I never said every kid should have to take music classes (mandated). Yer moving the goalposts on me .. I feel that, due to the demonstrable benefits it should be available if possible.
Truth is, there are serious cuts coming to everything in the near future. Hard choices will be made on where cuts are placed. If you have something that improves the learning ability and general well-being of students, there should be serious thought before cutting.

Comparing music class to school sports isn't a fair comparison either. Band members must rent or purchase their students' instruments. How many schools require the football team to purchase their own equipment? The basketball team parents supply the balls? Answer is 'None' as far as my experiences go (yeah I played some sports). Normally IF a school has a marching band those uniforms were purchased by parents doing a 'Band Booster' event or such and raising money. Much more of the actual public's money goes toward sports than music. I doubt the real return is close to being the same, except for the "I used to be able to throw a football a quarter mile" aspect. <grin>

Also, for every Craigslist soon-to-be-music-star, there are more than a couple soon to be pro ball players out there. Quite a few of them carry that facade into college and waste their secondary education too. Not quite as many college music students riding their way thru without learning. Again, just another side of the coin.
Fun discussion.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome