I worked an IT contract some years back, maybe 2005, and that contract took me into the inner city schools. I was appalled to see what I saw. Most of these kids never took the earbuds out of their ears while sitting in class. And was more appalling, most of the teachers didn't care. As we signed out of the building, the principal happened to be there and was thanking us for coming. He walked out with us and I said "I have to ask you, on or off the record, don't you care that the teachers let kids listen to music instead of paying attention?" His reply startled me. He said "This is a city school. These teachers have contracts. All they are required to do is show up and do their bare minimum, and 90% do exactly that. They don't care about other people's kids at all. And that is off the record."

I found that sad. And it angered me that I help fund those schools with taxes, and that those same teachers will whine about not making enough money. The three rooms I was in... those teachers were making TOO MUCH money. One was complaining that she had 22 kids in her class. I was never in a room of less than 40 students. And the teacher walked in and said "Let's get started", and that room went dead silent and stayed that way for 45 minutes.

But on topic, music and art, the only outlet for kids who are artistic and not athletic, is still sneered at by many of the Neanderthal types who don't understand that not everybody is the next Lebron James. Who, by the way, went to a private school, out of his district, paid for by a sponsor, and took remedial classes for 4 years. Amazing what a 6'7" 250 pound body and some athletic ability will get you.... he can barely read, he can barely use the native language of the country he lives in. But, see: "6'7" 250 pound body" above....

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.