Quote:

Maybe I'm missing something, though ...

Martin,

I think there may be some confusion about the term “notation software”. The simplest analogy would be to compare it to going to your local music store and buying a book of blank music staff. Nothing but lines. (I still have a partially used one laying around from many years ago, aka the bad ole days). It’s partially filled with music that I laboriously entered note by note with a pencil.

Fast forward a few years and you have music notation software. You start with a blank slate. You either enter everything manually, import it, or use some sort of MIDI device to enter each note and nuance. (Notice I didn’t say record).

You can either write your own music, or take sheet music and manually enter the whole thing into the program. The programs include options for standard notation and TAB. They will even play the music after you’ve entered it, and use whatever instrument you’ve assigned to each track. You can then print professional quality sheet music, and the sheet music you buy was actually created on a “notation program”.

Examples of “notation programs” are Finale, (which PG Music sells and even offers bundles with BIAB), Sibelious, Guitar Pro, and many others.

BIAB is not a “notation program”. That’s why they sell Finale.