Band-in-a-Box for Windows
B
BIABman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
Originally Posted by musocity
In the Program Files folder the permission are more restrictive, in c:\bb it will run like a portable app you can run, copy, paste and add files easy.

OK thanks muso, I didn't know that! smile

A BIAB user for more than 30 years (if you can believe it) !
Veteran
Veteran
That’s correct. The /Program Files (either of them) are the places you do not want to install to

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
B
BIABman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
Originally Posted by MarioD
I would install only the main BiaB program and if you use them the Plogue sforzando and Synthmaster Player onto your hard drive and put everything else on an external HD. If you have an USB HD that came with BiaB you can use that.

Well I still haven't set up BIAB yet, but hope to do so in earnest now.

Somehow, don't ask me how, I managed to install BIAB 2017 onto a tiny c: drive back in 2018.
I just checked and the BIAB server file(s) was 2.5M (that's M as in Megabytes).
Real Tracks 2G!

Now I realize that the program has grown since then, but surely I can get just the essential files
onto my c: drive somehow, and the rest (Real Tracks/Drums) onto my d: drive?

Can someone please explain in detail how to do this?
Also, I don't need/want Real Band (I have never used it since it came out, I use Reaper).
I didn't see an option NOT to install it. Guidance with this too please, how not to install it?

Thanks!

Last edited by BIABman; 01/28/24 02:07 PM.

B
BIABman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
Well that didn't work very well...

I just had a chat with tech support (online) around an hour ago asking about installing BIAB.
I went through all the same questions I had been asking here.

The recommendation was:
1. Custom Installation
2. Just uncheck the copy RealTracks/RealDrums.

That was it basically.
So I chose " Custom Installation" and the next screen I was asked to select what I wanted to install:

There were the five (5) checkboxes available with Custom Installation:
1. BIAB + Realband, DAW plugins, RealTrack files, Real Drums, Super Tracks, Artist Perf., other BIAB addons.
2. Hi-Q inst. for Sforzando
3. Playable Realtracks Set 1 for Sforzando
4. Playable Realtracks Set 2 for Sforzando
5. Playable Realtracks Set 3 for Sforzando

Since I was told to uncheck RealTracks/RealDrums and there was no option to do that specifically, I unchecked 1.
After the installation was finished here is what I saw.

9 G of space was used.
I tried to find where these files were but it was not easy.

The only thing I could find was essentially:
C:\Program Files\PG Music Inc\Band-in-a-Box Sounds\Programs\Playable RealTracks and
C:\Program Files\PG Music Inc\Band-in-a-Box Sounds\Programs\Playable RealDrums

These were the folders with the new stuff. Probably the 9 Gigs worth.

But I couldn't see how to start BIAB2024.

I still could see my BIAB2021 installation in C:\Program Files\bb

I had asked the agent where to install BIAB2024 and the plan was to install to c:\bb but I was never asked
about this. frown

Last edited by BIABman; 01/29/24 08:47 PM.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I know I'm repeating myself, but in my opinion your best option is to run Band-in-a-Box from the external SSD drive like I described previously.

If you REALLY want to run the program on your C: drive, then you could use the setup "option 2" (Install Band-in-a-Box, but not RealTracks/Drums). This requires about 25GB or so. You will still need to have the external drive plugged in, and you will specify custom folder locations for the RealTracks and Drums folder (pointing to the external drive) in Band-in-a-Box.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
B
BIABman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
Originally Posted by Andrew - PG Music
I know I'm repeating myself, but in my opinion your best option is to run Band-in-a-Box from the external SSD drive like I described previously.

If you REALLY want to run the program on your C: drive, then you could use the setup "option 2" (Install Band-in-a-Box, but not RealTracks/Drums). This requires about 25GB or so. You will still need to have the external drive plugged in, and you will specify custom folder locations for the RealTracks and Drums folder (pointing to the external drive) in Band-in-a-Box.

Thanks for helping again Andrew.
I need to be clear about a few things.
I have been running BIAB from my c: drive for more than 20 years.
I know it's possible to do this. smile
I also know it's possible to store the RealTracks and RealDrums on my internal d: drive.
I have been running BIAB this way for many years.

The main reason I can't run it from an external SSD drive is because I am EXTREMELY sensitive to EMF's.
As soon as I plug one in I get head strain/headache, so that's not an option for me.

It's critical that I know exactly how much space BIAB will take up on my c: drive for this installation.
The installation screen says 35 G required for "option 2", not the 25 G that you just mentioned.

I currently have 42G remaining on my c: drive.
We all know that we shouldn't leave such low sapce <10G on the main c: drive for the computer to function well.
There needs to be temporary file space and space for future programs as well.

Another question. If I choose "option 2" can I install BIAB on my internal d:\ drive?
That's where I have my RealTracks/Drums. And I have over 100G free space there.
If BIAB can run from an external drive, it should also be able to run from an internal drive too right (like d:)?

If I can do this, which option should I choose to set this up?

Last edited by BIABman; 01/29/24 09:41 PM.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Yes certainly you can have the RealTracks and/or bb folder on the D: drive.
Do you have an existing bb/RealTracks folder on your D: drive? How large is it and how much free space do you have on that drive?

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
The main reason I can't run it from an external SSD drive is because I am EXTREMELY sensitive to EMF's.
As soon as I plug one in I get head strain/headache, so that's not an option for me.
I've never heard of this, especially with SSD's, but I take your issue on notice.
What about an external drive in a full metal enclosure? Would that have any benefit?

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Anyways, find out the size of any existing Band-in-a-Box content on your D: drive (i.e. the bb folder, or the RealTracks folder if that's all you have there) - right-click on the folder and select properties.

Find out the size of the bb folder on the Band-in-a-Box drive (yours should be about 170GB) Subtract the D drive folder size from the SSD drive folder size, and that's how much additional free space you need.

If you have enough space, then just copy and paste the bb folder to D: replacing existing files when asked, and you're done.

If you don't have quite enough space, but it is close, then you could omit certain files. If you KNOW you won't be using the Direct Input (DI) versions of RealTracks for example, you could omit the RealTracks/Direct Input folder. That will save about 20GB. That can be done easily, if you don't know how then ask here and someone will describe the steps in detail.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by AudioTrack
I've never heard of this, especially with SSD's, but I take your issue on notice.
What about an external drive in a full metal enclosure? Would that have any benefit?
That's exactly what I was thinking when I read this. BIABman, If you feel comfortable sharing more about your condition, I would like to learn more about it, because so far, studies do not show a definitive causation even though many suspect one.

I have one of these meters, which is fascinating to work with because EMF is everywhere: https://www.trifield.com/product/trifield-emf-meter/

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
B
BIABman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
Yes certainly you can have the RealTracks and/or bb folder on the D: drive.
Do you have an existing bb/RealTracks folder on your D: drive? How large is it and how much free space do you have on that drive?

Yes.
I have d:\Music\BIAB\RealTracks\ 34.1G
and
d:\Music\BIAB\Drums\ 4.8 G

Free space on d: is currently 98 G.

Last edited by BIABman; 01/30/24 02:56 PM.

B
BIABman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B

I will have to try that out with my SSD's (I have lots of backups).

Currently when I use them to back up my c: SSD, I plug them into one of my USB slots (using a cable).
I immediately feel the EMF's. And it becomes stronger when files are copied, so I leave the room.

Before I bought large SSD's I used to use 2.5" hard drives, but had the same problem as with the SSD's.

B
BIABman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
Originally Posted by Matt Finley

That's exactly what I was thinking when I read this. BIABman, If you feel comfortable sharing more about your condition, I would like to learn more about it, because so far, studies do not show a definitive causation even though many suspect one.

I have one of these meters, which is fascinating to work with because EMF is everywhere: https://www.trifield.com/product/trifield-emf-meter/

Sure I will confide. I happen to be an extremely sensitive person. Sensitive to sounds/noises and EMF's mostly.
I can feel pressure in my temples when a cellphone is turned on near me.

I don't know if anyone remembers the Zip drives from 20+ years ago? They really hurt my head!

When I buy USB memory disks/SD cards I try to find the slowest, because they use the least amount of power.
I can feel Class 10 SD cards in my temples, Class 4 and lower are OK.
I prefer a USB 2.0 over 3.0.

I am currently having new glasses made and it's a very difficult process for me because my eyes are sensitive to the slightest change in prescription. I immediately get a buzz in my temples similar to the electronics EMF's if the prescription isn't perfect.

I have a couple of EMF meters. A sensitive one for EMF's and an RF meter for Wifi, Bluetooth, smart meters, phones etc.

B
BIABman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
Anyways, find out the size of any existing Band-in-a-Box content on your D: drive (i.e. the bb folder, or the RealTracks folder if that's all you have there) - right-click on the folder and select properties.

As I mentioned above:

I have d:\Music\BIAB\RealTracks\ 34.1G
and d:\Music\BIAB\Drums\ 4.8 G

Free space on d: is currently 98 G.

Find out the size of the bb folder on the Band-in-a-Box drive (yours should be about 170GB) Subtract the D drive folder size from the SSD drive folder size, and that's how much additional free space you need.

My bb folder on the BIAB drive is 174 G.
I'm not following how you calculated the additional space I will need?
Could you please explain it in more detail?

If you have enough space, then just copy and paste the bb folder to D: replacing existing files when asked, and you're done.

I can't copy the bb folder to d: because I have only 98 G left on D:.

How did BIAB balloon in size over the past 7 years?
Seven years ago I installed it on a notebook that had a 30G c: drive.
And it had lots of other programs as well.

Veteran
Veteran
Hello BIABman,

First, thanks for sharing the news about your sensitivity to EMF. That must be very difficult to have to deal with in this electronic world we live in. It seems you have developed some good coping skills.

Regarding the free space on the computer D drive and how to tell if you can transfer all the BiaB files. Your D drive already has 34.1G of RealTracks and 4.8G of RealDrums so your existing content presently is 34.1 + 4.8 or 38.9G. The install will not include the content you have already.

The BiaB folder on the hard drive is 174G. 174G of total content minus 38.9G of existing content leaves 135.1G of new content.

D drive currently reports 98G of free space.

Your D drive does not have enough free space to support the installation of all the new RealTracks and RealDrums.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
B
BIABman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
Originally Posted by Jim Fogle
Hello BIABman,

D drive currently reports 98G of free space.

Your D drive does not have enough free space to support the installation of all the new RealTracks and RealDrums.

Thanks for your understanding my difficult situation Jim!

And thanks for explaining the calculations to me. Now they make sense to me.
But there may be light at the end of the tunnel!

Here's why. There were a few different suggestions above on how to make the installation. One of them involved taking the BIAB USB installation drive and doing a full installation to a USB disk. The idea there was to get files I needed onto the USB stick and transfer them to my d: drive.

Well I followed that suggestion. I have a USB stick with a full installation.
The next thing I did was copy all of the NEW RealTracks and RealDrums that I wanted into my d:\Music\BIAB\RealDrums and d:\Music\BIAB\Drums folders.

So I don't need any more RealTracks or RealDrums during an installation to my d: drive!

Could I manage doing an installation given this info?
If so, can someone tell me what steps to follow to get ONLY the program files installed on d:\bb?

Last edited by BIABman; 01/30/24 09:18 PM.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
While I don't understand entirely what you are doing, one suggestion that may help is to download the "Band-in-a-Box and RealBand 2024" file from your download page, run it and only select the Band-in-a-Box component. That will only install the main Band-in-a-Box program files.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted by BIABman
And it had lots of other programs as well.
The short answer to that is probably "RealTracks". There are lots and they're quite big.

You might consider swapping the hard drive in your present PC for a new larger one, probably SSD.
They're pretty low cost these days, are usually fairly easy to swap out and would deal with both the space and the issue of having to use the external drive. Laptops are a bit fiddly, but there's usually a howto somewhere on YouTube.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
bbman.

since our last exchange ive given more thought to your emf dilemma etc. i really think emf shou!d be addressed with a good solution.

heres what i suggest...
contact pc refurbishers ..pc manufacturers ..and also makers of custom pc for recording studios.
and see what pc they have re lowest emf.

also dont forget mini pc.
i love mine and put it the other end of the room.
so only a kbd is on my desk with monitor.
manufacturers of mini pc are geekom...beelink...minisforum and others.
im getting boot times into win and bb and rb of a few secs.
also high capacity drives.
a mini pc or refurb is only a few hundred bucks....eg my ryzen
see my tips in tips tricks forum re acquiring anew pc if you go this route. note the low dpc tip for music production.

in summary i would address the emf situation...
pc makers n builders might have a solution.

best i can suggest...hth...ymmv.

happiness.

om. 🇨🇦. 🇬🇧

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 01/31/24 07:11 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff

Oh, I missed this question. The reason is because a few years ago you only had the MegaPAK, which has a small fraction of the content of the UltraPAK. The MegaPAK has grown also, but is still only about 40GB. You upgraded to the UltraPAK.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,642
Posts735,386
Members38,525
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 183
DC Ron 101
dcuny 89
DrDan 70
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.