#773665 08/13/23 02:39 AM
Off-Topic
D
dmrodes Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
D
Due to extensive hearing loss (highs are gone) I had to give in and get hearing aids...$3000 later, speech is clearer, but all music has become mainly 'noise' to me - the aids over-amplify certain instruments while under-amplifying others - making songs almost unrecognizable...If anyone out there is performing while using HA, I would appreciate any comments/suggestions. After 50+ years as a musician, this is truly frustrating...

dmrodes #773666 08/13/23 03:10 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I don't use hearing aids but I do know that all medical technology is continuing to advance forward. And I learned a lot by skimming this article. There may even be products with AI these days.

https://www.healthyhearing.com/report/53122-Hearing-aids-for-music

What I found interesting from this is the better ones can be programmed.

If this were me I'd probably show up to my audiologist with my bass, bass amp and a portable boom box and say "Doc, this is what I want to continue doing." And then start rocking out to Tom Petty. He would either kick me out the office or say, "I got this, let's work the problem."

In all manner of health care I've learned that the squeekier the wheel is, the more grease it gets smile

I think there is a solution out there for you . . . all the best.

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
dmrodes #773675 08/13/23 04:41 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have a set of noise reduction/amplification headphones. I use them when I am using power equipment such as mowers, chainsaws and weed whackers, as well as grinding and cutting metal, and while enjoying my second amendment activities.

I will often simply use them in the "off" position. However, I can have them "on" and they will amplify the outside sound.... so a squirrel rummaging in the leaves might sound like a bull crashing through the undergrowth. They shut down immediately on any sound that exceeds 85dB in a couple of milliseconds above the threshold. That can make mowing the grass with them "on" a weird experience as the threshold turns on and off. Hence the reason I run them in the off position most of the time.

Another feature is that they have bluetooth capability and can link to my phone so I can actually stream music to the cans. However, the audio quality is really not very good and therefore, since I can't stand listening to sub-par quality music.... I don't often use them to listen to music while I'm working.

My main issue with hearing is that I have attenuated high frequency response. That causes issues when I mix songs and also in hearing TV and conversation clearly in the lower level parts. When 2 characters are talking quietly in a scene.... yeah, I ain't getting that....UNLESS... I'm watching it on my phone and using my decent ear buds. Then, I get every single word and nope.... not because I have the volume gagged wide open.

Anyway.... that's my dos centavos.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 08/13/23 04:43 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
dmrodes #773678 08/13/23 04:58 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The guy we need here hasn't been on the forums for a while. Scott, "Rockstar_NOT) works in auditory science in some capacity and knows a great deal about this very subject.

Wife 3.0 wore very expensive hearing aids but they were proof that "expensive" and "high quality" are not the same thing. All they did was feed back. I don't know why hearing aid manufacturers make them in a way that the signal that the batteries are running low is a high pitched tone that the hearing impaired person can't hear. Wouldn't a series of gently vibrating pulses be more effective? Or maybe have them come out of the ear and fly around like that little ball in Harry Potter.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
dmrodes #773679 08/13/23 05:02 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I've had a high frequency loss since the late 60's from mostly stupid behavior involving music and power equipment.
Over the last decade it has reached what an audiologist would term a profound loss across a lot of the spectrum. BUT ...

I have a young, smart audiologist and she was early on fascinated by my use of terminology such as EQ, compression, decibels, etc.

So together we have worked out different presets for my aids. One for general use, one for nature hikes, etc., and importantly one for mixing. Working with her and my younger wife who has amazing ears I've been able to continue and enjoy mixing ... and listening to music in general.

Soooo ... if your audiologist doesn't "get it" I'd suggest another one or if necessary buy the aids online making sure you get some that allow you to set all the parameters. My experience has been that most audiologists focus almost entirely on hearing speech well and program to reduce extraneous noises that interfere with that. But that does not enhance the music experience. IMHO it has to be custom all the way ... not just a routine of boosting your deficient ranges. And any resemblance to hearing aid technology developed over the past five years compared to older tech is coincidental.

Bud

dmrodes #773680 08/13/23 05:05 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
So, Bud, from what you said I assume that through some phone app you can easily change the present in your hearing assistance devices to fit what you are going to be doing. Is that correct?

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
So, Bud, from what you said I assume that through some phone app you can easily change the present in your hearing assistance devices to fit what you are going to be doing. Is that correct?

Yep. Takes about 10s. What I cannot do is modify the presets w/o an office or on line visit to my audiologist. Not her fault but the nature of the aids. The next set I get will be a model that allows me to readily adjust the settings of presets and create my own. New world. It's all about multi-band compression and EQ. Oh, and very effective anti-feedback tech has been around for quite a while.

Bud

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud

Soooo ... if your audiologist doesn't "get it" I'd suggest another one

+1, squeek until you get your grease.
And here is what my AI bot says about AI and hearing aids.

"Yes, AI is finding its way into hearing aids. According to an article on healthyhearing.com, hearing aids with artificial intelligence (AI) can detect your environment and learn your preferences for listening. For example, when seated in a noisy restaurant with a friend or spouse, hearing aids with AI can automatically shift to provide more comfort or more clarity to help you perform your best.

Major hearing aid manufacturers have been adding AI technology to their premium hearing aid models. For example, Widex’s Moment hearing aid utilizes AI and machine learning to create hearing programs based on a wearer’s typical environments.

Starkey Livio Edge AI is the world’s first custom rechargeable hearing aid to deliver next-generation sound performance. Their technology, Edge Mode, instantaneously adjusts to help you hear in the most challenging listening situations.
"

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
dmrodes #773695 08/13/23 06:24 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I do not have, and do not need, an audiologist-prescribed hearing aid. My right ear is still good, but my left has always had attenuated mid-range (as did my father and grandfather). I use a SONY over-the-counter 'hearing aid' from Best Buy. It has an app for my iPhone and conforms to my needs after running through the hearing test. Then I can control the volume with the app.

I use it only when mixing and transcribing music, but it definitely helps for that. I also used it when called for jury duty, in a huge courtroom with bad acoustics, a judge with a mild voice and a bad house PA, and 150 edgy people.

So the point is, there are surprisingly good solutions reasonably priced compared to $6,000 from an audiologist. Mine was $1,400.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley

So the point is, there are surprisingly good solutions reasonably priced compared to $6,000 from an audiologist. Mine was $1,400.

My high end aids cost $3K (nearly the same as yours x2) and includes replacement warranty and unlimited support from my audiologist. Anybody that pays 6 grand for a pair of aids, particularly after the recent change in over the counter availability, is either grossly under informed or has a lot of cash to throw away. Most major high end brands come with a host of options many of which one may not need. Strip it down to the essentials and get them programmed with multiple presets for what you need. That's a plural you smile

Bud

dmrodes #773811 08/14/23 09:19 PM
Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Having had an operation for Mastoid in my left ear due to Meningitis over ten years ago I have been left with approximately 14% hearing, all of it bass and muffled. The ear drum survived but the ear canal had to be rebuilt and a hole repaired where the infection went around and under the ear drum, this in turn attacked the small bones that create sound.

I was fitted with a hearing aid which did help a little with speech but I could never get on with it. Without realising it for quite some time I had learnt to lip read, this didn't become apparent until covid and everyone was wearing masks. I stopped using the hearing aid as I found it easier to lip read.

Music was no longer enjoyable and for years I rarely played at all. I asked about hearing aids which would work for music but my audiologist at the hospital said it was unlikely that I would get near to what I was hoping for with some form of aid. Then he suggested bone conductive headphones, but was unsure as to how effective, or even if they would be effective.

I found some online, Shokz open run pro and thought it was worth a try. They are not headphones in the traditional sense as they do not cover the ears, they sit just in front of the ears on the bony part of the skull. You still hear what is going on around you, I think they were designed for joggers. The sound is not as good as a traditional headphone but in my case is much better. They are not perfect, too much bass and they tend to make a sort of buzz inside your head. They may or may not be suitable for all with hearing loss but as they cost around £150 it might be worth giving them a try. I see that there are a lot more choices now available.

dmrodes #774589 08/22/23 12:00 PM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
having been on holiday i'm late replying to this thread. i'm in the UK so things might be different in the USA.

i found my recordings were getting muddy and was looking for an 'enhancer' plugin to liven up my vocals.

then i had a hearing test as my wife didn't like the tv as loud as i did. the test showed i had lost higher frequencies and hearing aids were prescribed.

the brand i got is OTICON and they have made a huge difference. the audiologist told me they were programmed to add the frequencies i had lost - in effect giving me 'normal' hearing.

i no longer want to add an enhancer to my vocals. they sound fine. how do i know my hearing is 'right' with the aids? it's the age old problem of 'is the colour red i see the same colour you see?'

all i can say is that cds played with flat eq and music streamed on smart speaker sound 'right' and so do my home recordings.

i now feel that my hearing aids are set right to give me 'normal' hearing and i wear them when i'm recording and mixing - and when i wear phones.

maybe i'm just lucky but the audiologist - free consulation and free aids on the NHS at no cost to me - and i discussed what the aids would do and they are preset - no variables. it was all very simple.

dmrodes #805550 03/28/24 03:19 PM
Off-Topic
D
D
Im 24 and just lost hearing of high to mid frequency's on my right ear about a week ago, i have trouble hearing and there is no infection or anything, wish i could have done things better and taken care of myself now i have to worry it doesn't get worse all my life, all of this while i was already going through a deep depression and chronic back pain, i know it can get better but honestly i dont see that happening. Visiting ear wax doctor makes me feel a little better, but not for a long time. It looks like i need to do it once in three -four months at least.

Last edited by danielsk; 03/30/24 06:05 AM.
dmrodes #805558 03/28/24 04:13 PM
Off-Topic
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
A good friend of mine Dr. Allen Craig, Audiologist at Harmony Hearing Center did my first hearing test and let me know I had lost quite a bit of the high frequency sound. Since I am a Army Vet I get my hearing aids for free but Dr. Allen sent me this video which is on You tube about a new product that has impressed him. Dr. Allen used to be our Front of house mixer and is also a musician himself.
Starkey Genesis AI

BIAB 2024 Ultrapack- Studio One Pro 6.5 Windows 10

dmrodes #805560 03/28/24 04:25 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Update. I now have prescription hearing aids (Starkey also), since my hearing took a strong turn for the worse a few months ago. Things are better now with the hearing aids.

Danielsk, you should consider going to an audiologist. Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Matt.
sorry to hear that mate.
i wish you the very very best.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 03/28/24 05:00 PM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
dmrodes #805675 03/29/24 03:27 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'll give input after Tuesday, when I get my first set ..
/getting old ain't for the faint of heart

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,662
Posts735,546
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173