No doubt about it, for the student, tab is the easiest and fastest way to convey to him what you want him to play. Many of the transcriptions I have are in tab. Easiest way to learn them. I like the the stems on the tabs, too. Never seen them before. Very cool.

That being said, I've never had a gig, and there have many over the years, where the MD gave me my part in tab, and if I had asked for it in tab, I suspect they would have gotten someone else. Now that's a completely different situation from practicing. It's work, and you're paid to play what the arranger's written.

But for the student, or someone who plays for his or her own enjoyment, or plays in a group where nobody reads, tab is the way to go, for sure. But at some point, if the student is serious about learning his instrument, he'll need to learn how to read.

And Dan, I know a few guitar players here who attended Berklee (I assume that's where you meant in your post) and they are excellent, I mean EXCELLENT readers. And the cats can blow. They never had tab when they attended back in the 70's. They had to learn how to read, or leave. It's different nowadays, and I mean that in a good way. The students learn faster. But believe me, before they graduate, they better know how to read.