Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
B
BIABman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
How do you tell BIAB not to mess a with a chord at a certain bar and beat?
I went into bar/chord settings but I guess I'm not doing it right?

I would like a pure G7, but I'm getting G7b9 etc.

A BIAB user for more than 30 years (if you can believe it) !
Veteran
Veteran
Hi BIABman,

Have a look in Song Settings (right-click on the chord sheet). There's a setting called "Natural Arrangement" that needs to be set to "DIsable for this song" if you don't want BIAB to modify any chords.

Regards,
--Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, what Noel said is a good first place to look, but there are many other things to try. I wrote an article on this that you can read in Tips and Tricks: https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=694482#Post694482

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
That's a great article, Matt. It slipped past me. I'll be referring people to that now. Thanks for taking the time to summarise everything so clearly.
--Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
B
BIABman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
Originally Posted by Matt Finley
Yes, what Noel said is a good first place to look, but there are many other things to try. I wrote an article on this that you can read in Tips and Tricks: https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=694482#Post694482

Thanks Matt for helping out!
I tried each of your suggestions in the article, but the only one that had some effect
was changing the chord from G7 to G9.
It worked for a couple of chords, not all of them.
And I should be able to get a straight G7 and not a G9.

While in chat support just now I had some success, but only briefly.
I was able to get straight G7 chords for a few bars (not all) following these instructions:

| Edit | Song Form | Settings for This Song |
-Under RealTracks Options Natural Arrangements Select Enable.
Regenerate tracks.

Now here's the weird part.
When I asked him to fix a few other problems and he didn't know how, he asked
me to send him the frozen tracks.
I asked him how can I tell if the tracks are frozen?
When he told me, I noticed that the Organ track (the problem track) was already frozen!

I asked him if this could have been part of the problem. He said Yes!
But think about it. I never touched the frozen button, so wouldn't the track have been frozen for all of the session?
So why did the above instructions fix the G7 chord for a couple of bars if the track was frozen?

And here's the best part. When I unfroze the tracks and regenerated (without changing any of the settings) the G7 chords were lost again to G7b9. frown

Veteran
Veteran
Yikes.

I would not have expected any change to a frozen organ track as you tried experiments, nor as often as you regenerated. Or, turning it around, you need to unfreeze before anything you try makes a change.

If it’s not working that way, then I suggest Return to Factory Settings, Most.

Weird.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
B
BIABman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
Yikes.

I would not have expected any change to a frozen organ track as you tried experiments, nor as often as you regenerated. Or, turning it around, you need to unfreeze before anything you try makes a change.

If it’s not working that way, then I suggest Return to Factory Settings, Most.

Weird.

Yeah Matt that whole chat experience was really weird to say the least!
Because the suggestion he made did fix the chord to get G7 chords, but only for the first pass not the repeat.
And how was it possible when the Organ track was frozen the whole time???

I'm not ready at this point to do a Factory Reset because I have made a bunch of changes to settings the past few weeks and would lose them all (don't even remember what the changes were nor what they were for).

Veteran
Veteran
In Song Settings > Avoid Transpositions if that is unchecked you should at least be getting an F7 or A7 transposed as well as a G7.
You can load the style and freeze all the styles tracks and generate a whole Utility track of G7 with the instrument you need and see what you get then you can freeze that track, paste the song chords, unfreeze the style tracks, generate then in then in the Audio Edit window with snap enabled copy the good sections from the Utility track to the style track that has been generated and replace the bad sections with the good sections.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by BIABman
... I'm not ready at this point to do a Factory Reset because I have made a bunch of changes to settings the past few weeks and would lose them all (don't even remember what the changes were nor what they were for).
Before that starts, you are always prompted to Save your existing settings. It's safe.

B
BIABman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
Originally Posted by musocity
In Song Settings > Avoid Transpositions if that is unchecked you should at least be getting an F7 or A7 transposed as well as a G7.
You can load the style and freeze all the styles tracks and generate a whole Utility track of G7 with the instrument you need and see what you get then you can freeze that track, paste the song chords, unfreeze the style tracks, generate then in then in the Audio Edit window with snap enabled copy the good sections from the Utility track to the style track that has been generated and replace the bad sections with the good sections.

Thanks musocity!
Avoid Transp. didn't help.

I just did an experiment with a fresh track as you suggested and got some very unexpected results, to say the least.
I used the same Style as the one in my song where my G7 chords aren't working.
It's called "Jazz Ballad with Organ".

I input G7 for 2 bars then C7 for 2 bars and the G7 with no ending.

Here's what BIAB did, /G13 G9+ /G13 /C13 /C13 /
G(b9)+ /G13 /G9 add4 G13b9/ G9 more and more creations frown

B
BIABman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
... I'm not ready at this point to do a Factory Reset because I have made a bunch of changes to settings the past few weeks and would lose them all (don't even remember what the changes were nor what they were for).
Before that starts, you are always prompted to Save your existing settings. It's safe.

I just did a Factory Reset.
Wow that was NASTY!
I started to play back the song and got weird sounds, crackling garbled sound plus the following error:

An exception error has occurred. You can continue to use the program but should likely save your work and reboot program.

Access violation at address 00007FF84214DEE5 in module 'dllelastiquePro3.dll'. Write of address 0000000040C24000.

I tried to replay the song and BIAB simply crashed!

Loaded BIAB and the song again.
It played this time, but up to the same old tricks.
Not playing G7 chords (no frozen track for Organ) so these are fresh substitutions for the G7's..

Veteran
Veteran
The one I have with "Jazz Ballad with Organ" is _JAZOR60 with 1039 B3 Organ Jazz but it has no RealChart midi so I don't know what chords it's playing.
Have you tried another RT Organ ?

B
BIABman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
[quote=musocity]The one I have with "Jazz Ballad with Organ" is _JAZOR60 with 1039 B3 Organ Jazz but it has no RealChart midi so I don't know what chords it's playing.
Have you tried another RT Organ ? [/quote

Yes JAZOR60 is the one I'm using.
I tried a bunch more now with basically the same results.

I don't understand why you can't tell BIAB to play a simple G7 chord?
And the thing is, with one of the previous settings (they have been changed multiple times) it was playing a G7 for two bars, but on the repeat it played altered chords again.

Veteran
Veteran
BIABman,

I notice in this post that PG Music help told you to activate Natural Arrangement in Song Settings. I'm not quite sure why this was mentioned because engaging Natural Arrangement gives BIAB permission to modify chords when the song is generated if the program has determined that better options exist. The below image is from the Users Manual.

[Linked Image - Only viewable when logged in]

Another option that you might like to try is to "Fix sour notes". This is found by right-clicking on the track, selecting "Track Settings" and then selecting "Auto-fix sour notes".

Another process that I can think of is to use Audio Edit and partial regeneration to regenerate those regions where the wrong chords play. When you use partial regeneration, the track will be automatically set to frozen so that the partial regeneration is not lost. Don't worry about this as partial regeneration overrides the frozen option. This is normal.

Regards,
--Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
About Return to Factory Settings, I always choose Most. This keeps your driver settings. As an example, on my system the default WAS audio driver causes pretty horrible sounds and I need MME. That might be what happened to you; check your MIDI and audio drivers.

B
BIABman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
About Return to Factory Settings, I always choose Most. This keeps your driver settings. As an example, on my system the default WAS audio driver causes pretty horrible sounds and I need MME. That might be what happened to you; check your MIDI and audio drivers.

Now he tells me. smile
I chose Full not Most.
I just checked and it was back to WAS audio.
Rather than just change that one back I may as well change all of my previous settings back, seeing as the Factory Reset didn't fix the problem.

So please tell me how do I restore my saved Factory settings that I made a backup of?

Geez, unless you use this program every day and know all the ins and outs, don't let anyone tell you BIAB is a piece of cake to use!

B
BIABman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
Yeah Noel I too didn't understand why he told me to use 'Natural Arrangement' in chat.
It seemed counter-intuitive. But it seemed to work, kind of. As I said, in the repeat it was back to playing 'fancy' G7s.

Your 'fix sour notes' suggestion didn't work.

Could you please give me specific directions on how to use "Audio Edit and partial regeneration"?
I couldn't find it.
TIA

Veteran
Veteran
If you have a look at the video below, the range 10:30 — 28:25 covers partial regeneration extensively.

Also, with "Auto fix sour notes" that works on a track-by-track basis so if another track had the modified chord, that would still be heard.

Under Track Settings (#1 from the menu obtained by right-clicking on a track), you can modify all the settings and make them track specific. I use "Force simple arrangement" when I want BIAB to play chords without any modification. Also, whenever any of the settings are put in place, they will not activate until you regenerate the track (and the track needs to be unfrozen for the regeneration to occur). In the attached image, there is reference to the Melody Track. This is because it was this track that I right-clicked on.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
force chords to play what's written.jpg (48.95 KB, 77 downloads)

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Here's some more options using Partial Regen with the Held option and using PlayableRealTrack mode and add the G7 notes,
you can use Edit mode in Tracks view to copy/split/move Held sections around,
you can also generate up some MST Keys/Organ and copy notes to the RealTrack Organ PlayableRealTracks muted section.
you can also try the "Simpler" option in the Settings button:

B
BIABman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
Originally Posted by Noel96
If you have a look at the video below, the range 10:30 — 28:25 covers partial regeneration extensively.

Also, with "Auto fix sour notes" that works on a track-by-track basis so if another track had the modified chord, that would still be heard.

Thanks Noel that video looks very useful.
For the fix sour notes, I had only selected the problem track, nothing else.

I just tried selective regeneration. And while I was able to get a pure G7 eventually,
it didn't last long. As I said the section repeats, and on the repeat the G7 was back to being altered.
So now the question becomes, "How do you do selective regeneration on two bars that repeat and have the regeneration stick with the 1st pass and the repeat?"

Veteran
Veteran
You can copy the sections with Ctrl+C then Ctrl+V and delete section with Del and drag ends to extend/shorten or drag center top to move (with Snap enabled)

B
BIABman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B

I just got off a chat from tech support and they told me the settings aren't saved anywhere.
You need to do it manually.

Wait a second... hold on!

I distinctly remember during my Factory Reset, it gave me a name for my old settings.
So the chat agent was wrong with what she said.

I did a little digging just now and discovered where the settings file is located but I still could use some technical support here.

The file is located here: \bb\Data\Util\Templates\
And this was the file that was created:

Saved Prefs Backup 1.bbw 285 K

Interestingly BIAB's settings files are named:

intrface.bbw 285 K
MySetup.DK 768 bytes
and are located here: \bb\Preferences\

So BIAB's settings files are named differently. Also there was only one settings file saved (Backup 1.bbw).
If I wanted to restore this file would I simply rename it to intrface.bbw, copy it to the prefs folder and I'd be good to go?
What about MySetup.DK where does that fit in? It's not a text file. Just leave it alone?

Has anyone here gotten their hands dirty working with this already? I'm sure someone must have.

Last edited by BIABman; 02/10/24 02:16 PM.

B
BIABman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
Originally Posted by musocity
You can copy the sections with Ctrl+C then Ctrl+V and delete section with Del and drag ends to extend/shorten or drag center top to move (with Snap enabled)

Thanks muso, this has been the best option so far. smile
I didn't even know about this audio feature.

I think the root of the problem lies in the Real Track recordings.
I would highly recommend that PGMusic ask their jazz artists (keyboards and guitar) to record
a large number of straight dominant 7 chords (in all inversions) when they are at their recording sessions.
In addition of course to their altered dom. 7 chords.

Hopefully they won't have forgotten how to play straight Dom. 7 chords.. smile

This way when a dom. 7 chord is keyed in, BIAB will have a large palette to choose from, and the user should be able to find an appropriate straight Dom 7 chord if they so desire.

Are you listening PGMusic? smile

Veteran
Veteran
Just to clarify, the chat agent wasn’t wrong literally, since the saving isn’t done automatically. My point was that there is a prompt, and if you didn’t save, it means you didn’t take the opportunity to save. Finally, unless you specify elsewhere, the program will find your saved settings file when you want to load it back.

B
BIABman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
Just to clarify, the chat agent wasn’t wrong literally, since the saving isn’t done automatically. My point was that there is a prompt, and if you didn’t save, it means you didn’t take the opportunity to save. Finally, unless you specify elsewhere, the program will find your saved settings file when you want to load it back.

Thanks Matt for the clarification.
The agent has a different mode of backing up the settings file. It is entirely manual.
She talks about finding the settings files in its folder, backing it up and then manually deleting the
current settings file.

And finally, could you please tell me how would I load back my saved settings (with the program finding my saved file)?

I am asking out of curiosity as I just successfully did a manual restore.

Veteran
Veteran
And finally, could you please tell me how would I load back my saved settings (with the program finding my saved file)?

Saving your preferences before Return To Factory Settings:

Restoring your previously saved preferences:

Last edited by AudioTrack; 02/10/24 06:07 PM.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
B
BIABman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
Originally Posted by AudioTrack

Saving your preferences before Return To Factory Settings:
Restoring your previously saved preferences:

Thanks very much AT I have made a note of this method. smile

Veteran
Veteran
And thank you for explaining what the chat agent told you. Yes, it can be done manually by deleting some files, but I didn't expect you would do it that way. Now I understand your posts better, and you see from Trevor's posts how to do it using the menus.

B
BIABman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
And thank you for explaining what the chat agent told you. Yes, it can be done manually by deleting some files, but I didn't expect you would do it that way. Now I understand your posts better, and you see from Trevor's posts how to do it using the menus.
👍

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,642
Posts735,389
Members38,525
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking
38,525 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 183
DC Ron 101
dcuny 89
DrDan 70
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.