I'm gonna take the other side of this argument for the sake of discussion.

The benefits attributed to a good musical education can also be derived from other things:

Martial arts build strength, discipline and coordination...

Religion builds character, compassion, awareness of fellow man...

Scouting builds a sense of self reliance, discipline and a skill set that branches in a hundred directions...

the list could go on, but the point is that many desirable things are learned OUTSIDE school. As Mac said, it is first and foremost the role of family to notice, develop and support the talents of the kids. To blame lack of opportunity on society is a cop-out

Furthermore, One argument that is made when kids complain about the necessity of various classes is that the school experience is meant more as an EXPOSURE to the topic, and more comprehensive understanding can be pursued later. Culturally, we are already OVER-exposed to music. There's little chance that any kid will grow to adulthood and lament that he was under-stimulated musically.

But I OFTEN hear young adults lamenting that they never got prepared for real life by their school curriculum, and that they entered adulthood without a practical knowledge of real career options.

Instead, almost every young kid I meet believes he is destined to be a world-reknowned musician. Read the Craig's list musician ads... they really think they are on the way to stardom.

Many of these kids will eventually get a job in fast food and won't know enough about math to make change if the computer goes down. Don't ask how I know this.