Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi everyone,

It has been a while since I'm back here. It were busy times.
I noticed I missed a bunch of songs. I will catch up with them soon.
As I said it were busy days. I made 2 songs; one with Anne-Marie from RnAM, and another one with Marty. But will only post the first one for now.

It is called Change of Times,https://on.soundcloud.com/z9kJf3vbWUJMtMt86

About the song: It is a Rock-Waltz, bpm 140. It's about aging and what comes with that.
Anne-Marie joined me with the lead vocals and did the BG-vocals by herself. And she did that amazingly!
The song is a remix from an older one I made. But the lyrics, composition and used instruments are different.

I also made a video of it on YouTube:

I hope you like it, in spite of the topic ;-))
Hans
============================================================
The lyrics:
Change of times (nw)
(C) HWBerkhout 04/02/2024

When dark clouds gather
The sun fades and the sky turns gray
Then things won't get better
Oh I, hate this day

Chorus
Time flies fast when comes that day
And your future won't be around
The past echoes in your words, they will say
Then you will lose your ground

Your world becomes difficult, challenges don't wait
When aging arrives, its grip is unkind
Expectations falter, ‘cause you're out of date
And you hope it won't take over your mind

Chorus
And your future won't be around
The past echoes in your words, they will say
Then you will lose your ground
Oh yes, you'll lose your ground

=Solo=

Obsolescence is part of life
Now I’m dealing with it too
It sometimes causes strife
Or makes me feel blue

I accept I'm under attack
Though we all call it 'fate'
I accept to walk another track
It's my body that tells me to wait

Chorus
And my future won't be around
The past echoes in my words, you will say
But I need to hold my ground

I know my time is limited
But I would like some decency
Or else you can wait longer, a bit
My words will become my legacy

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
You voices complement each other well. I love Anne-Marie background vocals.
Strong composition. A musical affirmation of self.
I love this line: "Obsolescence is part of life"

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Great song and mix. My only criticism is that I thought the solo should have peaked and not troughed.

Some favourite Waoist Adages:
#1: Play on the Way.
#17: Ask not for whom the flower blooms, it blooms for you.
#69: Bring consciousness to it.
#74: On the road to effortlessness, effort must be made.
#105: Be Love Now, the rest will come on its own.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Song makes me feel old shocked
Beautiful song, your voice and Anne-Marie's complement each other very well.
Enjoyed the listen.
A lot!

Making bits and bytes sound good...

Goldmania Bella - A One-Man Girlband with no fans
Listen on Spotify
Watch on YouTube
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Lovely song. Mesmerizing how your vocals intertwine, and the BGVs are exquisite. As they say, "growing old stinks, but it beats the alternative..." Nice one!

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
StudioCat DAW dual screen
Presonus Faderport 16
Too many guitars (is that a thing?)
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hans,

This is an amazing song with amazing performances...

You and Anne-Marie sound great together and really bring the message of the song across. Great mix as well.

Love it!

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
HI Hans,

Di and I are both 77 years old. My health and mental status are still very good - I had a physical today, and the Dr. said I was as healthy as a 50-year-old!

Di, on the other hand, has been ravaged by the calendar.

This is a great song! You and Anne-Marie sound great together. The lyric is so true, unfortunately, for many folks as they age.

Best to you,

Alan

BIAB 2024 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win11*16GB DDR5*Rhyzen 9745x*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120* Acoustic/Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
I
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I
Hans.
Production, lyrics, vocals, mood all very good - bravo.
As for the video , I'm not a fan of matching images to lyrics (Marty is an even a worse offender). Try to get more creative

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Oh, Mr. Hans, I love your work. I've been a fan of your music for a long time, and now these outstanding videos you're making add to the enjoyment. And then you elevate my respect even higher by bringing in Anne-Marie to dress up your song. Great idea with glorious results. I'm also so grateful you let me listen to these as they develop --as if I need to be more impressed.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hans, you and Ann Marie make beautiful music together!
Both vocals were spot on.
I really liked that intro!
Outstanding lyrics (I can relate) and mix.

PS - I don't mind growing older its just the body falling apart that hurts!

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This is a timeless song with very impressive vocal work.
You and Anne-Marie are a great team.
Well done.

Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away.
James 4:14

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
“When aging arrives, its grip is unkind”

The above says it well!

Y’all sound great together, Hans. Both of you are such soulful singers.
The lyric is certainly relatable and the band is excellent.
The cello and piano are perfect for the mood and the banjo was surprisingly a good fit.

We enjoyed the video too, especially the end with the people reading the books following the line of “my words will become my legacy” and, of course, the cute cat.

Now let’s all remember that we can still be young at heart. 😊

Good one!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Scott, Wao and Brain,

Thanks giving me these compliments in your posts. I enjoyed them
I was hesitant to release it because it has bleak lyrics and no real solution to the problem.
On the other hand, singing together with Anne-Marie was a very nice experience and also brought a good result as you can judge for yourself.

Originally Posted by Ezekiel's Storm
You voices complement each other well. I love Anne-Marie background vocals.
Strong composition. A musical affirmation of self.
I love this line: "Obsolescence is part of life"

Hi Scott, These are really nice words from you. The only thought I had with that line you liked was: what do you like about that. I hate it ;-)

Originally Posted by WaoBand
Great song and mix. My only criticism is that I thought the solo should have peaked and not troughed.

Hi Wao, Thanks for your compliments. I was a little unsure about what you wrote after your compliments.
But first let me say that I think it's good when people give their opinions and don't wrap them up in nice words.
I looked up the word trouge because I don't know it. It meant: a very low point in the performance. In this case from the soloist.

That is a heavy statement. But let me tell you what I wanted to achieve with the solo. The violin had to play a sad solo, with whining notes, as she had done from the beginning of the song.
This is because of the sad subject.
So no roaring solo guitars. The only rock guitar was the one that provided the big accents on certain parts of the song. Those were the intros to another level of the song.

To call this a 'trough' is -for me- a misunderstaning of the song. Maybe if you listen again, especially to the structure of the song, your opinion will change.
But I probably have to accept what you think. I will do that.

Originally Posted by B.D.Thomas
Song makes me feel old shocked
Beautiful song, your voice and Anne-Marie's complement each other very well.
Enjoyed the listen.
A lot!

Hello Brain, At first: we don't want to give you the feeling you are old. The song is about when you are old. And admit it. You're old too...
Anne-Marie and I sang a Dutch song some years ago and that was nice. But singing together in English was something else.
But it turned out very good. And AM did a very good thing with the background vocals. I think it gave a lift to the middle part of the song.
At least, I was very happy with it. And now, you too.

Thanks again and have a nice day,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hey you two sound really good together on this!

Much enjoyed.

Great production and performances all around.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
The change of texture with the heavier guitars was welcome but very brief...a tease?
Two voices that work well together...I'd have liked a little more of Anne-Marie.
We're certainly constructed with a obsolescence integrated.
Fab stuff.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Well done you two.
I would bring Anne-Marie's voice up a little though and eq it to match your tone if you can.

Vic

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hans and Anne-Marie...very nice duet work here...certainly an interesting track...rock guitars and banjos...an interesting mix of instruments that compose a great band..."aging"...ahh...fun...well done Hans...I always adore Anne-Marie's voice...you can't go wrong there!

www.soundclick.com/firesong
BiaB 2024, Steinberg Cubase Pro 13, Wavelab 11.2, SpetraLayers Pro 10, Audacity, Steinberg UR44 Interface, Yamaha Genos, Roland FP60 and FP10, Windows 10

You are who you are because you do what you do because of what you believe.
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Ron, Bob, Al and Izzy,

Thanks a lot for your nice words and thoughts about the subject too.

Originally Posted by DC Ron
Lovely song. Mesmerizing how your vocals intertwine, and the BGVs are exquisite. As they say, "growing old stinks, but it beats the alternative..." Nice one!

Hello Ron, you have said it very nicely here. I like that. Yes, the BB vocals, esprecially those in the middle part were a surprise for me too. I also had other bg vocals, but I said to Anne-Marie, go ahead, surprise me. And that's just what she did! And you're right. The alternative of getting older is bad, most of the time.

Originally Posted by rsdean
Hans,
This is an amazing song with amazing performances...
You and Anne-Marie sound great together and really bring the message of the song across. Great mix as well.
Love it!
Bob

Hi Bob, thanks for this comment. Some years ago we did a Dutch song together. That was it. Till now. And I'm convinced some more songs from us will follow.
Maybe happier ones...

Originally Posted by Al-David
HI Hans,
Di and I are both 77 years old. My health and mental status are still very good - I had a physical today, and the Dr. said I was as healthy as a 50-year-old!
Di, on the other hand, has been ravaged by the calendar.

This is a great song! You and Anne-Marie sound great together. The lyric is so true, unfortunately, for many folks as they age.
Best to you,
Alan

Hello Al, you're always visiting me with nice words. But you also have nice words about your condition too! What a nice result on that physical!
I fear I can't say this for myself. However... my head is in very good condition, I can still sing and ride a bike ;-)
But heath is not given to all of us. I'm so sorry for what Di is facing. That's what I meant when singing "when aging arrives, it's grip is unkind".
And about Anne-Marie and me; it was surprising we also could sing well together in English. we knew we could in Dutch.

Originally Posted by Izzy
Hans.
Production, lyrics, vocals, mood all very good - bravo.
As for the video , I'm not a fan of matching images to lyrics (Marty is an even a worse offender). Try to get more creative

Hi Izzy, I haven't heard your name before in this forum. Maybe I missed that and also a song / video from you. Show me where I can find them.
Thank you for the kind words on the song. I had to think a while about your critics on the video. I don't mind critics at all. That's why we have this forum.
Still, I was thinking how to respond to it. Normally one could say; "well, that's your opinion, but I have another taste", but that didn't feel good.
So, at first I went to that website in your link. But to be hones, I didn't find the inspiration you told me I could find there.
Then I got another idea. If you think I, and Marty are offenders of 'good' taste, why don't you feel challenged to provide my song with a video as you envision it?
I invite you to show how to create the videos you have in mind.
Let me know if you accept that challenge!

Have a good day, everyone,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
I
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I
Hello Hans

"If you think I, and Marty are offenders of 'good' taste," [/i]

I didn't say that Hans.

"why don't you feel challenged to provide my song with a video as you envision it?"[i]

IOW, Put up or SFU. I get it Hans. I would probably say the same thing to a smug, pompous Newbie upstart.

"I invite you to show how to create the videos you have in mind."[/i]

Well Hans, I no longer bother doing videos for myself yet alone anyone else.

"Let me know if you accept that challenge!"[i]

Geez Hans calm down. Take a few deep breaths and if you are so inclined read on..................
My personel view about matching images to lyrics is that they detract from my own personal interperatation of what the lyrics say to me (the listener). Quality lyrics often tend to be somewhat metaphorical which allows the listener to "own" the song which results in a far more personal and satisfying experience . Likewise successful music videos tend to follow the same ambiguous format which allows the viewer to discover their own personal relevence to the product.
Most people do not want to be spoonfed with silly pictures. A music video on YouTube with a simple single, nice and relevent picture
with scrolling lyrics will often result in just as many views (if not more) than many a video which obviously took much time and effort to make.

Finally:

"I don't mind critics at all. That's why we have this forum."[i][/i]
It is always a fine balancing act not to cause offence but I have seen many forums slide into a "mutual admiration society" and wither on the vine.
Polite constructive criticism is the lifeblood and intelectual stimulus of a healthy forum IMO. My favourite Idiom is "a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor"
You will all have a chance to get your revenge when I post my first song.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Izzy,

Thanks for the insight into you.
Of course I knew you wouldn't accept that challenge, but it's still a shame.
And in your post I think you needed to let off some steam ( a Dutch way of saying).
But I doubt your way of telling people how to improve their creativity is effective: C’est le ton qui fait la musique! (Look it up).

And when your song comes out, I will listen and watch it, if there is a video included, with open mind. I always do that. So, don't be afraid of that.
We can learn from each other if we want to.

Bye,
Hans

Originally Posted by Izzy
Hello Hans

"If you think I, and Marty are offenders of 'good' taste," [/i]

I didn't say that Hans.

"why don't you feel challenged to provide my song with a video as you envision it?"[i]

IOW, Put up or SFU. I get it Hans. I would probably say the same thing to a smug, pompous Newbie upstart.

"I invite you to show how to create the videos you have in mind."[/i]

Well Hans, I no longer bother doing videos for myself yet alone anyone else.

"Let me know if you accept that challenge!"[i]

Geez Hans calm down. Take a few deep breaths and if you are so inclined read on..................
My personel view about matching images to lyrics is that they detract from my own personal interperatation of what the lyrics say to me (the listener). Quality lyrics often tend to be somewhat metaphorical which allows the listener to "own" the song which results in a far more personal and satisfying experience . Likewise successful music videos tend to follow the same ambiguous format which allows the viewer to discover their own personal relevence to the product.
Most people do not want to be spoonfed with silly pictures. A music video on YouTube with a simple single, nice and relevent picture
with scrolling lyrics will often result in just as many views (if not more) than many a video which obviously took much time and effort to make.

Finally:

"I don't mind critics at all. That's why we have this forum."[i][/i]
It is always a fine balancing act not to cause offence but I have seen many forums slide into a "mutual admiration society" and wither on the vine.
Polite constructive criticism is the lifeblood and intelectual stimulus of a healthy forum IMO. My favourite Idiom is "a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor"
You will all have a chance to get your revenge when I post my first song.

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,687
Posts735,976
Members38,539
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
carloncho, jofigueroajr, Zunzez, Isrra29, HukoKamb
38,539 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 179