According to the MIDI Settings box the channels are set to the defaults, ie, Bass = 2, Piano = 3, etc.

I reset to factory original settings and the Microsoft Wavetable synth works okay (as okay as it can - that's why I don't want to use use it) with different voices for bass, piano, etc. But as soon as I select a soft synth everything goes to hell and anything that is not a Realtrack comes out with the same patch on the soft synth. I can't even find anywhere in the Synth window to select patches for different tracks - I tried the Lounge Lizard multitimbral piano synth too, but everything comes out with the same piano then - the one that comes up in the Synth DXi window. I have Halion but it does not display properly (15% of the window is cut off at the bottom) in BIAB and is unusable, which is a real drag.

I have tried all the MIDI drivers available in the MIDI/Audio drivers setup but nothing seems to work right except the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth, which I don't want to use. For input I have the choice of MIDISPORT 2x2 In A and 2x2 In B; for MIDI Output drivers I have a choice of No MIDI/Sound Output, Microsoft MIDI Wrapper, Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth, MIDISPORT 2c2 Out A and Ditto Out B. I have the Use VST/DXi Synth checked currently and also the Route MIDI Thru to MIDI Driver. I have tried various pulldown options under the Synthsizer/Sound card menu, but none of them made a difference and at the moment it is set to synth/sound card not listed.

It's quite frustrating.