If you don't mind a bit of a digression here...

When I was a kid, there were these rides in front of the grocery stores - a rocket, train or fire engine... That kind of stuff. And my brothers and I would beg our parents to let us ride on them. My recollection was that they were always reluctant, but I'm sure I'm only remembering my disappointments. The rides were always too short, and we'd immediately be saying "Again!"

The rocket ride was always my favorite - it was shaped like the one in the one in the "Huckleberry Hound Lands on the Moon" ViewMaster reel (which just happens to be on my desk right now because my kids were going through the reels the other day):

I knew the ride wouldn't really head out to space, but in the back of my mind, I still hoped for some small, improbable chance that it just might happen. And the imagery of that fantasy was strong and vibrant - I could picture the rocket barreling through the clouds, and into the upper stratosphere.

When my own kids were younger - not that long ago! - I tried to make time for them to go on those ride when they asked, It really is true that they grow up fast.

Anyway, the other week I was taking my teenage son around town, and we passed by the K-Mart we used to shop at when I was a kid. I remarked how the rides were gone, and told him the part that sucked about becoming an adult was how your imagination - and being open to something impossible - withered away.

To the point: when I read the title "Rusted Rocketship", it really resonated with me. It's just a throw-away line, which is why I assume you've changed the title.

Now, I'm not suggesting that you write any of this as a song. (I can write my own damn song, thank you very much. Or apparently, I can't. )

I'm just suggesting you might be another song hiding in that title.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?