Since RealDrums came into existence, we've had the capability (after checking the appropriate box on the RealDrums Settings window) to have BIAB make a decision about which choice for drums would be "best...i.e., not bad" to use in place of the MIDI drums that came with the initial MIDI file (and this works the same for a BIAB file)...and, of course, it makes the substitution automatically. Of course, this can be over-ridden by the user if they wish to do their selection manually.

It would be nice to have a similar capability for RealTracks substitutions, particularly to support quick "backporch" type practice sessions whereby you would like something better than the MIDI instruments but would tolerate (actually "prefer" in many cases hopefully) substituted RealTracks that might not be the optimal had you taken the many minutes to "listen to examples, re-try some over others, etc." as a part of a much longer selection process that you would typically use in putting together something for an actual gig (so I'm talking about a "first order approximation" here....cough, cough). Even this "automatic substitute" process would still take some time for the automatic selection and loading time, but I could envision a folder of say 30 tunes that I plan to practice with for several hours (or the next few days). It would be nice to turn on the selection capability to be applied to a particular folder while I go do a chore or two (or overnight if needed).....i.e., it finishes in 30 minutes or an hour or so (depending on how many files you have in the folder) and is ready to go after that. Again, I'm talking primarily for use in practice sessions or an impromptu session with a couple friends (i.e., non-gig stuff).....and the substitutions would happen only for identical type instruments (i.e., a MIDI fiddle is replaced with a RealTracks fiddle, a MIDI acoustic guitar is replaced with a RealTracks acoustic guitar, etc.).

Actually, as more and more RealTracks are added, if the above was done with "careful foresight -- already an inherent part of PGMusic's operations", it seems to me it could evolve into a really nice future capability. Obviously it would be a bit of a challenge, but my guess is something similar to this has already been discussed at PGMusic...or has already been discussed in another thread.....or maybe it's of no interest....if so, then MY BAD!!!

Another option to the above would, I suppose, just be that of getting RealTracks to load in much faster (i.e., close to "real-time") eventually.......and I'm certain that's been on PGMusic's radar for some time.

Thanks,
cchalllum