Hi PRearden,
Quote:

I've been surfing this forum for a week or so looking for examples of what could be done with the PG programs. There is so much here that it is hard to filter for the best of the best.

If you could pick just one song that was the best that has been posted here (other than your own), what would it be?

There's no way that I could possibly answer that question and remain true to what I see is the purpose of this forum.

All the songs that are posted here are the result of many hours and even weeks or months of work and everyone posts the absolute best product that they know how to make at that point in time when they make the post. Each song represents someone's personal best at some point in time.

As I'm sure you already know, to create a song (composing the music, writing the lyrics, arranging it, mixing it and mastering a final product) is by no means an easy task. Some people get paid millions of dollars to do these things. That's why I believe it takes "guts" for the average home-recording, hobby musician to be prepared to let the world hear what s/he has done. When I comment on other people's works, I'm always mindful of this.

How I see this forum is that it's about people helping one another to get better at making good music. There's a huge amount of collective expertise amongst this forum's regulars. On a personal note, that expertise has been extremely valuable to me and has helped me get better with each song that I write. To my way of thinking, by making the User Showcase Forum a place of competition, all the effort that goes into writing the songs that appear here is belittled. It would also mean that some people would choose not to post songs because they might feel that everyone else's are so much better. These people would then miss out on the valuable help that's available here.

I note that you are relatively new to these forums. I respect that but I suspect that it means that you haven't yet really had the opportunity to get to "know" the people who visit here. That's understandable. Maybe if you are still around in a couple of months (or better yet, post one of your own works for us all to hear and maybe critique), you'll have a different outlook regarding the value of this forum.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024