That's $3k, people. And doesn't include the recommended software. Nuendo has some of the best automation out there--for $1500 to $2000 by itself. Naturally, you'll want a machine worthy of that, so there's another $2k to $3k, plus dual high-resolution monitors. And, of course, a multitrack interface and control surface--say $3500. Oh, wait--now you'll want 5.1 surround, too. Multiple speakers x4 plus a sub. Hmmm . . . since I don't have an ideal space to record in, I'll be wanting IK Media room-correction software and a reference mic, too. Do the maths.

I know. I have a close friend who has all of the above and even lets me play with it from time to time. What does he do with it? We don't even have a name for it. (I call it "acid Dixieland," code for 100% improvisation from individuals with varying degrees of talent and ability.)

Look, you can spend anything you want to at this. I think the point was to work with what we have courtesy of PG Music, with some good low-mid speakers, mics, and interface. Everything is going to end up in 16/44.1, anyway, and few of us have aspirations to the moonrock level of excellence. Maybe we should, but I suspect that most of us don't.

Wasn't that fun?

R.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."