You can import the melody from another program as long as you save it as a Standard MIDI file (you can also go the other way).

However, I think the note entry in BIAB is THE best method out there. Actually, BIAB presents several methods. If you use the mouse, each note will appear to be too long until you enter the next one. You can also easily enter rests. It may not seem intuitive at first, but you'll pick it up very quickly.

The measure isn't necessarily divided into sixteenth notes; you can set it for triplets. Use the little Opt button left of the Print button, and select Triplet Resolution at the far left. You can even use the right-click in the red timeline area (above the staff) to change resolution in one bar.

You can also record a melody with one key, and then adjust the pitches later. Or, if you are a lot better with a keyboard than I am, play and record it directly, knowing mouse edits are easy later. I often slow down the tempo to enter a melody with the keyboard, then bring it back to speed. You can drag a note with the mouse for either timing or pitch, or right-click on a note for finer adjustments.

Give it a try, look at the tutorials, and come back here with any questions.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors