Quote:

What was striking I don't think the actual music has 'legs'. Will it be played 30 years from now? Will their arrangements endure. I don't know, but I wouldn't bet a lot of cash on it. They showed off virtuosity. The showed great ability. But a composition needs a signature. Like great classical music you hear the riff, and say, yup. Or some jazz tunes like Satin Doll.

Wadda I know.

You know a lot John. Very happy for you that you're healthy enough to make that trip. My biggest criticism of modern jazz is it's lack of soul, taste, whatever you call it. Almost all of the compositions are merely vehicles to show off everybody's virtuosity. Every time I hear something new on jazz radio and it comes time for the sax solo, I can visualize the guy sitting in his music room with a metronome practicing all the cliche' scale lines until he gets them fast enough to put in the tune. When the greats played super fast stuff they put in original lines and figures along with the scales. Not any more. Now before someone jumps on me of course there's some good new stuff but it's basically like my favorite quote from Theodore Sturgeon aka Sturgeon's Law, "90% of everything is crap". The older I get, I think that percentage is going up.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.