I was given Cubase LE4 with a guitar pedal I bought as a 'freebie'.

Here is my advice: Make a backup disk image before you try to install it if you decide to do so.

Why?

I was curious and started the installation. The first thing it did was install the copy protection, what it called a "software dongle". The installation stalled and locked up my computer - frozen solid.

So I restart, and during the boot up process, as Windows is loading, it asks me to complete the installation - same results - frozen solid.

Third time, same thing.

Couldn't get Windows to finish loading so System Restore was out of the question. I guess I could have tried booting in the safe mode, but I made a complete Norton Ghost image before installing the software (something I always do before installing anything). So I restored the HD to it's pre-installation condition and tossed the CD in the trash.

Why did they put copy protection on something they are giving away for free? I have no idea.

I've been having problems with my favorite sequencer, Master Tracks Pro. Ever since GVox bought it there have been serious bugs in the software that haven't been addressed for years. So I was curious to see if Cubase would fill my needs. If I liked LE4 I would have bought the regular edition. Unfortunately for Cubase, I didn't get to try it, so they have no chance of selling me the full edition.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks