Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#444884 - 12/13/17 10:37 AM [Songwriting] Re: Coming up with Songs [Re: Islansoul]
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina
To echo a few other comments here, I think one big rule is you have to listen to a lot of different music. Love it or hate it, I check in with Spotify once in a while and browse stuff in the various categories across all genres to see what is hot. Sometimes I get profoundly depressed and other times I get inspired, and a melodic idea or vibe will pop into my head. smile

One thing I have noticed about music as opposed to other forms of writing is that you can't (or at least I can't) choose to sit down and write a good song. (A bad song maybe, but not a good one.) I can sit down and force myself to write a book (and it is about as fun as driving a nail in your head) but it can be done.

Songs don't work that way for me. I can't try and write them. They just have to come out of the thin blue sky. It is like you are at the mercy of the gods or something. But, listening to other stuff helps, and I also spend a lot of time auditioning BIAB demos because they teach you A LOT about chord progressions and styles that work. That's golden.

Finally, there is the act of observing and taking notes.

Once upon a time, I went for a walk after a concert with one of the most famous singers and band members of the 80s and 90s. We ended up sitting on the hood of a burned out Pinto for 3 hours shooting the breeze, and while we did so a very intoxicated guy in a cowboy hat came up and started to share his life story. This famous singer pulled a cheap K-Mart notepad out of his pocket and a Bic pen and asked the guy to start over--and then wrote down every thing he said--and the talkative drunk guy was more than happy to oblige him. The beginning of this story was that God told him to stop listening to Elvis and to go Alaska and work on the pipeline and listen to the Grateful Dead. The end of the story was that God told him to hitch hike back home across the United States, read more of the Bible, and start listening to Elvis again. The stuff in between was more dramatic than the Grapes of Wrath. When the songwriter was taking notes, I have never seen anybody write faster in my life.

Later, when the band's next album came out, I heard a lot of stories and lines that sounded awfully familiar.

I learned so much from that I can't even begin to say, but I think it is all about careful observation of people, careful listening, and note taking.

Paul McCartney's Penny Lane is about a real barbershop. You can google the roundabout he is talking about and also see the barbershop building I believe. He just wrote down what he saw. It still give me goosebumps.

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com./davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#444889 - 12/13/17 10:56 AM [Songwriting] Re: Coming up with Songs [Re: David Snyder]
DaveBrooksMusic Offline
Apprentice

Loc: North Carolina, USA
Hey Mr. Dave;

Very thoughtful stuff. I've never really thought about song writing in this or any other manner because they just pop into my head and won't leave me alone until I write them down. Sometimes the lyrics come first, sometimes the music, but mostly the music comes first either by guitar of piano.

Once I have an idea, a song seems to take on a life of it's own until completed (if there is ever such a thing). I never really know how a song is going to turn out until I'm done. In many cases, they never sound the same way I first heard them in my head, but I tend to like how they morph into something that surprises the heck out of me! Revise, revise, revise...

Please keep up the good work!!!

All the Best,

Dave

HP Pavilion p6-2330; 1T; GB: 22; AMD Processor; Focusrite Scarlett Solo; Line mixer: Seismic Landsland-12p; DAW's: BIAB, Pro Tools 12.8.2 HD; Wave Pad Sound Editor.

#444965 - 12/13/17 06:04 PM [Songwriting] Re: Coming up with Songs [Re: Islansoul]
edshaw Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Colorado
Some of the great writers of the Nashville heyday
used to associate with one another. Certain places, off the beaten track.
That is what goes on here, in a very real sense.
Let me add, just this week I was learning a new scale form and chord progession. Those who feel scales are boring don't get it that is is not just running up and down the scale pattern that is important. Sure, you have to do it. The pay day is when the notes begin to speak, and the combinations take on a life.

Edited by edshaw (12/13/17 06:09 PM)
TEAC Digital deck
HD Stereo field recorder w/ clock

#445123 - 12/14/17 12:28 PM [Songwriting] Re: Coming up with Songs [Re: edshaw]
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina

Ed,

I have never understood why some people don't see a value in practicing scales in different keys.

To me, that is like a doctor saying "I don't need to learn anything about the sound of a heart beat" or a conductor saying "I don't need to know what those silly little dots mean. I just wave my wand."

Never made sense to me.

smile

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com./davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#445139 - 12/14/17 02:05 PM [Songwriting] Re: Coming up with Songs [Re: David Snyder]
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
I have never understood why some people don't see a value in practicing scales in different keys.

As Ed said, scales are a means to an end. If you want to be able to make music, playing scales is essential, but that's not all you need.

Some people are able to bridge that gap themselves, turning the scales into music.

But others could practice scales all day long, but be no closer to creating something musical, because they can't see beyond the notes.

Similarly, one of the key to writing good songs is to write lots of songs.

Most people will get better with practice. But some will continue to churn out one mediocre song after another.

There's a way of thinking musically that some people can grasp innately. For others, it's a struggle and we need all the hints we can get. Fortunately, the end result is often indistinguishable.

Dave talked about inspiration, but that's not something you can rely on. And we all have limited experiences, so that well runs dry some time or another.

Deryk mentioned listening to new music, and you told about the importance of getting inspiration from other people's stories. floydjane told about how he actively listened for some idea to use as his next song's hook.

For what little writing I've done, I've found this method is the most reliable for me:

• Come up with a hook. This is the "inspiration" part.
  • Write verses that justify the hook. This is the "workmanship" bit.
  • Make sure each verse says something new that moves the song forward.

Whether music comes first or second really depends on you.

Sometimes you might start with a great idea, and end up with a great song. Other times, you'll have a mediocre idea, but manage to bang away at it until it's fairly solid.

Once the song is recorded and done, congratulate yourself and move on to the next song.

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#446996 - 12/24/17 05:07 AM [Songwriting] Re: Coming up with Songs [Re: Islansoul]
Will Rockwell Offline
Apprentice

I find the writing of song is like unraveling a sweater. The hard part is to find that first thread, but then when you start pulling it the song Just falls out of the ceiling. That said lately I've been using BB to write songs, just fooling around with chord configurations and instrumentation until I get something that sounds good. Sometimes I'll even transfer to Pro Tools before I have a word of lyrics written. This technique has opened up new styles of songwriting, and made it much easier to get a song started.
Here's an example. I wrote this last month, I wanted to write a song that honored Tom Petty, so it needed to be Southern, and laid-back. Beyond that the only connection to Petty is the mention of Highway 441. The music was created by changing chords around in BB, I was looking for a chord progression that was repeatable and interesting. Once I got all the chords worked out, I drove around in the car listening to it until I got ideas for the words.

Listen to Blue Southern Sky by WillRockwell #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/willrockwell/blue-southern-sky

Edited by Will Rockwell (12/25/17 05:59 AM)

#447091 - 12/24/17 02:51 PM [Songwriting] Re: Coming up with Songs [Re: Will Rockwell]
Will Rockwell Offline
Apprentice

I found a thread today, we'll see how it goes. I had made a BB track I just called guitar song. Today as I worked on it I remembered something that happened in Home Depot yesterday, a man was staring at the cans of spray paint and clearly baffled. He was holding a can of Robins Egg Blue, and told me he was looking for silver. I helped him find his paint, and today was thinking about how many people disagree just because they see the same things with different eyes. I have an idea to call this song Color Blind. That's the thread, now I'll start pulling.

Edited by Will Rockwell (12/24/17 02:51 PM)

#447396 - 12/27/17 12:47 AM [Songwriting] Re: Coming up with Songs [Re: Islansoul]
duncanwhyte Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: uk
I refer to the song 'the first time ever I saw your face'. As a good example of how a song began in an obscure original version and then grew into something quite outstanding. Look it up and see what happened to it. Along the way the composers and performers and the listeners participated in a long process of realisation.

I think composing works well when there is a balance of life. So having a 'musical home', a real home, a technical discipline and practice and time to let creativity come through.

#447427 - 12/27/17 06:50 AM [Songwriting] Re: Coming up with Songs [Re: duncanwhyte]
Will Rockwell Offline
Apprentice

Originally Posted By: duncanwhyte
I refer to the song 'the first time ever I saw your face'. As a good example of how a song began in an obscure original version and then grew into something quite outstanding. Look it up and see what happened to it. Along the way the composers and performers and the listeners participated in a long process of realisation.

I think composing works well when there is a balance of life. So having a 'musical home', a real home, a technical discipline and practice and time to let creativity come through.

interesting. Here's the original version, from 1957
https://youtu.be/cXYPb0rrwbA

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Andrew - PG Music, PeterGannon 
PG Music News
New! Video RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac!

NEW with Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - Video RealTracks Sets!

Video RealTracks allow you to see the RealTracks artist playing that track - you can use them just like any other RealTrack, and you can generate a video which will display the musician playing your song exactly as you hear it. You can also include a chord sheet or notation in the video.

We've added Video RealTracks Set 1: Pop Ballad Band to our Free Bonus PAK included in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac packages during our release special (which ends May 31st!).
Video RealTracks Set 2: Country TrainBeat Band is included in the 2018 49-PAK, along with 40 Bonus UNRELEASED RealTracks, 22 MIDI SuperTracks, 101 Instrumental Studies, and Artist Performance Set 8: Traditional Songs Sung by Béatrix Méthé.

SPECIAL OFFER: During our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac release special, purchase our "Video RealTracks Set 3-6 Special Bundle Offer" to complete your purchase with the remaining Video RealTracks Sets for the low price of just $49! http://www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.videorealtracks.htm

Learn more about the new Video RealTracks and see them in action: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=fzkX6jO_hW4

Video - 202 NEW RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac we also released 202 NEW RealTracks (in Sets 278-300)!

Listen to all the individual demos here: www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.202newrealtracks.htm, or watch our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - 202 New RealTracks Overview Video: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=7ZrfGSqjaOU

Get all 202 new RealTracks when you purchase any Band-in-a-Box® 2018 UltraPAK, Audiophile Edition, or the PlusPAK upgrade - on sale until May 31st!

Holiday Hours - Monday, May 21st

We're celebrating Victoria Day on Monday, May 21st. Our hours for the long weekend will be:

Customer Service:
Saturday, May 19: 7:00am - 5:00pm PST
Sunday, May 20: 8:00am - 4:00pm PST
Monday, May 21: 8:00am - 4:00pm PST

Technical Support:
Closed (will re-open Tues, May 22 at 10am PST)

Video - The Audio Chord Wizard in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac boasts over 50 new features and enhancements... including the Build-in Audio Chord Wizard!

The Audio Chord Wizard has been redesigned and is now built into Band-in-a-Box®. Previously, the Audio Chord Wizard was a separate app and not tightly integrated into Band-in-a-Box®. This app is still available from the [Audio Chord Wizard] toolbar button, but the improved built-in Audio Chord Wizard can be accessed from the Audio Edit window.

Watch our latest video to learn more: Video link - Audio Chord Wizard in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac

Video - Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - Everything You Need to Know in Under 5 Minutes!

Want to quickly see the new features included in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac in action?

Check out this video, Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac® ! Everything you need to know in under 5 minutes*: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=XSSQpijRyxk

*The video includes an extra 2 minutes for the 49-PAK! The first 5 minutes show you all of the great new features and content available with Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac®, and it's followed by additional video showing off the 2018 49-PAK for Mac.

Xtra Styles PAKs are ON SALE until May 31st!

Xtra Styles PAK 4 was initially released with our Windows version of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows, and with the release of our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac, we're having a sale!

Xtra Styles PAK 4 has over 150 RealStyles for Rock-Pop, Jazz, Country, and 'Folk and Beyond' styles, which work with the RealTracks included in any Band-in-a-Box® version 2017 or higher UltraPAK/UltraPlusPAK, EverythingPAK, or Audiophile Edition!

We've put all of our Xtra Styles PAKs on SALE until May 31st! Purchase any Xtra Styles PAK (1 - 4) for just $29 each! (reg. $49) http://www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=mac

Listen to all the demos of these new Xtra Styles here, or check out this video: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=Zl_wr47d2V0

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - 45 Requests Fulfilled!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac is here, and there's more than 80 new features! We've answered some user requests with this release, including:

Q. I am learning guitar. The RealTracks are very helpful in that I can hear great guitar players, and most of the tracks have tab and notation as well. But there is much more to guitar, could you include some videos of some of the RealTracks Artists? Because I would learn much more from seeing a guitarist than just hearing them.

A. We have a major new feature called "Video RealTracks." These work and sound like RealTracks, but you get to see a video of the Guitarist (or whatever instrument) playing as well. The amazing thing is that this works with any chord progression you type in. So, if you want to learn to play like the great guitarist Brent Mason, for example, you can type in chords to any progression you are interested in, and then hear and see a video of Brent soloing over your progression. Now you can learn much quicker, as it helps to see how a musician is performing, as well as to hear.

Q. I use the feature to make a video of the chord sheet from a Band-in-a-Box song. I use it to make backing tracks and upload them to YouTube. But these don't include any notation for the melody and lyrics of my songs. My viewers would like to see the melody and lyrics too. Is there a way you can include the melody in the video? I've tried recording this with screen capture programs, but it's time consuming, recording in real time, and the audio quality and sync are not that good.

A. Yes, Band-in-a-Box 2018 can do this now. You can save your song as a video of the notation track. So that includes the notation, guitar tab, and lyrics. And saving the whole video and audio just takes a few seconds, much faster than real time recording. Just load in your song with chords, melody, lyrics, and/or guitar tab, and press Save-As Notation Video. Your song will be up on YouTube in no time!

Q. I am songwriter and uses Band-in-a-Box to make backing tracks for my productions. I'm starting to make videos and upload them to YouTube. Can Band-in-a-Box help with my production videos?

A. Band-in-a-Box 2018 can now make videos with Video RealTracks, of the musicians performing the RealTracks. And they are playing along to your song's chord progression. You can include these videos in your own song performance, which adds a nice visual element.

Q. I use the Audio Harmonies in Band-in-a-Box. But I find the harmonies simplistic, in that they are mainly using chord tones. The Band-in-a-Box MIDI harmonies are more sophisticated, using passing tones. Why can't my Audio Harmonies work like that?

A. We've added support for new types of Audio Harmonies in the Audio Edit Window. These do allow you to choose any Band-in-a-Box MIDI harmony that has passing tones or sophisticated jazz voicings (adding 4 parts to make a 5-part jazz voicing for example). Band-in-a-Box automatically figures out the MIDI version of your melody so it uses this to create the harmonies.

Q. The new toolbar is nice, but needs more color options. Too much grey! How about skins?

A. We've added support for skins, and you can choose color or grey scale options for toolbar, mixer etc.

And more!!!

All of the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac can be reviewed at http://www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.new.htm

Forum Stats
27507 Members
50 Forums
51800 Topics
427977 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
jcbush13, Bernman48066, jycjones01, BOSS RV-3 DD/R, bcprods

27507 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 436
zedd 192