Quote:

Have you asked them this question? If sound travels through the house as well as you suspect, then they just MIGHT prefer to only a loud sax, instead of a loud sax AND the backing tracks.

Well I guess thats true.

Quote:

As for grilles - the monitors belong on stands, at ear-level. If you aren't going to bother getting the monitors at proper listening level, quite honestly, you are wasting your money even bothering with monitors. The models you have listed are all near field monitors - intended to be used at ear-level. Putting them up at ear level should put them out of harms way. That's one of the reasons you don't see grilles on many systems intended for monitoring.

As far as near field goes - I'll be within a couple of metres or so, and could mount them higher for better sound and protection.

I guess part of the problem is I really would prefer an "all-in-one-box" (well two boxes obvoiusly) solution, ie active speakers of some sort.

But the options seem to be either:

1 Multimedia speakers - which are typically too feeble
2 Near field reference monitors - which are a bit over the top on sound quality, and often not enough W
3 Disco type speakers - 500W plus monsters and probably not great sound.

So I guess I'm just wondering if there's anything else, or if not which of these will be best for my mixed
uses.

Cheers Tom