Page 1 of 2 1 2
#84184 09/01/10 07:51 AM
Off-Topic
toucher Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hey Guys and Gals,

I'm having an issue with the wife's computer. It is an HP slimline s7700n model. 1.5 gig ram running vista.

The problem started about 3 or 4 mos ago and I've tried every fix I could find on forums, msn, etc. The problem is "Slow Download Speed" I am hooked up to the same 4 port router and am getting download speed on my XP system of 11.8 MPS. Her vista unit is .5 Mbs with an upload speed of 4Mbs.

Vista uses an Ipv6 protocol which seems to be the culprit for many people with the same problem, but after disabling that, rolling back the driver, registry cleaning, changed router cable, etc, still the same problem. I believe the nvidia 10/100 is integrated as this little slimline doesn't appear to have any slots for a new card to be installed.

We've downloaded updated drivers, rolled back drivers, disabled, enabled, went to static ips dns, you name it I may have tried it, with no change what so ever in the download speed. Connection is fine, email etc but a download of any size will time out, and / or a youtube video may take 10 min to download.

Any help you can offer that hasn't been tried, is greatly appreciated, here are some specs.

Athlon 64 X2 (W) 3800+ 2.0 GHz
2000 MT/s (mega transfers/second)
Socket AM2

Memory
Component Attributes
Memory Installed 1 GB
Maximum allowed 2 GB (2 x 1 GB)
Speed supported PC2-4200 MB/sec
Type 240 pin, DDR2 SDRAM

Hard drive
250 GB SATA
7200 rpm

Wireless
Wireless LAN 802.11 b/g
Video Graphics
Integrated graphics
Sound/Audio
Integrated High Definition audio
Realtek ALC 888 chipset
Supports up to 8 audio channels
Dolby Pro Logic II compatible
Network (LAN)
Integrated 10/100 Base-T networking interface

Expansion slots
Slot type Quantity
PCI One (None available)

Windows Vista Home Premium
Windows Media Center
Windows Anytime Upgrade

running IE 8,

Avast

Thanks in advance.........

toucher #84185 09/01/10 08:28 AM
Off-Topic
W
Expert
Expert
W
I think you've covered most all the bases. Have you turned off fire wall or avast? Are you downloading to a usb device or how's the HD empty or full and a possibility someone is piggybacking on the wifi.
Wyndham

toucher #84186 09/01/10 08:33 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I have not heard of anything quite like this.

One thing you could try that would bypass the internal network card is an external one. Get a simple USB to Ethernet adapter and try that. I have one that I got when I couldn't stop my internal network card from causing massive interrupts in music programs. DPC Latency Checker went through the roof until I took that card out. You could also try running the DPC Latency Checker and see if there is some other driver causing conflict that has the effect of slowing your network speed.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
DL Firefox and give it a try.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
toucher #84188 09/01/10 09:18 AM
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
I have a question. Are you saying that "0.5mbs Down and 4mbs Up"?
Or is it 4Mbs Down speed? Sorry if I'm confused. I have DSL and get 6megs down and 900k up on speedtests.
I'm sure I'm missing somthing here.
Wayne,

toucher #84189 09/01/10 09:36 AM
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Do you have ethernet cables plugged into the router from both of your computers, or are you using a wireless connection? If you plug your Vista computer directly into your modem, what happens?

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Wyndham #84190 09/01/10 03:01 PM
Off-Topic
toucher Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Quote:

I think you've covered most all the bases. Have you turned off fire wall or avast? Are you downloading to a usb device or how's the HD empty or full and a possibility someone is piggybacking on the wifi.
Wyndham

I have tried that, didn't make any difference at all and wasn't a factor prior to a few months ago when this all started. She is downloading to her C drive if its a file or program, but also trying to watch youtube stuff which takes forever. The HD has 120 gb of free space, and there is no one using wifi.

Off-Topic
toucher Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Quote:

I have not heard of anything quite like this.

One thing you could try that would bypass the internal network card is an external one. Get a simple USB to Ethernet adapter and try that. I have one that I got when I couldn't stop my internal network card from causing massive interrupts in music programs. DPC Latency Checker went through the roof until I took that card out. You could also try running the DPC Latency Checker and see if there is some other driver causing conflict that has the effect of slowing your network speed.

I considered an external network card, but since I don't own one, I would be hesitant to buy one for this older computer. If it has motherboard issues, I may need to replace the computer anyway. I will try the DPC latency checker, I think I have to download that into her computer first, I doubt that it's there already.

Thanks

Off-Topic
toucher Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Quote:

DL Firefox and give it a try.

IE 8 has always worked fine since she's had it, so the browser should not be the issue, this started all of a sudden, I run off the same router with XP and IE 8 works really well here.

Thanks

redguitars #84193 09/01/10 03:10 PM
Off-Topic
toucher Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Quote:

I have a question. Are you saying that "0.5mbs Down and 4mbs Up"?
Or is it 4Mbs Down speed? Sorry if I'm confused. I have DSL and get 6megs down and 900k up on speedtests.
I'm sure I'm missing somthing here.
Wayne,

The speedtest on two different sites shows download speed of about .5 Mbps and Upload speeds of
4 Mps. My XP machine runs 11.8 download and 4 Mbps as it should be with our connection the vista machine has a definate issue. I'm starting to think Realtek drivers.

thanks.

Off-Topic
toucher Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Quote:

Do you have ethernet cables plugged into the router from both of your computers, or are you using a wireless connection? If you plug your Vista computer directly into your modem, what happens?

Both systems run off the same 4 port router. Plugging the vista machine directly into the modem does not change anything. The XP has great download speed from the router or the modem, switched ports, cables etc.

thanks

toucher #84195 09/01/10 05:04 PM
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Toucher, don't know if this will help but try loading in ***www.soluto.com ****. I loaded it into a computer that was running dead slow especially on startup, and it showed a bunch of stuff loading I wasn't aware of. Someone else offered this information on an earlier forum and I found it very helpful. DennisD

There are only 3 kinds of musicians: those that can count, and those that can't!
PC AMD A4-5300 APU 3.4 GHz, 8gb RAM, 1T HDD, Windows 10,
Reaper 4.77, BIAB2018, PTPA12, RB2018, Roland VS-880 DAW
toucher #84196 09/01/10 05:53 PM
Off-Topic
R
Expert
Expert
R
Are you updating Vista? SP2 is the latest (to my knowledge)

Run the Windows Task Manager - right click on the Taskbar and choose Task Manager. From there, click on the Processes tab and see if anything is eating up CPU time. Try this when doing a download.

Check your startup using MSCONFIG from the Run menu. See if there is anything starting up you don't recognize. You can try disabling items and see if it helps.

Which security software are you running?

Check for viruses and spyware.

Rachael

Rachael #84197 09/01/10 06:36 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Hi Toucher,

Here are two long shots you may want to try. One is to dance the Security Tango, http://securitytango.com/ . This is a free but very comprehensive set of programs and instructions that will check you system for every type of bug know to computers.

The second is to check the computer logs. I’m not familiar with Vista but on XP they are located by right clicking on my computer, clicking on manage and the + button on Event Viewer. I was having a major problem with Kontakt 4. I kept getting an error message and Kontakt would not install. I checked for bugs of all kinds, drivers, programs etc. When viewing line for line in the event viewer (clicking on the up and down arrows) I discovered a problem with a Nero program. Note there was no error-warning icon in the event viewer so everything looked ok, which is why I viewed the lists line by line, i.e. Microsoft lies. I renamed the exe file to a bck file (short for backup) and I was able to load Kontakt. This only took 3.5 long agonizing weeks!

Good luck and I hope this helps.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
MarioD #84198 09/01/10 11:04 PM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
G'day Toucher,
given this happened "overnight" (if I'm reading things right) it may have been after a m$ "update tuesday". Where I'm going is there may have been an 'update" from m$ that has conflicted with something else in the machine. Check system restore to see if there is still a restore point from before the time the problem started. If so, retorn to that restore point and see what happens. This should be a safe procedure as if all else fails, you can undo the restore.

The other place to look is how Avast is scanning incoming files. Of course, there's always the usual clean up processes like deleting .tmp files etc.

--=-- My credo: If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing - just ask my missus, she'll tell ya laugh --=--
You're only paranoid if you're wrong!
Off-Topic
toucher Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Matt,

Tried the DCP Latency Checker, and it found no issues, but that's not surprising because I've already tried all the standard fixes to no avail. Guess I'll have to do the msconfig for startup, and do a one by one test on each item..........thanks for the heads up on the Checker.

Rob

toucher #84200 09/02/10 07:38 AM
Off-Topic
toucher Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, the later input from Dennis, Rachael, Mario, Lawrie, and anyone that I might have forgotten to mention. I have tried it all, I may just convert it over to XP and be done with it. Any potential issues there that I need to be aware of?

Thanks again.

toucher #84201 09/02/10 08:38 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, the later input from Dennis, Rachael, Mario, Lawrie, and anyone that I might have forgotten to mention. I have tried it all, I may just convert it over to XP and be done with it. Any potential issues there that I need to be aware of?

Thanks again.

Yea registration of the OS. If the disc you have has been used it can only be used on one computer.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
toucher #84202 09/02/10 09:20 AM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Hi Toucher,
have you tried replacing avast with a different virus chaser? I have avast and it upgraded itself a while back, and since then things have slowed down regarding the internet. I haven't done it myself yet, because av-free had a problem with spikes, but I am keeping an eye on it.

Chris
toucher #84203 09/02/10 09:24 AM
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Quote:

Quote:

Both systems run off the same 4 port router. Plugging the vista machine directly into the modem does not change anything. The XP has great download speed from the router or the modem, switched ports, cables etc.

thanks

With the Vista machine plugged directly into the modem, go to the control panel network settings and view the properties for your connection. Select Internet Protocol and click Properties. Make sure it is set to obtain an IP address automatically (assuming you aren't using a static ip).

If that doesn't work, I suggest that you call your ISP for additional suggestions. They might be able to do some tests. Maybe there is a problem with the network card in that computer.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,637
Posts735,337
Members38,524
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182