Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#797599 01/28/24 09:08 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
OP Offline
Just bought BiB last week and have been slowly learning my way around. My main reason I bought it is so my 14 year old Grandson can write music for the songs he's writing lyrics for. He's just learning guitar and he's become ( this is weird) a big country music fan. Well at least that's music I am good at. So I thought Band in a Box was perfect because you pick a style and enter the chords and there you go. He has music for his songs. And he can try different styles and tempos etc.
I found that part fairly straight forward. Still learning but we finished a song pretty quickly.
But here's my questions.
First- I wanted to record the vocals so I exported the song as a midi file and opened it in Cakewalk.
Some songs that had 5 parts only show having 2 tracks. Others have all of them? Is there some weirdness to the tracks that prevent them being included?
Then some of the accompaniment parts make mistakes and so I opened the Piano roll and tried to fix them. But my changes do not playback? It seems it ignores any changes to the notes?
The other issue is once opened in Cakewalk the parts have no controller values. Like the steel guitar is obviously bending notes but this does not show in the pitch bend controller lane. Modulation CC 1?
Thanks. I hope it's just pilot error and not a limitation of the software.

Veteran
Veteran
"First- I wanted to record the vocals so I exported the song as a midi file and opened it in Cakewalk. "
Why are you using midi ?
Biab now has RealTracks and RealDrums that are audio recordings "Look Ma No Midi", the midi is just to give notation, not for sound.
Changing the midi notes won't change the audio recording, you would need to enable Playable RealTracks.

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Spencer,

Welcome to the forums smile BIAB will be an excellent tool for your grandson to work with.

The easiest way for him to record vocals would be as follows...

1) When the song is sound just as you want it within BIAB, save the file as a .WAV file.

2) Now load that .WAV file into Cakewalk and you will have a complete backing that you grandson can sing against and he will be able to record vocals.

All the best,
--Noel

★ a recent song of mine: Every Single Day (a duet using Synthesizer V’s vocaloids, Kevin & Natalie)

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
OP Offline
If you read my post I need the midi to transfer the file over to Cakewalk to edit the midi data and complete the song.

Band in the box has pretty good sounds but they are only close to what I'm used to using these days. It is obvious that Band in a Box is not a DAW. It seems to be a great tool for starting a song but not to finish it.

I also did read what I could about the Real tracks and I activated the Playable tracks and it has a green box around it. I noticed the notes I add are also green. But they play a different sound/ instrument. As example the Pedal steel plays what sounds like a acoustic guitar patch. I'm trying to fix the mistakes like the wrong chords which you can clearly see in the PRV. It seems to miss chord changes mid bar.

The midi editing seems very limited which is why I need to be able to export the midi files so I can work in a proper editing environment. ( DAW)
But as I said some of the resulting midi exports do not include a lot of the tracks. And there's no CC data, only velocity.

Is this is due to the fact that it is actually playing audio samples ?? Real Tracks? Are the midi notes just to trigger the samples? If so why doesn't adding a midi note trigger that sample? The added notes sound like wavetable GM synth sounds.

If none of these styles you pick are actually midi and If the auto generated chords are not playing correctly is there no way to fix that?

In the mean time I had to export the tracks as audio stems then fix all the errors using Melodyne in Cakewalk. But it would be nice to learn how to make the song sound correct in the program it self.

I apologize that I have not taken the time to watch the tutorials but a quick look at the titles I couldn't see any that started you out from ground zero.

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Spencer,
Virtually all of my songs are MIDI; I rarely use RealTracks.

Realtrack are audio, however those tracks that have an underline can be saved as MIDI BUT you only will get the notes and velocity data, i.e. no nuances. Note I do all of my MIDI work in my DAW, Studio One Pro 6. I find that working in my DAW is much faster and easier then working in BiaB. If you have an audio only Realtrack then drag and drop the song as MIDI ONLY the MIDI tracks will be moved. That may be part of your problem. In the styles window under type I have mine set for MIDI as that way I will only get MIDI tracks. I would suggest you do that until you become more familiar with BiaB.

I can drag and drop the MIDI track(s)/song directly into my DAW. You may or may not be able to do that thus you might want to add a desktop folder and move the track(s)/song to it.

I have included picture explaining how I use BiaB.

I hope this helps and if you have any question you can ask in the forum or a PM.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
1-MIDI.jpg (155.8 KB, 208 downloads)
2 MIDI.jpg (121.85 KB, 208 downloads)
3 MIDI.jpg (96.97 KB, 208 downloads)

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by SpencerH
Band in the box has pretty good sounds but they are only close to what I'm used to using these days. It is obvious that Band in a Box is not a DAW. It seems to be a great tool for starting a song but not to finish it.

This is how I use BIAB, too. I use it as a tool to create tracks that I then take to a DAW and add effects, etc., to create a more polished sounding backing.

I also did read what I could about the Real tracks and I activated the Playable tracks and it has a green box around it. I noticed the notes I add are also green. But they play a different sound/ instrument. As example the Pedal steel plays what sounds like a acoustic guitar patch. I'm trying to fix the mistakes like the wrong chords which you can clearly see in the PRV. It seems to miss chord changes mid bar.

Realtracks are audio tracks played by a studio musician. They are not activated nor controlled by MIDI notes. The MIDI notes are simply a transcription of the notes the Realtrack is playing. To some extent, the notes within a Realtrack can be modified using playable Realtracks (which are MIDI insertions). As you point out, these notes are not necessarily a perfect match for the overall sound of the Realtrack. They're more a correction device and if the volume of the added/corrected note is a little quieter, the overall tone will be controlled by those notes that were not changed. Melodyne, which you mentioned, is a great option because that uses the original Realtrack.

The midi editing seems very limited which is why I need to be able to export the midi files so I can work in a proper editing environment. ( DAW)
But as I said some of the resulting midi exports do not include a lot of the tracks. And there's no CC data, only velocity.

As mentioned above, MIDI information does not control the Realtracks. It's just notation. A MIDI file can be saved and used with a softsynth but the performance information is limited.

Is this is due to the fact that it is actually playing audio samples ?? Real Tracks? Are the midi notes just to trigger the samples? If so why doesn't adding a midi note trigger that sample? The added notes sound like wavetable GM synth sounds.

Realtracks are snippets of actual audio that are sliced and diced to create a backing. The Realtracks are not samples. The backing is created on a bar-by-bar basis from the studio musician's performance and not a note-by-note basis using MIDI triggers with sampled, individual notes.

If none of these styles you pick are actually midi and If the auto generated chords are not playing correctly is there no way to fix that?

There are a few options.

1) Right-click on the track and select "Track Settings" and down the bottom of the pop-up window is an option called "Autofix sour notes". Activating this will help.

2) As you have already done, it's possible to use playable realtracks, or if that is not suitable for the instrument involved, use Melodyne to change notes.

3) What I personally do is to use Partial Regeneration. It is possible to select a range of bars and then generate a new version of the Realtrack just for that chosen section. Have a look at the video below. The section to watch begins at 10:30. Below are the time stamps for the sections that will help you.

10:30 Basics of Partial Re-generation
14:28 Partial re-generation Options window
20:04 Changing RealTracks using Partial Re-generation
23:01 Editing RealTracks (copy/paste/erase)
27:38 More partial re-generation (Bootcamp 1 excerpt)

Lastly, you mentioned that when chords are added in the middle of a bar, they don't seem to play. They should play. One thing to note is that if they were added after you have generated the chord chart, you will need to re-generate so that the changes are picked up. BIAB doesn't automatically adjust to chord chart changes. I like to think of the chord sheet as a set of instructions for BIAB. It tells the program what chords to play and where to play them. Then, when I generate the backing, BIAB implements the instructions on that chordsheet. Whenever something new is added to the chord sheet, or it changes in some way, BIAB needs to be regenerated to implement the new and updated 'instructions'.

I hope this helps. BIAB is a fantastic tool and once you get over the learning curve, you'll be amazed what can be achieved.

Regards,
--Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
OP Offline
Thank you very much both Mario and Noel. And extra thanks Mario for those screenshots. That's exactly what I needed to know. It always takes a while to learn something new. And Band in a Box is a very strange program. I had a demo version of it possible 15 years ago and I never figured it out even back then.
I found this version seemed a little more intuitive. Fine tuning what your get seems the steep learning curve part.

I also installed a trial of ChordPulse which actually works really well for what I wanted to do but it is limited in styles and grooves. But for $30 it's pretty useful tool.

I'm just spoiled by using Cakewalk to create music but it would be way to complicated for my Grandson. And I'll have fun with Band and a box because I will figure it out eventually and use it as a additional tool.
I already used the steel guitar part in a song I just did a rough demo of. I exported the pedal steel as a WAV file. The drums are the original Band in a box midi track. The rest I recorded my self( Cakewalk)

https://on.soundcloud.com/fjFf3

Last edited by SpencerH; 01/29/24 05:35 PM. Reason: Typo
Veteran
Veteran
Love your song! I don't know if you've come across the "Users Showcase" forum. If you haven't, that's a PG Music site here on these forums for users to post their creations smile

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Noel96
Love your song! I don't know if you've come across the "Users Showcase" forum. If you haven't, that's a PG Music site here on these forums for users to post their creations smile

Thanks. I look into that but the song was mostly done in Cakewalk so not sure they accept that.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by Cactus Music BC
Thanks. I look into that but the song was mostly done in Cakewalk so not sure they accept that.
If it contains just one single note from BiaB, you can certainly use it there. Go on. Others will like it, for sure.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Expert
Expert
One thing nobody has mentioned is that if you have the windows version of BIAB you get RealBand free. I know you know your way around Cakewalk but think its too complicated for your grandson. I think he would find RB quite simple to master. It's a DAW but still retains BIAB features. If he opens the BIAB track in RB he'll see all the tracks laid out simply. To regenerate any part of a track highlight the area you want and right click, and choose regenerate. What you can do in BIAB is amazing but i've been using BIAB for over twenty years and find it easier to do many things in RB because it's so transparent. Try it and you'll see what I mean. I treat it as BIAB with a much simpler GUI.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by Cactus Music BC
..I also did read what I could about the Real tracks and I activated the Playable tracks and it has a green box around it. I noticed the notes I add are also green. But they play a different sound/ instrument. As example the Pedal steel plays what sounds like a acoustic guitar patch...
PG were suppose to match these sfz sounds so they are the same as the instrument, what pedal steel guitar was it ? was it FX version or Direct Input version ?

OP Offline
I managed to open this dialogue box. But if I play this it sounds wrong too. No biggy.

I went to attach a picture but I see this forum software is from 1995. Oh well.
it opens Sforzando player and said 028-Pedal steel clean.W? Seems to be old sound font sounds.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff

You can attach an image using the "attachment manager". See attached images

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
attachment_manager.png (1.89 KB, 90 downloads)
attachment_manager2.png (16.38 KB, 90 downloads)

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran

A bit harsh? The forum software is definitely up-to-date. Like everything new, one just has to learn how to use it.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted by Andrew - PG Music
You can attach an image using the "attachment manager". See attached images
Note that you have to be in the Full Editor to see that.
The Quick Reply box doesn't have it.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
OP Offline
I know how to insert pictures and it surprised me as it takes me back to the old Sonar forum. We've had drag and drop for a long time now. I still have a Imgur account form those days. No insults to this forum were intended but it's is sort of one of those year 2000 retro styled ones.
Oh hold on-- I was using the picture Icon up above which requires a web page, I see there's a file drag and drop in the bottom, my bad it was off screen. Yep, I have to learn the forum too. And even more embarrassing is I was told about it a few posts ago and I missed that totally.
Thanks once again everyone for your help, I obviously will need a lot!

Last edited by Cactus Music BC; 02/02/24 04:14 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
All good Cactus. There's a lot of very helpful people here. Teamwork.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,642
Posts735,384
Members38,525
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 183
DC Ron 101
dcuny 89
DrDan 70
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.