I will dispute that ONLY because when I loaded up Sonar to test (and touched nothing physical, just shut down RB and booted Sonar) I recorded just fine, so the M-Audio is set up correctly. The interface doesn't know what software is recording what it sends through it, correct? Sonar, Cubase, Pro Tools, BIAB.....

The M-Audio is configured through Windows control panel sound hardware settings. I can pick 1-2 or 3-4, and I tried every combination. When I was testing with Sonar I changed it from 1-2 to 3-4, made the appropriate cabling changes, and recorded a second time into Sonar. So once again, I eliminated physical. That leaves logical.

Once again, computer nerd boy that I am, I am thorough when I troubleshoot, but I can only troubleshoot what I know to look for. The next step takes me into help files, and the FAQ and help files offered nothing in the area of "How to troubleshoot when your input does not register on the VU meters and does not record." A lot of "How to connect...." Nothing on "When you can not record...."

I can not have BIAB turn into a second full time job. It is supposed to be "user friendly plug it up and go" and it is far from that. I understand learning curves as well as anybody, but this is ridiculous. 90 minutes in the helps and no answer anywhere.

And if one more person tells me about drivers....

One last time... a driver is simply a piece of software that tells your operating system what hardware to use. If it works for one program, or two, or twelve, it HAS to work on the 13th. Drivers are not intuitive to know what program is running. It is on or off, black or white, yes or no, works or doesn't work. No shades of gray. If some piece of software requires a different audio driver (which, by the way is an anomaly - hardware requires drivers, not software) then that software needs to step in line with industry standard and not require a proprietary driver (Are you listening HP with your Laser Printer 5 drivers that don't like Windows 7?). Changing from ASIO to MME (legacy) does make a difference as far as how data is passed, and the ASIO does not work on my computer, probably because I have not looked for updates. (And that switch in BIAB just aligns BIAB to what the computer is running.) Everything works just tip top with BIAB and RB until I get to trying to record external sources. That tells me I do not have a driver issue, or nothing would work. There is also the WDM (Windows Driver Model) option, but once again, propeller head Eddie says that "logic dictates" that you should not have to be changing drivers in mid session to get one function of a program to work.

Drivers has become everybody's cliche answer to every computer problem. And this is not a computer problem. This is a BIAB/RB problem.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.