Certain effects, such as rotary speaker, depend on the stereo field in order to work.

For example, a good rotary speaker ("Leslie") simulation must be able to deliver a spatial sound distribution that is constantly changing, as well as any simple Amplitude Modulation that the spinning speaker delivers. The rotating speaker effect contains both Frequency and Amplitude changes, as well as a rather complex series of phase distortions that all work together to deliver that sound.

If you attempt to recreate that effect in mono, it sounds like a rather weird Tremelo effect because there would be no spatial L to R abilities.

When recording, if you use any of those effects on a track, simply record that track in Stereo or to two mono tracks which must be panned hard left and hard right respectively at playback to hear the effect properly.

I solve the problem by simply recording my guitar amp simulators in stereo at all times. These days, with more powerful disks and computers, unless the track count gets inordinately high, I find no need to bother with recording those certain tracks that are mono to a mono track. The mono stuff on the stereo track is still mono as both tracks are identical. If I do want to pare off one channel after recording, most DAW softwares have a function to do that and create a mono track from the stereo. Just don't have it do that to the tracks that use stereo effects or you will be right back to the original problem and won't hear the full effect.

--Mac