Hi Brian,

One way to create the kind of trade offs that you are after is as follows.
  • Put one of your solo Realtrack in the "Soloist" position of BIAB.
  • Put the second solo Realtrack in the "Melody" position of BIAB.
  • Make a note of which bars you want to change from one instrument to the other.
Essentially, what I'm going to suggest below is to activate one instrument for a range of bars and then to mute the other. This is achieved by using "Bar Settings" (where the previously mentioned "Reset all bars" is located).

As an example, let's use fiddle and guitar as the two instruments (as you suggested).
Now, say I want the guitar to play bars 1 to 8 and then the fiddle comes in for 9 to 16, and then it goes back to guitar at 17 until the end of the song.
  • Right-click on bar 1 and select "Bar Settings".
  • Set the Melody track to "Normal" (see picture below).
  • Set the Soloist track to "Mute". (I'm assuming that the guitar is in the Melody and the fiddle is in the Soloist.)
  • Right-click on bar 9, select "Bar Settings".
  • Now set the Melody track to "Mute".
  • Also set the Soloist track to "Normal".
  • Lastly, right-click on bar 17, "bar settings", and set the Melody to "Normal" and the Soloist to "Mute".
  • Generate the song.
That should do it!

Each time you make a bar setting, BIAB will put a red rectangle around the bar number as seen in the picture above. (The picture indicates that I've set bars 1, 9, 17.)

NOTE: If the picture doesn't show up, it's because of a web issue. I'd try again later if that is the case.

Good luck!
Noel

P.S. When you get the hang of this, you might like to look up "Soloist Medleys" in the 2011 New Features pdf that's located under the Start Menu in the BIAB folder. This feature is also covered in the 2011 New Features video on the website that I gave in the post above.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024