The emachines name is still suffering a bad rep from the junk the original company put out there long ago.

Since the Gateway takeover, the Emachine lineup represents a very good value indeed.

Having bought several for myself and others, I have always been pleased with them - and with what I have found on the inside of them. Good stuff, for the most part.

Even the metal edges inside the cases are rolled and polished such that there are no sharp edges to cut fingers on.

I am fully able to build my computers and used to build all of them, then moved to only building the ones I would use for DAW music work, now, the last DAW bought here is an Emachine that has turned in yeoman's service as a DAW and works and plays well with pgmusic products. The only thing custom that I have done is to replace the original power supply with a larger capacity power supply with quieter fan, this to have a bit more power to run aftermarket soundcards when recording and also to reduce noise.

Many people who used to custom build thier music making puters are now using OEM off-the-shelf builds, not only from the Emachines lineup, but from other mfrs as well.

I see no reason why someone should have to build from scratch to enjoy home recording anymore.

Because, The Times Are A-Changin' on that front...

--Mac