Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#797543 01/28/24 10:24 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
joden Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Just wondering if it is possible to sell a BIAB licence? I have the USB3 hard drive version of 2023, but I want to upgrade to the Audiophile MacOS version, and was hoping to sell the existing Windows 2023 Hard Drive to help affray costs.

Veteran
Veteran
My guess is PG Music Sales would be the best folks to ask since the question is pretty unique.

One thought I had when I read your question is I believe PG Music offers cross operating system pricing. I wonder if you sell the Windows 2023 hard drive then you would lose the cross operating system pricing?

A second thought is you likely upgraded to the Windows 2023 hard drive from a prior version of Band-in-a-Box. I don't know how PG Music treats operating system changes when the Windows version is an upgrade not purchased at the new user price.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
joden Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks Jim...The USB Drive version was bought as a full package (cost me nearly $600 AUD) I can't recall if there was any discount at all.

I investigated the cross grade and there is no serious reduction in price. It will still set me back another $600+

Pretty much all other software I have licences for, simply allow you to use either version, with no penalty. PG certainly do things differently!

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Joden, I'm sorry PG Music doesn't offer a serious reduction in price when a user wants to switch between the Windows and Macintosh operating systems.

Perform a forum search and I believe user Musocity has discussed using the Windows version of Band-in-a-Box on Macintosh computers. One obstacle is the wma audio files should be converted to wave or MP4a files. He uses the Reaper DAW to perform a batch conversion process. Another obstacle is you have to install programs that run Windows on a Macintosh.

joden Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks again Jim.

Yes I have read that and indeed he replied to my query describing the steps in another thread, however it is a bit convoluted and I am SURE I will stuff it up somewhere, hence looking at buying the full version, with all the full audio files available and in order. I am trying to divest myself of everything MP3/AAC as the WAV/AIFF versions are much better considering there are no space issues any more.

*sigh* I might revisit though (that method) , particularly as it looks like transferring a licence may not be possible.

Veteran
Veteran
First, I do not know for sure and Jim is right to ask PG Music directly. I first thought the same as he did, to ask whether you had an upgrade license or a 'full' new license for BIAB 2023. It does sound like you should at least call PG Music Sales and give it a try to negotiate something. You have nothing to lose.

I read that thread as well, about buying only the Pro version for your Mac and then converting the format of all the audio files. I guess it boils down to the value of your time to go through that conversion.

I assume you would have to deactivate all three licenses of your existing Windows installation to get any hope of transferring it to another user.

Let us know what you decide.

ps it's good you asked this question publicly. There must be others wanting to transfer platforms and the cross grade pricing might be prohibitive for some.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
joden Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks Matt - I did approach support initially, and they said that as I was still within the 30 days for the 2024 purchase, I could claim the return and refund which I could then apply to the new purchase, but only of the upgrade as for me, 2024 was an upgrade to 2023 USB Drive version. She made no mention of just deactivating licences, however even if I did I suspect it would make no difference.

The time to do Musocity's plan is not daunting time wise, more a case of I'd probably muck something up and then not be able to use it properly. And as I would also need to format the USB Drive to APFS (for optimal use with MacOS 14) I'd then be risking losing everything on it, with no guarantee of success, in case I ever wanted to (but I seriously doubt it) return to Microsoft.

Veteran
Veteran
The Win Audiophile drive will work on Mac, you just need to batch convert the wma demos.
You can copy it to a Mac format drive.

Last edited by musocity; 01/28/24 02:55 PM.
joden Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted by musocity
The Win Audiophile drive will work on Mac, you just need to batch convert the wma demos.
You can copy it to a Mac format drive.

Sorry, my bad, and it is confusing. I have the Ultra Pack on the USB Drive, not the Audiophile. I just checked it is the 2022 drive I bought, not 2023.

I think maybe the simplest is to just buy the cross grade and pay via instalments - PayPal in four or similar.

Veteran
Veteran
It's $669USD compared to $79USD for that app only and converting is easier than trying to learn Biab.
PG should have a crossplatform format so it will install and work on both platforms.
As I said the only difference in the directory structure is Library > LibraryM
For $79 only it's worth trying first, it all worked for me I'm sure it will work for you.
If you are using AUD it's ridiculous the exchange rate at the moment to USD that's why I did an app only upgrade this year as the Audiophile was too much.

Veteran
Veteran
There is a PG app decompress.zip that will decompress all the wma to wav (wav will work on Mac) I can't remember if it does subdirectories or only the folder you run it in, you can download this one or do a search in the bb\ folder and you may have it. I think Biab has an option in RealTrack/RealDrums Preferences to decompress/archive RT/RD.

Veteran
Veteran
I did a google search and here are a couple of free wma to aiff and wav to aiff file converters.
It looks like it is a batch conversion.

Don't ask as I don't have any experience with either.

https://convertio.co/wav-aiff/

https://www.freeconvert.com/wma-to-aiff

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
joden Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
It's $669USD compared to $79USD for that app only and converting is easier than trying to learn Biab.
PG should have a crossplatform format so it will install and work on both platforms.
As I said the only difference in the directory structure is Library > LibraryM
For $79 only it's worth trying first, it all worked for me I'm sure it will work for you.
If you are using AUD it's ridiculous the exchange rate at the moment to USD that's why I did an app only upgrade this year as the Audiophile was too much.

Can I use the same USB drive?I mean, when you point it out in that way, it's a huge amount of difference!

My plan would be to transfer all the data to a separate drive, format the existing BIAB USB Drive to APFS, then install the BIAB macOS version and transfer back all the data. I guess it would be better to do all of that first and THEN do the conversion as transferring that much audio data as uncompressed (ie non-mp3) data would take forever!

PS: oh and I did a search for that Library>Library M folder and could not find it.

Last edited by joden; 01/28/24 06:12 PM.
joden Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Oh and an ancillary question - Is the Mac 2023 the same as windows 2024, or is the Mac version a year behind?

Veteran
Veteran
The Macintosh release is generally 6 - 8 months after the Windows release so 2024 Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh may show up in June or July.

Veteran
Veteran
BIAB for Windows has had an uncompress utility since the early days of RealTracks in around 2009. In those early days there was a real benefit to uncompressing those WMA files. See my article in Tips and Tricks about the differences between the regular and the audiophile versions.

The downside was that it required about 11 times the storage space to do this. Of course, we also had a few who did not understand that an uncompressed WMA would not be the same quality as the never-compressed WAV files of the audiophile version.

So, if you have the space, before you make the conversion to Mac, you could use BIAB to uncompress the files.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
It depends on what the Mac you are getting or already have, what size drive it has, or it may have an NVME SSD M.2 slot.
If you compress the wma to m4a it will use much the same room on a drive, but if you go for the wav option you might need up to 1.5 TB.
If you can't fit the RealTracks and Drums folders on the Mac system drive look for one that is also Mac compatible
Seagate 2TB Expansion Portable HDD External Hard Drive USB3.0 PC PS4 Mac Windows
or smaller if you used compressed
Blueendles HDD External Hard Drive 320GB 500GB 750GB 1TB 2TB USB3.0 Storage PC

You just need to rename these to LibraryM
[Linked Image - Only viewable when logged in]

joden Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Just came across this as an alternative (maybe short term) using either CodeWeaver’s CrossOver, or Wineskin Winery. Anyone had any experience with these? Installation seems pretty straightforward, albeit a bit convoluted, so I am more interested in if anyone managed to get it to work.

Considering I have BIAB that runs from the USB Drive and not the Mac system drive it might be a viable option. As I wrote, maybe if only for a short term.

Veteran
Veteran
Biab Win needs Window Media Player, see here
It would be easier to install Windows on the Mac and dual boot, the Win version just keeps working on any Win OS version whereas with Mac when they update the OS things stop working and you have to wait for fixes.
If you want the Win version to work on Mac use https://www.parallels.com/au/ but it's like $179.00 AUD

joden Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Biab Win needs Window Media Player, see here
It would be easier to install Windows on the Mac and dual boot, the Win version just keeps working on any Win OS version whereas with Mac when they update the OS things stop working and you have to wait for fixes.
If you want the Win version to work on Mac use https://www.parallels.com/au/ but it's like $179.00 AUD

Thanks - what did you think of my planned process I outlined above (a couple of posts earlier) ? That would be buying just the MacOS program only...any issues doing it all that way?

PS: Crossover is getting a pretty decent rep...it's still a buy option, at $79 - BUT I am going to do the conversion to WAV you explained in any case as I want all wav files, even though I assume the factory version audiophile is "native" wav, rather than converted MP3/WMA to WAV...I think there may be a difference, anyhoo time will tell.

PPS: sorry to be doing this "thinking out loud" stuff, but as Matt pointed out, someone else might benefit from my stumbling steps smile

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,642
Posts735,390
Members38,525
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking
38,525 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 183
DC Ron 101
dcuny 89
rsdean 71
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.