Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
When I use Band-in-a-Box, 90% of the time is spent on Audio Edit Window (AEW), doing partial regen and volume automation.

I have a few questions regarding to Audio Edit Window. The demo SGU and MP3 can be downloaded here.
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/alen87ib775c6tct49dgd/h?rlkey=fi2bz8db8enachoo0jc616u2i&dl=0

Question #1: Chord Text Display
See attached picture. I need to look at the chord texts all the time during editing. Is there a way I can edit BiaB's source file in order to display the chord texts as bold and larger size?

Question #2: Copy & Paste RealDrum Waveform
See attached picture. I can copy & paste a RealTrack waveform, but can't do the same on a RealDrum waveform.
Say, I really like the drum fill of bar 4, and want to copy that drum fill to bar 8, I can't do it in AEW.
Is there a workaround?

Question #3: Partial Regen RealDrum Waveform
See attached picture. I can partial regen a RealTrack waveform, but can't do the same on a RealDrum waveform.
Is there a workaround?

I'm using BiaB 2023 Build 1013. Any workaround is appreciated.

[Linked Image - Only viewable when logged in]

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
AEW 11.jpg (118.34 KB, 307 downloads)
RealDrum 11.jpg (161.41 KB, 308 downloads)
AEW 02.JPG (254.19 KB, 308 downloads)

A Canadian music producer, singer songwriter, composer, and professional guitarist.
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<< Question #1: Chord Text Display >>
I've never had cause to increase the font in AEW because I split the screens between the Chord Sheet and the AEW so I can clearly see both at the same time as well as ensure the tempo is following the Chord Sheet Correctly. The moveable AEW is accessed from Window| Audio Edit | Moveable Audio Edit Window. You can customize the two views to your liking.

<< Question #2: Copy & Paste RealDrums Waveform >>
Yes. There's a workaround. A workaround is necessary for several reasons.
1. The Audio Edit Window is to edit audio.
2. RealTracks can be edited in the AEW in several different configurations, some requiring a conversion of RealTracks to audio. Some edits don't trigger this conversion.
3. RealTracks and RealDrums aren't the same and their structure is completely different to the degree that RealDrums editing in the AEW requires the track must have a RealTrack loaded before editing a RealDrums can be completed. Alternately, the RealDrums Track data can be converted to audio and then edit that audio file in the AEW. I prefer and mostly use the first method.

Knowing the workaround, the only step you're missing is when you're prompted to load a RealTrack, answer yes. Select and load any RealTrack. Don't generate. Copy and Paste as you normally would and when you've completed your edits, freeze the track.

Don't Partial Generate, Regenerate or forget to freeze the track because any generation type activity will be done using the loaded RealTrack rather than the Drums.

<< Question #3: Partial Regen RealDrums Waveform >>
Yes. It's similar to the workaround of Question 2. Generate a second RealDrums on any other track or by freezing all the tracks except the drums and extend the bars beyond the end of the song and generate additional drum material from different drum styles, different patterns, etc and copy/paste using the process of Question 2.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
1) The size of the bar numbers and chords in the Audio Edit window timeline area can't be changed (in either 2023 or 2024). The movable Audio Edit window is a good idea. You could narrow the chord sheet area and position the AEW on the right side over top of the mixer. Also, pressing the Audio Chord Wizard button puts the layout in a mode that has the AEW on the bottom of the Chord sheet.

2) To edit the audio on a RD track, you could first Copy the track to a Utility track. (right-click | Track actions | Copy/move track).

3) You could have one RD track that you have copied to Utility track 1. Re-generate the RD part and copy it to another Utility track. Find bars you like and copy them to Utility #1.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
If you want to create wav files attached to the SGU then use the Audio Edit.
If you want to edit the frozen 2023 SGU so easily without creating new wav files then use that portable version of Reaper you were talking about.

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
After spending an entire day doing testing, I finally come up with some response to Charlie Fogle, Andrew Peckover, and Musocity.

Charlie Fogle's Method is Not Working
First generate a RealDrum track, convert that track to a RealTrack, before generate again, edit the waveform of that track, and freeze it.
No, it doesn't work. It will only work in the first few minutes, then after you continue working for several minutes, or if you save and close the sgu and reopen it, that "semi-drum-track" becomes empty, and all waveform inside is gone, there is no sound from that track anymore.

Andrew Peckover's Method is Working Great
Copy a RealDrum track to a Utility track, so it becomes an orange audio track, then you can do whatever on that track without restrictions.
The only problem is, each Utility track creats a .wav file in the sgu folder, such as sgu #1.wav, sgu #2.wav, etc, take a lot of spaces.

Musocity's Method
The new VST DAW Pluging 6.0 allows Reaper to play source material directly, but on YouTube it never says Reaper can regen the source material natively.
If using third party scripts, could cause code conflict and other issues, such as MultiPicker loading extremely slow.

Rumors
Unlike RealTrack, RealDrum is neither editable nor regenable.
There are rumors saying starting in BiaB build 1108, a new feature is added, and RealDrum now can be edited and regened like RealTrack.
Is this true?

Audio Edit Window Text
I hope Musocity can come up with some ideas to modify the source code to bold and change size of the fonts.
I have a triple monitors setup, so one monitor is displaying BiaB, another one is displaying movable AEW, it's still very painful to look at the top of AEW trying to figure out which texts are bar number and which texts are Nashville chords.
Really hope the font, color, or size can be changed.

A Canadian music producer, singer songwriter, composer, and professional guitarist.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by MusicVillain
... Really hope the font, color, or size (of the Audio Edit window) can be changed.
That is a great idea and I'm sure other users with multiple monitors or a large, high resolution monitor appreciate the thought. Perhaps you can mention the idea in a new thread in the +++ Band-in-a-Box Wishlist +++ forum section so others can support and discuss the idea.

MusicVillain, Great to see you back in the forum and generating discussions that are interesting to read and consider.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
These are the 2 ways to regen the source files in Reaper:

It's not using AHK scripts to access Biab functions like the Track Injector, all the scripts are internal Reaper Lua scripts that millions of users use.
The slow MultiPicker on initial start can be fixed by PG so it's not scanning every file you have in the RealTracks and Drums folders, when you Rebuild it should already have a database.
I have been through 15 years of the issues you bring up, if someone told me back then I could just do this or that it would of saved me so much stress, but no one told me they just all did things the long, hard and frustrating way, they thought that was the only way possible, now most are stuck repeating this because it's how they have done it for so long, so anything new is scary.
Because of all the stress and frustration this cause me to do a deep dive and come up with easy ways to do all this without having thousands of consolidated wav files on hard drives.

The font in the AEW timeline can be changed so easy by PG, but they could be working on direct chord edit on it now if they are not already working on the Mac version. I will have a look in the code and see if I can find it.

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<< Charlie Fogle's Method is Not Working
First generate a RealDrum track, convert that track to a RealTrack, before generate again, edit the waveform of that track, and freeze it.
No, it doesn't work. It will only work in the first few minutes, then after you continue working for several minutes, or if you save and close the sgu and reopen it, that "semi-drum-track" becomes empty, and all waveform inside is gone, there is no sound from that track anymore. >>

At first I was confused by your results because I've never had that issue, ever. I was able to duplicate your results by closing the SGU file without saving the edited track as an audio file also. BIAB has to save edited audio to the same folder an SGU file is located in and both have the same prefix name.

The fact is Andrew's method and the method I use are similar and should produce the same results as long as either method saves the edited audio. Andrew's method is safer and more foolproof because I'm in the habit of working with audio in BIAB and know to save the audio and many users aren't as familiar and know to do it. I was able to skip the copy/paste portion, which saves steps but the audio edits have to be accounted to be saved. Andrew's method forces the RealTrack to audio conversion automatically but takes a few more steps. Use Andrew's method and you will be fine.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Veteran
Veteran
If you want to edit audio you can use 2 instances of Biab with instance 1 you can load the source file RealDrums and copy paste sections to instance 2.
If you want to copy shots pushes holds from the end you can use Edit > Paste (mix) option to overlay them:

Last edited by musocity; 01/19/24 05:35 PM.
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Originally Posted by Charlie Fogle
I was able to skip the copy/paste portion, which saves steps but the audio edits have to be accounted to be saved.

Can you explain how you do it?

My understanding is, with Andrew's method, you save the sgu, the wav file is automatically saved in the folder.

With your method, nothing is changed to orange, and nothing is saved as wav.

Your method is supposed to be better, because it doesn't generate a wav file, and saves disk space. By tricking the software, it treats a RealDrum track as if it's a editable RealTrack. In theory, it's the best method, in reality, it's not working. The track would be cleared by the software automatically.

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Originally Posted by musocity

How did you open two MultiTrack Views at the same time?

Your snapping looks painful. Hope PG would consider making snap great again like they did in 2023.

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Originally Posted by musocity
These are the 2 ways to regen the source files in Reaper:

Like many other people in this forum, I have absolutely zero idea what you are talking about.

GIF is confusing.

Would be way better, if you could take a few screenshots, then put some texts inside the picture. Just like what I did in this thread.

By looking at the screenshots and reading the texts in them, I can follow each steps to achieve the goal of regenerating RealDrums in Reaper with the two methods.

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Rumors
Unlike RealTrack, RealDrum is neither editable nor regenable.
There are rumors saying starting in BiaB build 1108, a new feature is added, and RealDrum now can be edited and regened like RealTrack.
Is this true?

So, is this a truth bomb or a fake news?

Veteran
Veteran
This is using Biab and Open SGU in Reaper
I have a single frozen track I want to add to Reaper, I save the SGU

[Linked Image from reatrak.com]

I open the SGU
I use Script: Import frozen SGU MGU realtracks drums.lua
this will insert a new track below the selected track and load the sections in:

New track added:

If I find a bad section I delete it:

I generate up that section in Biab on empty track, freeze that track only and save:

I use Script: Import single frozen track or section SGU MGU to selected track.lua
to add the new section to the selected track:

New track section inserted on selected track, you can adjust length to merge with next riff:

Using the BiabVST
Generate selected region, if it's half a bar you can easily manually adjust the riffs once added into the track,
you can adjust the snap resolution rather than just one current resolution of 1/32 in Biab,
best also to disable auto crossfade so notes or hits can ring out over other riffs:

Last edited by musocity; 01/19/24 09:43 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
You don't want the BiabVST messing around generating wavs so disable that:

To get the Nashville notation drag the C7 to the very start of an empty track and import markers:

P
P
@musocity: You mentioned "best also to disable auto crossfade so notes or hits can ring out over other riffs:"

I agree, it is very clear when, for example, there is a hit on a crash cymbal. But on the other hand having no fades sometimes the way the clips are cut they produce audible "clicks". They are there in the cut points, it is the same using your scripts or BiaB VST in Reaper mode (it makes sense that the behaviour is the same).

This does not happen using normal full rendering in either BiaB standalone or BiaB VST "not in Reaper mode". It is feasible to post-edit the clips to add the required fades (not in every clip!), but this complicates workflow.

Do you / anybody know if there is an option in Reaper to avoid the cross-fades (so the cymbal ringing can sound at the same time as the next HiHat hit, so both takes are overlapping) and at the same time force fades in all clips (say 10ms) so that the "clicks" are a lot less audible? I mean, fade in/out everywhere but allow overlapping takes to keep long releases?

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Musocity,

There is no doubt, a picture with annotation is a thousand times better than a gif.

I now fully understand your first method. But not the second one.

Could you write a more detailed guidance on how to work between BB VST and Reaper?

Things like, how to initially load a full track from plugin to Reaper, how to copy/move/paste a RealTrack portion in Reaper, how to transfer C7 Nashville markers from BiaB to VST then to Reaper, etc.

Also, can you do another picture post on the MTV, as to how to copy a portion of audio from one track to another in BiaB, while opening two MultiTrack Views at the same time, just like you did in your previous post.

Can you also confirm RealDrum can be partial regened and edited in build 1108 and 1109?

Look forward to your new posts!

Veteran
Veteran
Did you look at Prefs > Project > Item fades defaults
and Track > Free item positioning

Expert
Online Content
Expert
Originally Posted by MusicVillain
Musocity,

There is no doubt, a picture with annotation is a thousand times better than a gif.
There are several issues with animated GIFs in particular. There's so often the challenge on any animation/video or even live demonstration, of seeing where the cursor goes. When it's under ones own control is seems easy to see, when someone else is controlling it, it whizzes off to somewhere on the screen and one has to hunt for it.

With GIFs in particular, there's also usually no start/pause/stop. Even using VLC a rewind goes straight to play and, of course, ose's looking at the buttons. not the video/animation. It's tricky.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
S
Veteran
Veteran
S
[quote=musocity][/quote]

musocity,Thank you again for your picture display.

I also know pictures are better than GIFs.
Let's just use pictures in the future.

WIN10 20H2, AMD R4800H ,16G , 2T ,FOCUSRITE 2i4 MKII,Studio One,FL STUDIO
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,645
Posts735,418
Members38,526
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking
38,525 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 183
DC Ron 97
dcuny 89
rsdean 72
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.