DC Ron #794096 01/05/24 04:16 PM
DC Ron Online Content OP
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
Great idea. I did have it set up for 24 bit, 44100 Hz but changed it to 16/44100...and got exactly the same results. Interestingly, the imported file is labeled "32 bit", which I'm GUESSING (again) is a 16 bit stereo file.

THANKS again, Noel!!

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Biab audio import 2.JPG (4.17 KB, 122 downloads)
Imported .WAV BiaB label

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
DC Ron #794104 01/05/24 04:29 PM
DC Ron Online Content OP
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
One more detail...my Studio One export dialogue box does not have the "include tempo info" checkbox checked. So I don't believe I'm sending tempo info with the audio file.

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
DC Ron #794127 01/05/24 05:37 PM
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Ron, you confirmed the BIAB file was time-stretched so I wasn't suggesting that wasn't the case. My only question was all the steps the file had gone through.
In most normal audio import situations with BIAB, BIAB will not automatically time-stretch pre-recorded material. Acid based material would be one exception and Noel has covered that.
The ACW can create tempo maps and time-stretch audio to a specific tempo. It would be interesting since you know the correct tempo, to import the original audio into BIAB, open the ACW and equalize the tempo to the correct 118 bpm. I don't know if it would have any effect, but I always have BIAB audio driver set to MME.

Another thing, how did you determine in the ACW the tempo to be 120 bpm?

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
DC Ron #794130 01/05/24 06:11 PM
DC Ron Online Content OP
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
Charlie, my audio driver is set to WAS. Have not tried another setting on this issue yet.

As I recall, when I ran the auto analyze function in ACW, BiaB indicated 120 BPM and forced the song tempo to 120 BPM. But I just tried to repeat those results, and ACW now interprets the song file as 118 BPM. However, the timing is still stretched so the imported song file does not match the BiaB tracks on which the song file was based.

I agree that BiaB should not time stretch pre-recorded material that is not Acid based. But somehow, and this may still be on me...that is what is happening.

THANKS again, Charlie! I sometimes find it hard to remain cool and analytical with these frustrating issues. Very helpful to have you and Noel talking me off the ledge.

Ha!

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
DC Ron #794143 01/05/24 08:20 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Ron,

I've just had a spot of lunch and that got me thinking again. There is one other way we can approach this and see if it works. It will sound confusing but it is not all that much effort to do this. If you're game, we can try this using a manual process.

Firstly, a bit of background about BIAB and audio.
When BIAB creates and saves an audio file on the Audio track, that audio file will have the same name as the MGU or SGU file and it will reside in exactly the same directory as the MUS/SGU file.

For example... The MGU file I tried was called... NEVER_AGAIN.MGU

When I imported an audio file onto the audio track and saved the MGU after it was imported, the audio file was called... NEVER_AGAIN.WAV

Both these files were in their own folder called d:\BIAB Songs\Never Again\

With the above in mind...

1) Go to your song's folder and **delete any .wav or .mp3 file that is <songfile name>.wav or <songfile name>.mp3

• In my case this file was: NEVER_AGAIN.WAV (I didn't have any mp3s)

• **If you want to save the existing files, simply change their name so that the end extension is not .wav or .mp3.
  • I usually add .old to any file that I want to keep but that I don't want BIAB to see. So in my case, I would hide NEVER_AGAIN.WAV by renaming it to NEVER _AGAIN.WAV.OLD

2) Go to Studio One and save the vocal as 16 bit, 44,100 Hz.(either mp3 or wav will work since BIAB works with both formats).

3) Take the saved vocal file and copy it to the same folder that the song's MGU/SGU file is in. Check the date/time stamp of the file to make sure that it was the one that you just created.

4) Rename the vocal file that has been copied to the song's folder as <songfile name>.WAV or <songfile name>.mp3 if you saved an mp3.

In my case, I would name this vocal file to NEVER_AGAIN.WAV

5) Now start BIAB and open the MGU/SGU file. I would open this using "File | Open" within BIAB rather than double-clicking on the file in the song's folder.

That's it. The audio file will automatically be attached to the MGU/SGU file.

Hopefully this will work for you!
--Noel

P.S. This is a great learning journey we're on smile

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
DC Ron #794173 01/06/24 02:56 AM
DC Ron Online Content OP
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
Noel, brilliant idea! But, unfortunately, identical result. Oh, well. Really appreciate the investment of your time, but not sure this journey is as "great" as it is "grating". Ha! I suspect the PG support group will not be working much, if at all, over the weekend, so I'm going to kick back and try to make some music today. Hope you have a great weekend as well! Ron

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
DC Ron #794176 01/06/24 03:35 AM
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Good morning Ron and great idea Noel. At some point Ron, PG staff will request you make an SGU and Audio file available if they can't immediately diagnose the issue. Is it possible you could make an SGU file/ song available someway we on the forum could look at? We're missing something so far.

Also, I'm curious to your complete steps you do when you import the file in BIAB, open the ACW and sync the audio to the ACW. What point do you realize the audio is time stretched?

Candidly, there are several others having issues with the ACW that have posted videos or detailed all the steps and with these aids, I've been able to accurately understand their issues, duplicate them on my program but also see what to change to correct the issue.

To be honest, the secret weapon we have in your case is the involvement of Noel. He is a much, much better instructor and explainer than I am. I'm thinking if I can see your complete process and if this issue isn't actually a bug with the ACW, I may can explain the fix to Noel well enough he can share it with you and others that may encounter this problem.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
DC Ron #794193 01/06/24 04:58 AM
DC Ron Online Content OP
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
Charlie, sorry I confused the discussion with my ACW excursion. My issue is with the File>Import>Import Audio function stretching the audio it imports. It's a very simple process, or always has been before. First, select the file to import. In my case, it is a 16/44 vocal track. Second, select the insertion point. Since my audio file starts with the BiaB 2-bar count in, the insertion point is chorus 1, bar -1, beat 1, tick 0. That's it.

Noel is indeed a weapon, but that's not much of a secret. Ha!

Here's the email I sent support:

I’m running the latest build of BiaB 2024 Audiophile on a Windows 10 PC.

"Problem: I’ve run half a dozen tests, and half the time BiaB is time stretching audio files when importing. Below is my thread on the forum.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=793946&page=1

Here is one of the problematic BiaB song files:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/l76xtz9aspd7zcmso33r0/Wrong-Place-Wrong-Time-2.SGU?rlkey=f7e3mqkvj87yjc4styr2fz74n&dl=0

Here is one of the audio files that gets stretched upon import to BiaB:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/8nfvnjcuooeh2st0q1j1r/Wrong-Place-all-vox-5.wav?rlkey=blqgvt0r7nab6f71iodpera81&dl=0

It is a vocal track recorded in a DAW with BiaB stems and includes the two bar count in. So the import point is bar -1

Here is what the track SHOULD sound like coming out of the DAW with the vocal track properly synced:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/sgxo284dhw0ha0dor5dzr/Wrong-Place-2-Dusted.wav?rlkey=quivt9zifzpavifnehtf28vfv&dl=0

After importing, the vocals start late and get progressively later as time goes on. When I export the vocal track back from BiaB into my DAW I can see that the vocals have been stretched. The vocals are in the correct key however.

I have reset to factory settings in BiaB and completely rebuilt the song file from new with no change in results."

Thanks again, Charlie!

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
DC Ron #794197 01/06/24 05:20 AM
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Thanks Ron. PG Staff will likely and hopefully quickly resolve this issue and I'll be monitoring the thread to see how things turn out for you.

Truthfully, I get a lot of blowback about participating in these type issues and have been asked by prominent DAW experts to no longer interfere with their strategy to convert BIAB into a full-fledged DAW.

So, have fun with BIAB, don't let it frustrate you. Music should be fun.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by Charlie Fogle
Thanks Ron. PG Staff will likely and hopefully quickly resolve this issue and I'll be monitoring the thread to see how things turn out for you.

Truthfully, I get a lot of blowback about participating in these type issues and have been asked by prominent DAW experts to no longer interfere with their strategy to convert BIAB into a full-fledged DAW.

So, have fun with BIAB, don't let it frustrate you. Music should be fun.

Charlie,

You do a great job. You impress me no end with your depth of knowledge. Don't let the naysayers stop you. Ultimately, it's up to them if they want to read your posts and learn what you explain to them. If they choose to be unreasonably critical, that's a comment about them, not you.

Please keep up the good work!
--Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
DC Ron #794218 01/06/24 07:40 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Ron,
Please have a look at your messages. You need to scroll to the top of the page and the Message icon is beside you user name on the upper right.
--Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by Charlie Fogle
Music should be fun.

Charlie, don't stop giving your expert advise or your ideas about BiaB. I am not keen on BiaB becoming a DAW however if I can exit BiaB anytime I want, like I can now, and others want it to become a DAW then sure go for it.

Yes music should be fun.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
DC Ron #794235 01/06/24 09:21 AM
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<< I import the .WAV vocal track to chorus 1, bar -1, beat 1, but the vocals are behind a beat or so. >>
This is your vocal import settings. I downloaded the SGU and the Vocals. Thanks for doing that. I assume the vocals start at bar 9.

I adjusted the import settings to Chorus 1, beat 4, tick 0 and these settings properly placed the vocal track in BIAB. This import setting started the vocals at bar 9 and there was no time stretching during the import. I played the file with vocals at 118 bpm. Give this a try.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Import audioi file settings.jpg (20.35 KB, 47 downloads)
DC Ron Song with audio in BIAB.jpg (262.46 KB, 47 downloads)

DC Ron #794238 01/06/24 09:49 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by DC Ron
DrDan, well, in prior years you would be correct. But since I want to CHANGE my workflow (which is currently the one you suggest) so that I do MORE in BiaB and LESS in my DAW, THEN...I'd like to try it with an existing song. Frankly, the new features in BiaB are exciting enough to make me want to try a different workflow, and it's been a long, LONG time since that's happened...

So I'll gladly engage the joke responses to get there.

My dunce cap is still at the ready, but not because I shouldn't be exploring a new workflow...

Ha!(?)

DC - Hows this working out for you so far? I am watching, however, you are working in areas of BIAB that I never go, so can't exactlly tell. Be sure to let me know at the end just how practical this "reverse workflow" is for you. grin

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

DC Ron #794240 01/06/24 09:55 AM
DC Ron Online Content OP
Expert
OP Online Content
Expert
Charlie, the vocals do not start at bar 9. The last syllable of the first vocal phrase (the word "eyes") lands on beat 1 of bar 9. I linked a rough mix of the entire song file in the Support email above if you'd like to hear how it's supposed to sound. Understand you're not getting stretching with this audio file (neither is Noel) but I still am. So now there appears to be something about my install (which is new) or configuration (which hasn't changed in many years) or...something else?

THANK YOU for diving into this!!

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
Presonus Faderport 16
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,662
Posts735,542
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173